Talk to me about glasses

Tried progressives, years ago, just couldn't adapt. Was happy with bifocals until about four months ago.

Had a cataract in my master eye, had a lens replacement this spring and paid extra for the full vision correction. It worked...I've now got the same vision in that eye I had as a teen, 20/15. Almost tested at 20/10.

Had intended to just get bifocals with plain glass for the distance portion, but got to really like not wearing glasses. So I take the bifocals when going outside the house (restaurants, traveling, etc.). Got my old pair of flying sunglasses re-lensed to match my current vision (right eye is 20/30). Did that since they're small frame and fit better under goggles.

Don't wear glasses around the house, have a crap-ton of readers. One by each couch I"m likely to read at, one at my favorite chair, one in the shop in the garage, one on the bench in the hangar, another stashed in the car's center console, another in the backpack I take on trips (backup to the bifocals). Costco sells a four-pack for something like $16. Also picked up a couple different types of low-profile readers (half-lens "granny glasses", etc.) to tuck in my pocket if I'm going to the store or something.

The biggest advantage is the sunglasses. I used to get bifocals with the transition lenses, but of course, they don't work behind a windshield. I've got very light-sensitive eyes, and this bothered me a lot. Bought several pairs of cheap sunglasses. One thing to be aware of is that your grocery-store sunglasses are inevitably polarized, and they don't "play well" with some types of displays. Photo on left was taken through a set of those grocery-store sunglasses.
1722623719239.png

Surprisingly, it's hard to FIND non-polarized sunglasses. Usually end up costing more. Bought a set from ACS, but my re-lensed sunglasses work fine.

Ron Wanttaja

I ordered a few sets of just tinted (non-polarized) from Zenni for flying (makes the LCD displays hard to read otherwise), but I screw up a lot and get the wrong pair. My regular glasses are transitions anyhow so I always can fall back on that.

Sit in your plane and measure the distance to your lap or yoke mounted readables. Then the distance to your panel, avionics, gauges. Tell the optometrist these distances, your angle of viewing, and why you need them that way.

Flew with a capt that had quite the routine for managing his THREE pairs of glasses AND contacts… would have been scared if not so impressed.

Right out of Star Trek, Kirk was allergic to them. , You can get eye drops that will aid with near distance vision for a few years. Vuity

I wear multi focal contacts for most activities, it’s a compromise. Distant vision is a bit fuzzy as is near vision. I put up with it for convenience.

For flying I have good progressives with transitions lenses. So much easier than juggling reading glasses and sunglasses.

I'm 44, flown since I was 22 (holy cow....half my life now!) Commercially since I was 24, I'm as blind as a bat and wear the expensive progressives, it's worth it. NEVER had a problem flying.

Back