Take instrument checkride without medical?

Legally/regulatory able and demonstrably able are two different things.

I was signed off to take written. After passing written and working to schedule the practical, I ran into medical issues with the FAA.

Some threads, and even AOPA, said it’s a grey area. If you can find a DPE to agree to act as PIC, you can do IFR check ride.

I’m not sure why you keep bringing up flying a LSA. I’m not flying anything at the moment.

But you’re incorrect. I CAN fly a LSA, or any aircraft for that matter. I can’t, however, fly solo or act as PIC.

The question is can I do a check ride for IFR with the DPE acting legally as PIC even though I’m “PIC” as sole manipulator of controls.

I’m leaning towards no, I'm seeing arguments for yes, but it’s not “recommended” by the FAA.
You say,
§ 61.23 Medical certificates: Requirement and duration.

(3) Must hold at least a third-class medical certificate—

(iii) When taking a practical test in an aircraft for a recreational pilot, private pilot, commercial pilot, or airline transport pilot certificate, or for a flight instructor certificate, except when operating under the conditions and limitations set forth in § 61.113(i);

But you leave out,
(b) Operations not requiring a medical certificate. A person is not required to hold a medical certificate—

(10) When taking a practical test or a proficiency check for a certificate, rating, authorization or operating privilege conducted in a glider, balloon, flight simulator, or flight training device;

You have to exercise privileges of a private pilot to get a IR. You can’t operate as an SP and must minimally have basic med.

Last edited:
You say,
§ 61.23 Medical certificates: Requirement and duration.

(3) Must hold at least a third-class medical certificate—

(iii) When taking a practical test in an aircraft for a recreational pilot, private pilot, commercial pilot, or airline transport pilot certificate, or for a flight instructor certificate, except when operating under the conditions and limitations set forth in § 61.113(i);

But you leave out,
(b) Operations not requiring a medical certificate. A person is not required to hold a medical certificate—

(10) When taking a practical test or a proficiency check for a certificate, rating, authorization or operating privilege conducted in a glider, balloon, flight simulator, or flight training device;

You have to exercise privileges of a private pilot to get a IR. You can’t operate as an SP and must minimally have basic med.
Apparently you missed when I said:

The question is can I do a check ride for IFR with the DPE acting legally as PIC even though I’m “PIC” as sole manipulator of controls.

I’m leaning towards no, I'm seeing arguments for yes, but it’s not “recommended” by the FAA.
The answer to the initial question is not that difficult. Do you qualify for BasicMed? If so, follow this path. Even so the checklist for the examiner in Appendix 5 of ACS-IR mentioning BasicMed has been removed in the current edition -8C, the law has not changed.

Perhaps a good time to sign up for AOPA‘s Legal Service Plan

I called AOPA and they even said it's not clear and up the the DPE. So, I don't know...:dunno:

I called AOPA and they even said it's not clear and up the the DPE. So, I don't know...:dunno:

What if a DPE grants your request, you pass and Oklahoma City revokes the rating? Maybe you put your question in writing with all the facts and submit it to your local FSDO.

The FAA advises DPEs not to accept PIC responsibility during practical tests. I doubt you will get a DPE who has knowledge of the full situation to provide the test without direction in writing from the FAA because they don’t want to lose their DPE designation.

Last edited:
What if a DPE grants your request, you pass and Oklahoma City revokes the rating? Maybe you put your question in writing with all the facts and submit it to your local FSDO.

The FAA advises DPEs not to accept PIC responsibility during practical tests. I doubt you will get a DPE who has knowledge of the full situation to provide the test without direction in writing from the FAA because they don’t want to lose their DPE designation.
That's the conclusion I've come to...it's possible to make this accommodation. It's unlikely that you will find a DPE, however, that will make the accommodation.

You need to first under stand that someone is the PIC, and must fully be qualified to be PIC. THere's no "PIC" half-assedness. Even the inane CFI-dummy commercial provisions doesn't make the student the PIC.
Unless you have a medical (or basic med) where appropriate, you can not be PIC.

As I stated before, while there's not an outright prohibition on the DPE being PIC, the FAA in the information provided them STRONGLY discourages it. Given the fact that DPEs are doled out and rescinded in a corrupt and capricious manner, you're highly unlikely to find some DPE to stick his neck out and put down his cushy six figure lifestyle to accomodate you.

You need to first under stand that someone is the PIC, and must fully be qualified to be PIC. THere's no "PIC" half-assedness. Even the inane CFI-dummy commercial provisions doesn't make the student the PIC.
Unless you have a medical (or basic med) where appropriate, you can not be PIC.

As I stated before, while there's not an outright prohibition on the DPE being PIC, the FAA in the information provided them STRONGLY discourages it. Given the fact that DPEs are doled out and rescinded in a corrupt and capricious manner, you're highly unlikely to find some DPE to stick his neck out and put down his cushy six figure lifestyle to accomodate you.
Agreed, that's the conclusion I've come to as well.

Back