Stepped in KRAP

morleyz

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff
I'm not sure if this is a legit lessons learned or not, but I definitely learned a lesson.

Approaching KRAP from the east, about 4 miles south of field heading roughly due west. Winds are favoring 32, although they're light and I could have probably taken 23 just fine. It's pretty busy, there are 2-3 regionals coming in as well as 2-3 GA aircraft. I make my radio call at 12 out because it was quiet for a minute and I'm thinking adding another GA aircraft might need a little extra time. I planned and assumed from the ASOS that I'd either get a direct to left base for 23 or a direct to right base for 32 based on my position on where everyone else is (I'm now basically directly south east of the field). Tower throws a curve at me and says report midfield right downwind for 32. In retrospect, this was obviously to make me take longer so I could mix in better, but I was surprised. I immediately turned on a 320 heading to parallel the runway and 180 into a midfield right downwind.

This was my first visit to KRAP and I read all the warnings. Don't get mixed up with Ellsworth. Don't land at Ellsworth. Don't bust their airspace. Easy, KRAP has 2 runways. Ellsworth has 1 runway and it's 14 million miles long. Nobody could confuse those.

Back to my flying 320 towards my midfield right downwind, I have a couple of miles left to go before executing my 180 when I hear "MORON (that's my call sign in this post), looks like you're lined up for Ellsworth. Left turn 270 for your right downwind"

I turn 270 and I'm mortified to see KRAP right in front of me and I'd gone nearly to the departure end of 32. Not sure what it is about Ellsworth, but it just shines right there in the distance.

So I guess that's two lessons learned. 1) Don't be surprised when the controller gives you something you weren't expecting, but also 2) Make sure you're approaching the airport you think you're landing at. :oops:

I'm surprised by how busy the commercial traffic is at KRAP. I'm now eternally embarrassed that they all had to listen to me fumble the ball.

Good advice! We landed at KRAP a couple years ago on the way to Yellowstone. Great vis and we saw Ellsworth l-o-n-g b4 KRAP showed up.

Question is, did you get the 'flew thru KRAP' t-shirts? . We did! ;-)

Jim

Last edited:
I did RAP a few years ago on our way out to the Navion convention in Cody. Neat place.

Back