Strange mag issue

Magman

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Magman
C-150 with Slick 4301 mags that have about a 100 hrs since o/h.

In flight only ; when operating on RIGHT or BOTH mags the runway lights are turned ON.They may be at different settings but always ON. The aircraft radio will not function to Transmit also. Flying LEFT only all is fine. Remove radio and issue continues.

All plugs leads test fine with a Lead Tester. We may swap mag positions to help diagnose . I don’t think a harness swap would work. A flight with p- leads disconnected may be in the works.

Other thoughts?

Last edited:
C-150 with Slick 4301 mags that have about a 100 hrs since o/h.

In flight only ; when operating on RIGHT or BOTH mags the runway lights are turned ON.They may be at different settings but always ON. The aircraft radio will not function to Transmit also. Flying LEFT only all is fine. Remove radio and issue continues.

All plugs leads test fine with a Lead Tester. We may swap mag positions to help diagnose . I don’t think a harness swap would work. A flight with p- leads disconnected may be in the works.

Other thoughts?
How does a magneto turn on runway lights?

A flight with p- leads disconnected may be in the works.

Other thoughts?
My thought is that's a bad thought. I think I'd be figuring out what's going on before I flew this thing.

I find it ironic that "magman" is the one asking. (no disrespect intended, just funny).

Not a deep mag guy or A&P, but I believe there is no electrical connection between the mags and the rest of the electrical system except the p-leads. One thing that might make sense is a p-lead shorting to something else in the 12v system. Or possibly, a plug wire doing same.

Should be pretty straightforward to diagnose.

Sounds like an expensive hangar remote control, you can probably label it as such and sell it too.

Back