Sleep study done and after using CPAP I feel amazing

J

James Kerr

Better cognition , memory, thinking ahead no depression - I’m on a very low dose of abilify now and not on invega. Sertraline is also what I’m taking. Maybe fifteen years from the day on sertraline and I could get a special issuance. In two weeks my doctor will get the results of the test.

The day I did my sleep study, they told me, "We'll do the sleep monitoring tonight, and you'll come back for us to titrate your CPAP settings." They woke me up about 2 hrs in and said, "Yeah, okay, you've got serious apnea and we don't need to watch you suffer anymore. Let's start your titration." I woke up that morning feeling the best I had felt in years and wanted to take a CPAP home with me that day. The next two weeks waiting for the doc and the paperwork and the insurance and all was miserable.

I know some people don't like sleeping with a CPAP, but I'm the opposite--you'd have to fight me to take it away from me.

The day I did my sleep study, they told me, "We'll do the sleep monitoring tonight, and you'll come back for us to titrate your CPAP settings." They woke me up about 2 hrs in and said, "Yeah, okay, you've got serious apnea and we don't need to watch you suffer anymore. Let's start your titration." I woke up that morning feeling the best I had felt in years and wanted to take a CPAP home with me that day. The next two weeks waiting for the doc and the paperwork and the insurance and all was miserable.

I know some people don't like sleeping with a CPAP, but I'm the opposite--you'd have to fight me to take it away from me.
Same here!

In mine they didn’t bother to wake me up. When I asked the next morning they said essentially the same thing: severe OSA and no need to continue, so they went right into titration. I could have sworn I only got a couple hours of sleep that night but the charts showed otherwise and I felt better that day than I had in years.

It worked, and still works, for me.

As someone who refused to get one after years of complaints from my wife, it has changed my life. Its a super pain in the butt to travel with (the full size one), but I feel it when I can't use it. I'm at about a 99.4% compliance rate in its use, on the odd day when I don't use it or don't meet the 6 hr usage, I surely feel it the next day.

I have tried a travel version (Resmed Airmini) but the darn thing is LOUD while breathing AND it doesn't synch like the Resmed Airsense 10. Its a shame because its so much smaller for packing purposes.

Yeah i went from feeling terrible after 8.5 hours of sleep to feeling amazingly good after 6.5 hours with the cpap. I love it.

Pro tip; put an airtag in your case when you travel. Will make replacing finding it much easier... or so I've been told :rolleyes:

Just think: 20 years ago we had no idea what the H.... was going on....
I think about the difference a CPAP could have made for my dad all the time. He died at 75, and (in hindsight) I'm certain apnea took a few years off, and made many of the years he had kinda miserable.

Last edited:
It’s sad when people go undiagnosed and untreated. Given the other effects it should be more accessible to get sleep studies I feel but hey I don’t make the rules. I’m just glad you all contributed!

Cpap literally saved me. Zoned out driving to work one day, thinking I was wide awake. Got lucky and didn’t hit any thing

Now I get blissful sleep every night.

The only prep I’ve done for the coming zombie apocalypse is cpap plus solar charger plus battery.

can you switch aviation medical examiners without permission? my ame told me i wouldnt be succesful likely, im either wanting to reapply or ask for reconsideration.

can you switch aviation medical examiners without permission? my ame told me i wouldnt be succesful likely, im either wanting to reapply or ask for reconsideration.
I guess it depends. Why? Are you thinking of reapplying for a medical with AME #2 because you got deferred by AME #1? Are you thinking AME #1 is asking for too much info and hoping AME #2 doesn’t ask so many questions? Or are you looking ahead to your next medical and AME #2 is more convenient? Other?

no but he i think feels hes being honest and realistic, but if i give up then im in the same place forever which is without a medical. i got deferred and final denied, although one letter said i could ask for reconsideration any time i have additional medical evidence to offer. I dont want to give up yet

no but he i think feels hes being honest and realistic, but if i give up then im in the same place forever which is without a medical. i got deferred and final denied, although one letter said i could ask for reconsideration any time i have additional medical evidence to offer. I dont want to give up yet
Ahh. Yeah, that’s tough. You might get some suggestions from a real AME on this board.

Thanks I hope your having more luck than I did but also thanks for your kind words.
The denial likely wasn’t from OSA. Most everyone on this thread that has it has worked it out with FAA. So there’s something else going on that’s well above my pay grade. I wish you well.

Better cognition , memory, thinking ahead no depression - I’m on a very low dose of abilify now and not on invega. Sertraline is also what I’m taking. Maybe fifteen years from the day on sertraline and I could get a special issuance. In two weeks my doctor will get the results of the test.
I wonder if the FAA has approved anything besides CPAP for treatment of OSA?
It’s sad when people go undiagnosed and untreated. Given the other effects it should be more accessible to get sleep studies I feel but hey I don’t make the rules. I’m just glad you all contributed!
Dear FAA: This is why pilots don't go to the doctor.

Back