Regs RE:RC Models & Airports

Graueradler

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Graueradler
Can someone save me some time and point me to the applicable reg? We (the Pilots Assoc. of Arkansas) are planning a 5 day Aero-Camp for 9 to 14 year olds at KRUE. Someone had the idea of including an RC model demo and I rained on the parade with the opinion that to do so on the airport would require closing the airport for that time period. Now I have the action item of finding out exactly what the rules are. An alternative is to use a large parking lot near, but not on, the airport (actually inside the pattern).

Graueradler said:
Can someone save me some time and point me to the applicable reg? We (the Pilots Assoc. of Arkansas) are planning a 5 day Aero-Camp for 9 to 14 year olds at KRUE. Someone had the idea of including an RC model demo and I rained on the parade with the opinion that to do so on the airport would require closing the airport for that time period. Now I have the action item of finding out exactly what the rules are. An alternative is to use a large parking lot near, but not on, the airport (actually inside the pattern).

I dont know why flying RC would be any differant than dropping lawndarts, AKA skydivers, shouldnt require anything more than a notam, check with the local FSDO

Contact the AMA.
http://www.ama.org
www.modelaircraft.org
The airspace is "owned" by the tower. If they are cool with it it should be a go...
I have flown many R/C heli demos at airshows/flyin's, etc. I always found the limiting factor to be the insurance the airport required.
As long as there is a link from the tower/unicom to the show (as there is/should be for every airshow) to alert airborne aircraft as to what is happening over/on the runway you should be good to go.

Hope this helps

Chris

Last edited:
there are ways to do it safely.
lots of airports are colocated with r/c clubs.
go for the ama 1mil insurance though.

i think there is an old advisory circular out there discussing this. it is from the late 70s or so. when i was flying RC i did it renegade style. no training, no insurance, flew at the airport, no handheld, just stayed on the non traffic side of the runway and kept a good eye out. i generally flew in a pretty small area. helped that the airport manager also flew RC out there too.

You Might want to check with Kutztown Airport in Pa (N31) 610-683-5666, and ask them how they do it they have a R/C flying club there and hold regular flights. i should mention N31 is Non-Towered.
Dave G.

There use to be a big RC fly-in held at UUV every year. The airport remained open to regular airplane traffic. A notam was posted and procedures listed on how to take off and land. A few pilots from the St. Louis area that keep their airplanes here complained that they had to wait to land and bitched at the city to end it. Well they got their way and are now going after the drop zone.:mad: These are the same ones who ***** about the gliders and got them out as well. So it can work as long as everyone plays well with each other. But so many just play well with themselfs.

Someone often flies RC aircraft at Solberg (N51, Readington, NJ). They stay across from the parking area. Never saw a problem.

Back