Taxi, not fly an acft for an annual.

bluesideup

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
bluesideup
Hi everyone.
Is Insurance / FAA going to have a problem if an acft that is Out of annual gets into an accident during taxi to a mech on the same field?
Yes, I know not likely, but I've seen fuel trucks driving into acft while they were holding for TO.
Thanks.

For guidance see
14 CFR § 91.409 (a)
14 CFR § 1.1 Definition „ Operate“

The purpose here is not air navigation or piloting, so the FAA would not my concern. But to avoid any kind of discussions, why not just towing the a/c to the shop?

I am on a field where I have my annual done. Often they tow the plane to the shop, other times I taxi over.
Besides that, if I was out of annual, I wouldn’t have a problem taxiing over to the shop. I feel the risk level doing so is very low, the next may feel differently.

The real question is, do you have to report an accident on an unairworthy aircraft that didn't even fly?

I ran into a similar concern when finishing the build of my airplane. The airplane needs to be ready to fly to get the airworthiness cert (at least per the DAR I used), so I needed to taxi test, and definitely break in the brakes (med speed taxi with moderate braking).

As said above, if there is no intent to fly, the FAA doesn't get involved.

I did make my insurance company answer in writing that taxi testing was covered even without the airworthiness, and they did so. The language in the actual policy was not clear.

I ran into a similar concern when finishing the build of my airplane. The airplane needs to be ready to fly to get the airworthiness cert (at least per the DAR I used), so I needed to taxi test, and definitely break in the brakes (med speed taxi with moderate braking).

As said above, if there is no intent to fly, the FAA doesn't get involved.

I did make my insurance company answer in writing that taxi testing was covered even without the airworthiness, and they did so. The language in the actual policy was not clear.

My DAR did the same. Wanted me to taxi the plane so he could watch a brake test. He also wanted to look at the instrument panel and verify that the gauges were working (the ones that could be verified on the ground). I agree with @sourdough44 that the risk of moving the airplane on the ground should be minimal.

Unless the aircraft insurance policy specifically excludes coverage of aircraft out of annual, I don't see why it would matter. FAA won't likely care either as long as there is no intent to take flight.

Hi everyone.
Thank you for the feedback.
Best, as some said, to contact the Insurance.

Is your insurance policy ambiguous on this? I would be surprised if it is.

And if a fuel truck drives into your plane, I'd be more worried about his insurance than yours.

What will the insurance company consider a taxiing aircraft . Most policies state in motion and not in motion.

So there I was…

Ok, never mind. Cliff notes. Bought a project right after a wreck. Several months later get a call from insurance agent… you got so and so? Yep. Can I come look at it for his claim? Yep.

Mind if I look at the logbooks? Nope. Hmmm… it was out of annual. Yikes, bad for seller?

The answer surprised me: nope, we’re not in the business of regulation enforcement.

Ooooooooh…. Cool. He went on to say they used to try and deny claims for stuff like that, but kept getting beat in court. Interesting.

Side note… the real reason he contacted me was that since the seller made a claim, and it was totaled, wasn’t his to sell! Yikes! Bad for me… except the guy simply asked what I paid, I told him.. he said he was gonna settle the claim for the hull amount minus that and let laying dogs lie. Was pretty common sense, I was impressed.

I am on a field where I have my annual done. Often they tow the plane to the shop, other times I taxi over.
Besides that, if I was out of annual, I wouldn’t have a problem taxiing over to the shop. I feel the risk level doing so is very low, the next may feel differently.
Taxiing to the shop for an annual accomplishes at least one thing, it will be warmed up for comp test (if following mfg instructions )

So there I was…

Side note… the real reason he contacted me was that since the seller made a claim, and it was totaled, wasn’t his to sell! Yikes! Bad for me… except the guy simply asked what I paid, I told him.. he said he was gonna settle the claim for the hull amount minus that and let laying dogs lie. Was pretty common sense, I was impressed.
You bought it, saved the insurance company the pain of moving and storing the aircraft and then trying to auction it off. He's gonna play nice with you.

Back