Student Pilot Certificates

The doc doesn't care about your criminal background. Unless it involves drigs or alcohol, if he asks about it it might just be normal curiosity. It is one of the few recurring official contacts in aviation so it was probably originally seen simply as an efficient information collection point.

Actually, he most definitely does care about non-alcohol issues. The FAA views repeated criminal behavior as a manifest psychological disorder.

If I'm reading this right, the current system applies until April 1st. So if I get a FAA medical approved in March, I'm ok, and don't have to worry about this extra step? And I will be able to start training in April and solo under the old system?

If I'm reading this right, the current system applies until April 1st. So if I get a FAA medical approved in March, I'm ok, and don't have to worry about this extra step? And I will be able to start training in April and solo under the old system?

That's my take on it. Before 1 April, nothing changes. Starting 1 April you have to be cleared by TSA first, then you get the FAA plastic student certificate that does not expire.

Anyone CFIs know how a we're supposed to apply for/issue a Student Pilot Cert? I haven't read anything nor received any guidance, even NAFI hasn't put out anything.

Anyone CFIs know how a we're supposed to apply for/issue a Student Pilot Cert? I haven't read anything nor received any guidance, even NAFI hasn't put out anything.
We don't "issue" them. We sign off on the application.

The way I read it, it will like any other application for a certificate or rating. As part of the initial paperwork with a new student we will sit down and help her set up an IACRA account. The student fills out an 8710-1; the CFI signs off on it to start the ball rolling.

The anticipated delay mostly means we need to do this much sooner in the process that before.

We don't "issue" them. We sign off on the application.

The way I read it, it will like any other application for a certificate or rating. As part of the initial paperwork with a new student we will sit down and help her set up an IACRA account. The student fills out an 8710-1; the CFI signs off on it to start the ball rolling.

The anticipated delay mostly means we need to do this much sooner in the process that before.

Thanks! :)

Back