Son's job search -- help requested

Taxi Man

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Taxi Man
Hi. My son graduated in May 2015 from Loyola Marymount University in LA with a business degree in "entrepreneurship" (basically, a series of courses covering ALL aspects of business operations). He would prefer to stay in the LA area. After graduation, he took a known short-term position as an operations manager with a winery in Paso Robles, CA just to learn a business by getting his fingers (real) dirty. Now that harvest season is over, he is looking for a full-time position, not necessarily in aviation, but in a field where his entrepreneurial skills and people skills could come together. Something unique / not a "suit" crunching numbers in a cubicle all day.

I'm writing this to ask you for networking leads of almost any type. He is very versatile and, I think (being the proud father that I am), can function in virtually any industry.

Names and phone numbers would be appreciated. I don't know the confidentiality rules of this site, but a PM to me I guess would be the way to go. Thanks for any help you can offer. Alan

OMFG....

Your first post here.

Welcome, congrats on the son's graduation. Other than that, I've got nothing...

:mad2: :rolleyes:

...not necessarily in aviation, but in a field where his entrepreneurial skills and people skills could come together.

Uber driver.

Seriously, if he wants to do entrepreneurship, he needs to go to Silicon Valley.

Yup, silicon valley is great for entrepreneurs.

If you can code.

Or, if you have $300 mil to invest in the latest gizmo.

I actually have the same request but for myself.
I need something where I am not in a cube managing budgets all day.
It's getting really old.

Preferably on my feet but still in doors.

I would like to stay local to the area. I am great with people.
120k-190k pay range so lots of wiggle room there.

Generous PTO, 401(k), Healthcare packages would be nice.

So just let me know. Probably a lot of you will have things for me so I am going to go ahead and give notice at my current gig.

I look forward to working with you.

It's getting really old.

So just let me know. Probably a lot of you will have things for me so I am going to go ahead and give notice at my current gig.

Make that two jobs. And I'll make coffee in the morning

Prefer any job making airplanes, but I'm flexible. ;)

It's getting really old.

Sell meth......

Tax free, endless customer base that find you, all the time off you want, company car of your choice....

And if you get caught, you also get a country club membership, gym membership, free med/dent/vis and full cafeteria plan.
Let me know how that works for you, em Kay?

Does he have any ideas on start-ups? If so, in most cities there are a variety of mentorship and similar programs (such as iCorps) that can help him get started.

If he doesn't have ideas himself, he needs to connect with individuals that have ideas but don't know how to commercialize them. That comes from personal networking, not a job board. He should also look at major companies that have internal IP and need folks to commercialize it - innovation offices and the like. Also connecting with researchers at the local universities or govt funded research organizations can help.

Good luck!

My kid works for Dropbox...they seem to be hiring in SFO...if you have been to one of their offices all there desks are standing...amazing compensation, PTO (Actually Unlimited), three chef prepared meals a day, transportation reimbursement, Cell Phone, working bar (After five) and she did not graduate with a technical STEM degree.

An 'entrepreneur' who needs daddy to look for a job for him? :rolleyes:
What about getting another degree? As others already mentioned, starting a business as an Uber driver might be another viable option. :D

How appropriate-a helicopter parent posting on an aviation forum. :rolleyes:

Mark

Geez.....a guy tries to help his kid out and the grief given is endless. Nothing to offer, ignore the thread. :mad2:

Geez.....a guy tries to help his kid out and the grief given is endless. Nothing to offer, ignore the thread. :mad2:

Since you didn't ignore the thread, may we assume that you have something to offer?

Just sayin'...

Mark

Why would someone with a degree in "entrepreneurship" need to find a job working for someone else?

Let's hope so.. it will save me 100 bucks...;)..

I must have been "off the Mark"...:D

$100!? What kind of cases are we talking about? You got my interest!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Since you didn't ignore the thread, may we assume that you have something to offer?

Just sayin'...

Mark

Notice my post wasn't directed at the OP...it was a commentary on the snipey comments that had nothing to offer.

Why would someone with a degree in "entrepreneurship" need to find a job working for someone else?

Because entrepreneurship is rarely done alone, and because many companies have internal innovation groups.

My kid works for Dropbox...they seem to be hiring in SFO...if you have been to one of their offices all there desks are standing...amazing compensation, PTO (Actually Unlimited), three chef prepared meals a day, transportation reimbursement, Cell Phone, working bar (After five) and she did not graduate with a technical STEM degree.

Well that settles that. Was thinking about paying to up the size of my Dropbox, but they have too much money apparently.

I'm a rather large mooch there anyway. Large amount of space via referrals for years, never paid them a dime. Probably should move my stuff to one of the other higher value cloud systems I have paid for already. Makes me suspicious when I hear they're rolling in it and I'm not paying for it. Nothing is free.

BTW I worked for a place like that once. We went from 500+ employees to 100 in one day. Tell her to save some bucks for a
Rainy Day.

Isn't an entrepreneur by definition "Self employed".

Actually I have some experience with an entrepreneur in my family, which is really defined by chronically "Unemployed".:rofl:

Last edited:
To the OP good luck to your son. I don't have specific contacts or advice. I do have general comments.
I have been an employee of a giant corporation with a responsible position and an expense account, etc. and I have run my own businesses. I made far more money running my own businesses - 20, 30, 40 times more - than working for wages.
Nothing wrong with working for wages to get started. We all had to start from zero in the beginning.
At this point if he actually intends to be an entrepreneur my advice is to forget looking for that dream job with some high flying, wham bam thank you ma'am, internet outfit.
An entrepreneur degree does not equip him to be a coding grunt, or a PR guy, or a snake oil salesman which is what these internet start up vaporware factories want.
So he got his fingernails dirty in a winery - great... fantastic... Now he needs to get them dirty again, maybe in an auto body repair shop, or waiting tables in an upscale restaurant (with a wine background he has a leg up on the job). Or selling treadmills and guns in a national chain sports store. Follow that up with driving a delivery truck. Next on the list would be a stint in a stock brokers office. After that maybe being a drug rep for a a pharmaceutical house.
That last one is the final test that separates those with the killer instinct from those merely desperate for a job.
OK, by now 20 years have elapsed. He knows something about a whole lot of things and he will be ready. If he is truly self employed material he will have had his head on a swivel the entire time watching how the owner runs his business. How much does it cost to start up. Where is the owner dead on the mark and where is he dropping the ball. If he owned the business what would he do differently.
Somewhere along the way he is going to see opportunity waving, whistling, and banging on a trash can trying to get his attention - it will probably be a run down storefront that was a bodega that went under.. With just the college degree he won't even notice it. With the degree and real life dirt under his nails it should be like the siren song of the mermaids luring the sailors onto the rocks.
Like I said, good luck for your son - and then give him a kick in the pants and tell him to go get his fingernails dirty.

Well that settles that. Was thinking about paying to up the size of my Dropbox, but they have too much money apparently.

I'm a rather large mooch there anyway. Large amount of space via referrals for years, never paid them a dime. Probably should move my stuff to one of the other higher value cloud systems I have paid for already. Makes me suspicious when I hear they're rolling in it and I'm not paying for it. Nothing is free.

BTW I worked for a place like that once. We went from 500+ employees to 100 in one day. Tell her to save some bucks for a
Rainy Day.

The security conscious will want to look at SpiderOak.

Meanwhile, I am looking for an alternative now that Lastpass has been acquired by Logmein.

To the OP good luck to your son. I don't have specific contacts or advice. I do have general comments.
I have been an employee of a giant corporation with a responsible position and an expense account, etc. and I have run my own businesses. I made far more money running my own businesses - 20, 30, 40 times more - than working for wages.
Nothing wrong with working for wages to get started. We all had to start from zero in the beginning.
At this point if he actually intends to be an entrepreneur my advice is to forget looking for that dream job with some high flying, wham bam thank you ma'am, internet outfit.
An entrepreneur degree does not equip him to be a coding grunt, or a PR guy, or a snake oil salesman which is what these internet start up vaporware factories want.
So he got his fingernails dirty in a winery - great... fantastic... Now he needs to get them dirty again, maybe in an auto body repair shop, or waiting tables in an upscale restaurant (with a wine background he has a leg up on the job). Or selling treadmills and guns in a national chain sports store. Follow that up with driving a delivery truck. Next on the list would be a stint in a stock brokers office. After that maybe being a drug rep for a a pharmaceutical house.
That last one is the final test that separates those with the killer instinct from those merely desperate for a job.
OK, by now 20 years have elapsed. He knows something about a whole lot of things and he will be ready. If he is truly self employed material he will have had his head on a swivel the entire time watching how the owner runs his business. How much does it cost to start up. Where is the owner dead on the mark and where is he dropping the ball. If he owned the business what would he do differently.
Somewhere along the way he is going to see opportunity waving, whistling, and banging on a trash can trying to get his attention - it will probably be a run down storefront that was a bodega that went under.. With just the college degree he won't even notice it. With the degree and real life dirt under his nails it should be like the siren song of the mermaids luring the sailors onto the rocks.
Like I said, good luck for your son - and then give him a kick in the pants and tell him to go get his fingernails dirty.

Excellent advice! I'll pass this on to the entrepreneur I am dealing with.:D
I would add that the TV reality show Shark Tank really does showcase the some skills needed to acquire capital.

To most of you with sh**t comments or advice -- go f yourselves. "Daddy" is just trying to be part of a son's job search network. Plus, most of you arses don't even know what an entrepreneurship degree entails or why he needs a paid job to start with -- his career is in the start up phase. Except for Jonsey and a few others, you guys are a disgrace as pilots and as people. Up yours.

To most of you with sh**t comments or advice -- go f yourselves. "Daddy" is just trying to be part of a son's job search network. Plus, most of you arses don't even know what an entrepreneurship degree entails or why he needs a paid job to start with -- his career is in the start up phase. Except for Jonsey and a few others, you guys are a disgrace as pilots and as people. Up yours.

Good luck!and WOW!

Great second post!! Good luck with helping your son find a job!! :rolleyes:
I actually had a couple suggestions, but I think it's best to let this thread die and have you go back to wherever you came from. :mad2:
P.S. just a little advice on this new fangled thing called the internet: Don't show up on a forum with a first post and ask for help unrelated to the forum. And when you do, don't be surprised when people aren't all warm and fuzzy.
Also, learn not to be a thin-skinned, helicopter parent jerk. :nono:

Great second post!! Good luck with helping your son find a job!! :rolleyes:
I actually had a couple suggestions, but I think it's best to let this thread die and have you go back to wherever you came from. :mad2:
P.S. just a little advice on this new fangled thing called the internet: Don't show up on a forum with a first post and ask for help unrelated to the forum. And when you do, don't be surprised when people aren't all warm and fuzzy.
Also, learn not to be a thin-skinned, helicopter parent jerk. :nono:

Times 1....

And.....

My guess is the fruit doesn't fall far from the tree..... The "kid" is a spoiled brat and will be living in daddy's basement for the rest of his life.. IMHO...

Nice job, if your son has your spunk he will do well. He'll find his way and your help will make the difference for him. I also agree that most should work for someone else first, you gain much useful experience that will save aggravation when going on your own. Unless he has a billion dollar idea I definitely think it is the way to go.

Times 1....

And.....

My guess is the fruit doesn't fall far from the tree..... The "kid" is a spoiled brat and will be living in daddy's basement for the rest of his life.. IMHO...

Out of line, Ben.

The security conscious will want to look at SpiderOak.

Meanwhile, I am looking for an alternative now that Lastpass has been acquired by Logmein.

Well now that it appears that the thread has exploded... LOL... Might as well answer this one.

I'm happy with 1Password. Cross platform support is good and it's a small Canadian company, I believe.

They had some early teething pains in using the wrong crypto tech, but that was fixed long ago.

I'm not sure why anyone would consider either side acceptable.
This.

That was an unusual request as a first post but this forum can be brutal to newcomers.

This.

That was an unusual request as a first post but this forum can be brutal to newcomers.

Ahhh this forum is nothing.

Try an engineering/electronics forum. No offense to Jim because he knows his ****, but imagine an entire forum full of Jims. I'm not kidding.

Show up asking questions like seen in the Stratux thread and you'd have your butt handed to you. Hard.

This thread did get a bit too personal for a thread on a job search, but really this isn't a job board and there's no nice recruiters here to soothe the job hunting fears while buttering you up to rip you off for 10% or more of your first year salary you could have negotiated yourself.

I recommend LinkedIn if you want to be overrun with hungry recruiters with no appreciable talents other than looking nice and pushing entry level jobs. Also good for a way to network to find a few good recruiters who'll look nice while they buy you a nice lunch every quarter or so if you have real skills they want.

It's a rough go for young entrepreneurs. My sister had a Masters in Architecture with a specialty in restoration of historical buildings and worked essentially for free for years. Made a couple of developers a lot of money with a neighborhood renovation in Brooklyn.

She then went into government work, being the bureaucrat you had to get your designs past if you wanted to touch a historical building in Houston. After a couple of years and two promotions, her boss told her flatly that the lifers above her weren't nearly as good at it as she was, but they are in "jobs for life" with the impossibility of firing anyone from a bureaucracy, and that she could hang out and do what she was doing for ten more years until one of them literally died, and have their job, or that it might be smarter to leave now and move back into a private firm where she would be the interface between the developer and the very desk she was sitting in, and have a huge leg up on the process from the inside.

She hunted only a couple of months and had that private firm job and is pretty much set for a job forever and great bennies and perks.

I guess the moral of that story is just to go do something? Anything. Even if he is living in Taxi Man's basement. Gotta build some useful skill to someone into a career, and if it takes volunteering time at first to be able to put "took small firm from 5 person start up to $100M in revenue in three years, and profitability in five, including a 10% ROI for the original investors and two rounds of funding", on the resume, so be it.

Not going to get that opportunity at an established business with only a degree. They're past the point of hiring newbies. You need a place that's too small to be able to afford his skillset and he has to manage that into a long term win for himself. Whether he convinces him to finally pay him (rare: They're used to him being cheap/free), or he walks with the resume padded properly to go after the next opportunity.

Every successful entrepreneur I've met has two qualities: massively self-motivated and almost a devil-may-care attitude toward failure and success. They've been broke before and they'll be broke again, and they don't care... their world view is that everything is an opportunity, until it isn't.

They'll work an idea into the ground because they believe in it, and see if it pans out when others would have walked away long ago. When it pays off for them, it pays big.

When they fail, they shrug it off and put all their time into the next best idea on their list of five things they're trying at the same time but weren't giving the attention they needed so they could chase the first one.

If that's not your son's personality type, he's going to have to settle for managing and driving projects for an entrepreneur for very little money until he has a resume of qualifications that has the entrepreneurs referring people to him. They always share another trait: They don't have time to do everything, but they'll be up before the crack-ass of dawn and working long into the night and anyone who can give them back their TIME is worth their weight in gold to them, as long as the person they hire does things "their way" or shows them carefully a better way that'll make them more profitable.

Back