Sunglasses

weirdjim

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
weirdjim
OK, I've busted my last pair of Serenghettis dropping them onto the concrete floor at DIA last weekend.

I'm in the market for a pair of PLASTIC lens (preferably unscratchable hard plastic) sunglasses. Any suggestions? Sources?

Thanks,

Jim

OK, I've busted my last pair of Serenghettis dropping them onto the concrete floor at DIA last weekend.

I'm in the market for a pair of PLASTIC lens (preferably unscratchable hard plastic) sunglasses. Any suggestions? Sources?

Unscratchable & plastic don't go together. You can get a scratch resistant coating which might last a year.

I've done everything from prescription glass to cheap sunglasses with the "glass so dark they don't even know my name."

Right now I'm going with the overly expensive plastic because the optical quality is better than the cheap plastic. Much, much better.

Avoid scratches by washing with water and drying with a microfiber cloth. Don't hesitate to use a glasses case. Preferably one that has a zipper of velcro closure.

That's all the advise I have after wearing glasses for 35+ years and being glasses free for the past few years. ICLs are great.

Yeah, that's tough, but anyone who tells you they have a scratchproof plastic lens is lying. I've got a pair of Serengeti Pilot 1 sunglasses... they are my favorites ever because of the ear looping arms. These will not prevent you from dropping them from your hand, but they will prevent your from losing them while turning your head on a moving boat or motorcycle, which has been a great concern for me previously. Also, they don't slide down your nose when looking down at charts, etc.
If you really want plastic lenses, I think they're all sorta the same. Ray Ban, Chanel, Prada, whatever: all made in the same factory in Italy. True fact.

Polycarbonate is some of the softest eyeglass lense material around which is why it's used in shatterproof applications. Maybe the surface can be hardened a bit these days but the base material is very soft.

I just buy the cheapo $10 Foster Grants and be done with it. If I lose them or they break so what.

I get the cheapo AF style at the BX. $25 per and no polarization to screw up reading glass cockpit MFDs. They are American Optical lenses, they may not be the best for seeing the haze dome on a soaring day, but they've worked just fine for the last 30 hrs.

Interesting that we found them on the Internet for almost $50 per.

Maui Jim has some nice products with a lifetime warranty. Stupid expensive, though...

Also, as my current fav pair taught me, check to make sure than when folded the ear thingy doesn't fold against the lens thereby rubbing a spot on the lens when in the case. Bet your bottom dollar that rub spot is square dead center in your field of vision.

I can't believe nobody's mentioned Scheyden yet. Mine have stood up to the abuse I dish out very well. Also, they're made for pilots - The earpieces are tiny so they slide under your headset without causing discomfort or messing up your ANR, and the amber lenses are a great help for seeing traffic in a murky sky. I've been very impressed so far.

I just buy the cheapo $10 Foster Grants and be done with it. If I lose them or they break so what.
Sac, that's a really bad idea.

Cheap sunglasses are worse for your eyes than no sunglasses at all. They do an excellent job at reducing overall light exposure, which makes your eyes adjust so as to let more light in. However, since the cheap sunglasses don't filter out UVA/B/C very effectively if at all, your eyes end up absorbing more of those damaging rays. Spending $200 on Maui Jims might seem expensive, but it really isn't compared to having eye issues later in life.

So, if I were you, I'd spend $100. It's a bargain compared to the thousands you might otherwise spend on eye care later in life. There's a proven link between UV exposure and cataract and such.

Last edited:
I can't believe nobody's mentioned Scheyden yet. Mine have stood up to the abuse I dish out very well. Also, they're made for pilots - The earpieces are tiny so they slide under your headset without causing discomfort or messing up your ANR, and the amber lenses are a great help for seeing traffic in a murky sky. I've been very impressed so far.

I love my Scheydens as well- but will not let them out of the airplane, lest they be lost.

For non-airplane use, I buy cheap-a$$ sunglasses.

I use Scheydens also and they are really great in the haze. I have had them and few years and use them for everything.

I've got a pair of Randolph aviators I really like. The bayonet style earpiece doesn't mess with ANR

I wouldn't have bought them on my own for fear of being too cliche, but my girlfriend bought me Ray Ban Aviators when I passed my checkride. I like them a lot, and they are comfortable. Like others have said about theirs, the earpiece is very thin, and doesnt interfere with the headset.

Also, Im not sure if LCD's in aircraft are designed any differently than "regular" LCD's, but polarized lenses can be a problem with certain LCD screens.

I got some ray bans with carbon fiber earpieces. Allows the cups to press nicely. They aren't cheap though...

I wear prescription ray bans.

I have a pair of RayBan aviators that I wear because the ear pieces are so thin that it doesn't impact the NR of the headsets.

I also have a pair of Maui Jim's that I just love the quality of the lenses, but the ear pieces are just a bit too thick and allow noise in the headset.

Then there is the pair of American Optic (or something like that) that have the bayonet style earpiece. They are so darn heavy on the nose that I don't bother to ever wear them.

Tim

I get $5 specials at WalMart by the handful -- full UV-A/B, and if I break or scratch or lose them, who cares? I consider it another benefit of my contact lenses.

Sac, that's a really bad idea.

Cheap sunglasses are worse for your eyes than no sunglasses at all. They do an excellent job at reducing overall light exposure, which makes your eyes adjust so as to let more light in. However, since the cheap sunglasses don't filter out UVA/B/C very effectively if at all, your eyes end up absorbing more of those damaging rays. Spending $200 on Maui Jims might seem expensive, but it really isn't compared to having eye issues later in life.

So, if I were you, I'd spend $100. It's a bargain compared to the thousands you might otherwise spend on eye care later in life. There's a proven link between UV exposure and cataract and such.

I get $5 specials at WalMart by the handful -- full UV-A/B, and if I break or scratch or lose them, who cares? I consider it another benefit of my contact lenses.

sba, those are the sunglasses of which I speak, still a bad idea?

Well, the label says they're UV-A/B blocking, so I guess I'll have to ask my optometrist. Of course, she sells the same ones on her "bargain" stand (albeit for more money than WalMart), and I don't think she'd sell junk.

Well, the label says they're UV-A/B blocking, so I guess I'll have to ask my optometrist. Of course, she sells the same ones on her "bargain" stand (albeit for more money than WalMart), and I don't think she'd sell junk.

Almost any tinted plastic will block UV-A and UV-B wavelengths. Expensive sunglass makers don't necessarily want people to realize that. So if your inexpensive shades say they do, they probably do.

Now the big marketing thing is UV-C protection, which is even sillier, since ordinary clear window glass can block that.

That said, I have a 20+ year old pair of Serengetis that are both photochromic and gradient tinted, which makes them nice for cutting down the sun but still being able to see and read the panel well.

I love my Scheydens as well- but will not let them out of the airplane, lest they be lost.

For non-airplane use, I buy cheap-a$$ sunglasses.
Yeah, well I don't own a plane, so the Scheydens came out of the plane with me. And then I lost them! And then I had to buy another pair, because I liked them. Maybe I'll eventually find the original pair!

After untimely losses of 3 sets of Ray Bans and a pair of Serengetis I got as a gift I switched to something strictly for eye protection.

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/xenon.html

I buy half a dozen at a time and keep a few fresh pairs in the original plastic bag at home, and a set in the flight bag, the vehicle and the hangar. When one gets too scratched I toss it.

I prefer the neutral gray with wraparound lenses. Keeps down the glare and protects against prop blast on the ramp. I have a couple of these lying around, also:

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/lexa.html

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/s3301.html

Last edited:
After untimely losses of 3 sets of Ray Bans and a pair of Serengetis I got as a gift I switched to something strictly for eye protection.

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/xenon.html

I buy half a dozen at a time and keep a few fresh pairs in the original plastic bag at home, and a set in the flight bag, the vehicle and the hangar. When one gets too scratched I toss it.

Wow... Those are dirt cheap! I also needed a cheap solution that didn't have the fat forward portion on the sides like the Scheydens - That's my main gripe with mine (I have the Jet-A's). Maybe I'll have to start buying those xenon's. $2.35/pair is hard to beat! Makes them quite disposable, and that'll let me put my Scheydens in the flight bag instead of making them the 100% solution - I'm quite afraid of losing 'em too.

OK - so, what about Rx sunglasses?

Because of my astigmatism, I've had problems with contacts. Just can't get the same clarity as with glasses, so I've stuck with the spectacles.

I've tried Rx sunglasses, but then I have to swap the sunglasses and regular back and forth and that's a pain. I've tried the photogray a couple decades ago, maybe the chemistry has gotten better over the years, but they've always been a problem in a car or other area that blocks the UV necessary for the lenses to darken. Now, I wear my regular glasses with clip-ons.

Anybody else had any better success in this area?

during my flying hiatus, I took up boating. I now own a couple of pairs of Costa Del Mar glasses. I hate like hell to go by new glasses every time I change my mind on what I like to do for fun.

I have not needed them for flying yet, I wonder if anyone has experience with these? I have 400 lenses and 580 lenses. Although most boaters would fight me on this, I am hard pressed to see a difference.

Wait... Prescription?

You don't have 20/20 vision?

Whatever happened to "that would be an imperfection?" ;) :D
Actually I passed my 2nd class medical without them. But they do tend to sharpen some details out on the horizon.

Does Ray Ban make the Rx lenses? I was told they don't, just the frames.
No idea. I bought them from an eyeglass place. Picked them out and they had them ready the next day.

That said, I have a 20+ year old pair of Serengetis that are both photochromic and gradient tinted, which makes them nice for cutting down the sun but still being able to see and read the panel well.
AFAIK, the WalMart specials I use aren't "photochromic," but they have gradient tinted ones, too -- and on the $5 rack.

BTW, I'm lucky if my sunglasses aren't lost or broken in 20 weeks, no less 20 years.

Last edited:

Because of my astigmatism, I've had problems with contacts. Just can't get the same clarity as with glasses, so I've stuck with the spectacles.
When I was wearing spectacles routinely, I got them with matched clip-on shades. Less hassle than switching glasses, but not as good as contacts. I think a lot of folks also use those "photogray" or whatever they call the ones that darken in direct sunlight, although I understand they don't darken as effectively inside the cockpit.

Also, astigmatism is no longer a show-stopper for contacts. I have toric multifocal (which ain't the same as "monovision") spherical contacts that handle both near/distant vision and astigmatic correction. Pretty neat, actually.

I've tried Rx sunglasses, but then I have to swap the sunglasses and regular back and forth and that's a pain. I've tried the photogray a couple decades ago, maybe the chemistry has gotten better over the years, but they've always been a problem in a car or other area that blocks the UV necessary for the lenses to darken. Now, I wear my regular glasses with clip-ons.

Anybody else had any better success in this area?

Sounds like a great reason to get a pair of these:

http://www.scheyden.com/DualRx.htm

Luckily I don't have a need for Rx but I've heard very good things about the Scheyden flip-ups from those who do.

Sounds like a great reason to get a pair of these:

http://www.scheyden.com/DualRx.htm

Luckily I don't have a need for Rx but I've heard very good things about the Scheyden flip-ups from those who do.

I've seen those advertised, but don't know anyone who has them.

edit : ehh, I just checked the price. I think I'll stick with my everyday glasses and clip-ons, and maybe look into the photograys the next time I need a new pair.

Last edited:
Also, astigmatism is no longer a show-stopper for contacts. I have toric multifocal (which ain't the same as "monovision") spherical contacts that handle both near/distant vision and astigmatic correction. Pretty neat, actually.

I agree with Ron. I think it depends on the degree of astigmatism but I am VERY happy with my Oasis (JohnsonJohnson) contacts for astigmatism. Everyone's eyes are different but after most of my life with glasses I switched a few years ago and see just as well or better with the contacts. Worth checking out with your optometrist.

When I was wearing spectacles routinely, I got them with matched clip-on shades. Less hassle than switching glasses, but not as good as contacts. I think a lot of folks also use those "photogray" or whatever they call the ones that darken in direct sunlight, although I understand they don't darken as effectively inside the cockpit.

I did try contacts, but that was nearly 25 yrs ago. The only options then were early generation torics (which I had some interesting experiences with - try lying down on a couch and turning you head to watch TV and you'll know what I'm talking about), or gass-perm hard lenses.

My eye doc is a pilot - I'll probably be due for a new set of glasses this year. Each time I've asked him about contacts, though, he said that in his experience that technical folks, like engineers and pilots, tend to prefer the sharper vision that glasses generally give over contacts. So I've been hesitant to spend the money on an experiment.

I did try contacts, but that was nearly 25 yrs ago. The only options then were early generation torics (which I had some interesting experiences with - try lying down on a couch and turning you head to watch TV and you'll know what I'm talking about), or gass-perm hard lenses.

My eye doc is a pilot - I'll probably be due for a new set of glasses this year. Each time I've asked him about contacts, though, he said that in his experience that technical folks, like engineers and pilots, tend to prefer the sharper vision that glasses generally give over contacts. So I've been hesitant to spend the money on an experiment.

I've been using contacts similar to what Ron described for the last two or so years. For me, they aren't quite as perfect a correction as what glasses can do, but they're close enough to work fine. A lot of eye care providers will let you do a trial pair for little or no cost - might be worth asking about.

I've been using contacts similar to what Ron described for the last two or so years. For me, they aren't quite as perfect a correction as what glasses can do, but they're close enough to work fine. A lot of eye care providers will let you do a trial pair for little or no cost - might be worth asking about.

I think the drawback with the correction on contacts vs glasses is that the glasses can be machined to the exact (with whatever tolerance) prescription you need, and contacts seem to be only in 'even' corrections and you need to round up or down on some of the variables in the script. So glasses can be fine-tuned a bit more than contacts.

I didn't know about a trial set, I might check into that.

I think the drawback with the correction on contacts vs glasses is that the glasses can be machined to the exact (with whatever tolerance) prescription you need, and contacts seem to be only in 'even' corrections and you need to round up or down on some of the variables in the script. So glasses can be fine-tuned a bit more than contacts.
That may have been true once, but not any more with the high-tech lenses I have, which are formed to meet the following prescription:

-9.25/-1.00x125/+2.50
-3.50/-2.25x050/+2.00

Essentially, these lenses are individually custom-designed. I understand they use mold shaped by computer-controlled machinery to form them, and it takes a lot of math to write the code for each prescription.

Back