Someone busting Milwaukee TFR...

Turns out the RV pilot who busted the TFR is a friend of mine. He was using the published arrival procedures in the Oshkosh NOTAM. Unfortunately, the TFR was expanded to be significantly larger than shown in the arrival NOTAM.
The problem is that the the TFR for the RNC was not published in the Oshkosh notam. The circles around Milwaukee in the OSH notam is the MKE Class C.

The problem is that the the TFR for the RNC was not published in the Oshkosh notam. The circles around Milwaukee in the OSH notam is the MKE Class C.
I agree that contributed to the problem. But shouldn't we be checking for TFRs and other stuff on our routes before we depart? A pop-up TFR is another thing, and I understand that those aren't generally prosecuted if the pilot demonstrates due diligence. I hope I don't find out for real! What's the lag time between a TFR popping up and showing up on ADSB?

Air Force 2 arrived on Cape over the weekend. A friend of mine departed out of 5B6 for a day trip to Block Island. 5B6 is immediately south of the Joint Base here where AF2 landed. The TFR popped up less than 2 hours prior to her arrival and after my friend had departed. 5B6 is under the umbrella of that TFR and it's completely feasible he would have been completely unaware of the TFR having been established. Had he not wanted to use flight following on the return trip, he would have been in violation.

Interestingly, though something I've noticed since the attempt on DJT's life is that only the sitting President gets the 20nm circle. Everyone else, including #2 get only a 4nm up to 3000. So it was a shock to me to see that the RNC got a 20nm TFR. I can only assume it was due to the sheer number of politicians and VIPs on site.

Obviously not. But people have indeed used an aircraft to commit mayhem. Google it.
So you believe a member of the senate, a member of the Congress, a presidential candidate or an ex president warrant a TFR? We sure are going to have a lot of TFRs.

Last edited:
We already have TFRs around every single sporting event. Perhaps the more relevant question is should there be a 20nm TFR around POTUS at all times?

it was a shock to me to see that the RNC got a 20nm TFR. I can only assume it was due to the sheer number of politicians and VIPs on site.
Or the sheer number of people who seem to approve of political violence these days...

The kid borrowed his father's rifle. It's a good thing (for us, at least) that his father wasn't an airplane owner.

Or the sheer number of people who seem to approve of political violence these days...

The kid borrowed his father's rifle. It's a good thing (for us, at least) that his father wasn't an airplane owner.
Why bother with a clumsy and easily detectable GA plane when a tiny drone can do the job just as well.

Would a Venn diagram have helped? :happydance:

Back