Scooters safe for GA?

motorboat

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
motorboat
Anybody have insight on battery operated electric scooters to carry around in GA aircraft? Seems like light excellent ground transportation assuming they don’t catch on fire inflight. I am imagining one with a removable battery that can be placed in a fireproof bag? Any intel appreciated…

I have one I bought for a around the US tour in my light sport plane. It was the lightest one I could find and it sucks.

If four or five pounds extra is not a problem consider one with some level of shock absorbers.

Rubber tires are good for vibration isolation but they have a bad habit of going flat at the worst times. I changed to solid rubber, but my ride is even rougher. But I don't have to worry about flats.

Most airports are within 3 to 5 miles of the attractions you'll likely visit so having a massive range may not be as important as a comfortable ride.

That's all I can think of.

Unless I'm flying somewhere where the ground transportation is part of the attraction, my limit is 30 minutes unless there's no other option.That is, if I have to spend more than 30 minutes walking then I will pack a bike/scooter. If I have to spend more than 30 minutes biking/scooting, I'll hail a ride. If the wait for pickup plus the ride itself is more than 30 minutes, I'll rent a car.

That said, here's a few of the previous threads. @schmookeeg had some of the more provocative comments/perspectives with respect to e-scooters, if you want to skip to the interesting bits (I wonder how he's doing. Haven't seen him here in a while).

Last edited:
I have an EUC, or electric unicycle. Once you get used to it it is easy to ride. It folds down to about 17x19x8 and weighs 30 lbs. You can carry it like a small suitcase or extend the trolley handle and walk it like a dog. You can turn the battery off for transport, but you can't remove it. I carry it in my car, truck and airplane. It is handy to have sometimes. Mine has a 15 mile range at 15 mph. I charge it about once a month and have over 300 miles on it. Look up "how to ride an EUC in 12 easy steps".

Attachments

• IMG_20221108_132123322.jpg
    IMG_20221108_132123322.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
Inmotion is having a 35% off sale on their 16" V8S for $700. 40 mile range, 22 mph top speed 35 lbs. 16 inch wheels are considered the best size to learn on.

This is a newer version of the one I have. Only weighs 27lbs! I've had it for about 4 years with no issues. Mine tops out about 25mph and I consistently go 25 -30 miles on a full charge. It folds up nicely and fits easily in the baggage compartment of a 182.

Back