Talk Me Out of a Cirrus

And Jim didn’t say which pictures on his phone he was referring …….

Yes we closed with some minor drama today. I've been on the road since Sunday. Still need to fly the Seneca home tomorrow. I'll do a write up tomorrow. Maybe.

But I have a new plane.

Hold on just a minute.

You actually bought a twin.

And I wasn't the first person you told?! And here I thought we were friends. ;)

Seriously, congratulations! You'll never go back.

Yes we closed with some minor drama today. I've been on the road since Sunday. Still need to fly the Seneca home tomorrow. I'll do a write up tomorrow. Maybe.

But I have a new plane.
Congratulations! Despite my ambivalence to its handling qualities, the Seneca is a spacious and capable light twin. If your new plane was well-maintained, it will be a good experience.

I hope your training goes well. The second engine, turbocharging, and FIKI open up an entirely new range of options. That also means a new range of decisions. If sufficiently experienced, your MEI should go beyond the maneuvers and procedures necessary for the rating and help prepare you to get the most out of the plane in the real world.

Congratulations on the plane. Don't skip leg day. :cool:

Small write up is here:

I've been dabbling in changing planes over the past 8 months. That's what happens after you drop tons of money into avionics. You waste it and go to another plane, right? Currently I fly a PA32R (Piper Lance) and I do so because of how much it carries. However, as I've switched companies and can now fly myself for work, I wish I could go faster and have some ice protection. My biggest limitations are hangar width and opex. I'd love to have an Aerostar but I'd be bankrupt in 5 years and don't have a hangar big enough to store it. I'd love to have a PA46 (Malibu....not Meridian) but the hangar issue comes into play again. They don't make them that wide here. I looked at Senecas but everything on the market is junk and I'm not convinced I want to be in a twin.

So now I'm looking at SR22T G5s. The problem is I don't want to give up the useful load. I could go without the T but flying up higher gives better speed. Those usually come with AC and that helps kill the useful. I'm seeing mostly 1100 pounds. My current plane gets 1430.

I get torn between my mission. 60%-70% of the time I don't need 1430. But sometimes I do need it for LifeLine Pilots flights and they specifically call me when they have a heavy one that is harder to fill. But on the flip side, I mostly fly solo. Having the AC would be nice too. As I get older, I hate sweating when flying more and more.

I've actually never flown in a Cirrus (well...not a piston. got to fly in the jet twice) so I need to do that. Really this post is just me rambling on. You're welcome to reason me one way or the other. Heck I was looking at a $900k TBM 700 the other day. I've hit full on midlife crisis really. :cool:
I was chief mechanic for a flight school and we had 2 DA40's a few 172's and a 210.. the Diamonds were fast, pretty, joystick between your legs (no jokes) and no stinking parachute

Back