Running tanks dry in cruise

That results in some serious wing heaviness. Which is why I would do what I did as mentioned previously in the thread in the Cherokee.

So...not what the POH says?

Piper tanks are set very close to the wing root and the standby tank in that scenario is only 140 lbs max. I never noticed heaviness, but I also never flew that far in that airplane.

It's been over 10 years since I owned my Cherokee so I don't recall what the POH said exactly. I just know that I burned half hour, hour, dry tank, leaving ~90 minutes in the other tank.

I also didn't follow the short field technique in the POH as I developed my own technique which got me off the ground sooner and above the 50 ft obstacle quicker.

I burn 30 min, switch and burn the entire other tank and I can’t feel “wing heavy” in my mooney, whatever a heavy wing would feel like.

Well, it certainly isn't like your Brother, cause "He Ain't Heavy, he's my brother"

That is a big subject of discussion over at my Bellanca Viking Forum. Most guys do it regularly. I do not. They run Continental. I did once in my Lycoming IO-540 powered one and it would not start back up. Headed to nearest airport and thank God it fired, but was not running on all 6! Landed, shut down and immediately started back up and ran perfect. I’ll never do that again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a big subject of discussion over at my Bellanca Viking Forum. Most guys do it regularly. I do not. They run Continental. I did once in my Lycoming IO-540 powered one and it would not start back up. Headed to nearest airport and thank God it fired, but was not running on all 6! Landed, shut down and immediately started back up and ran perfect. I’ll never do that again!

That makes no sense. Shutting off the fuel and turning it back on isn’t going to starve some cylinders and not others.

That makes no sense. Shutting off the fuel and turning it back on isn’t going to starve some cylinders and not others.

I think one got vapor locked. Big Bore Lycomings can be a ***** to start hot. I’m not ever doing it again! Wife was with me! Not good!

Back