Rant: Exercising PIC, no not that PIC

LOL. That would be quite an act of intimacy in a Cherokee... I'd feel almost obligated to put a $20 bill in his belt loop for the dance.

We both got out :)
Wait you actually got out so he could check the tire? And you got back in? I'm pretty non- confrontational, but I'm pretty sure I would've pulled the plug right there.

Wait you actually got out so he could check the tire? And you got back in? I'm pretty non- confrontational, but I'm pretty sure I would've pulled the plug right there.
I don't know if I would've made it past the point where the guy was playing whack-a-mole with the fuel pump breaker.

Yeah, we both got out. It was about 2 minutes later that I said he can drop me off.
To be clear: I'd made up my mind after the run-up I just was finding the right spot in the conversation to voice it. I don't even know what can cause an engine to run that rough. At least nothing I've ever experienced in any airplane I've flown.

I'll admit, I probably would have bailed earlier except for that fact he was a nice guy and I felt bad. I know that's not a great reason. But he had taken off work just to go fly. And here I was essentially saying "thanks, but your plane is a busted piece of **** that I don't feel safe in".
In the end common sense prevailed and I left fairly gracefully, but it took longer than it should have lol.

Yeah, we both got out. It was about 2 minutes later that I said he can drop me off.
To be clear: I'd made up my mind after the run-up I just was finding the right spot in the conversation to voice it. I don't even know what can cause an engine to run that rough. At least nothing I've ever experienced in any airplane I've flown.

I'll admit, I probably would have bailed earlier except for that fact he was a nice guy and I felt bad. I know that's not a great reason. But he had taken off work just to go fly. And here I was essentially saying "thanks, but your plane is a busted piece of **** that I don't feel safe in".
In the end common sense prevailed and I left fairly gracefully, but it took longer than it should have lol.
"Nice guy" sounds like a bad reason but it's kind of human nature to put the gloss on. Like others, if the repeating fuel pump breaker tripping didn't do it, that combined with the avgas smell, would have been the last straw. And if I was instructing them, all "nice guy" would get them is that I might not charge them for my time and the airworthiness ground lesson.

Yes, they are out there, but “typical” is an over exaggeration.
Is an "overexaggeration" worse than an "exaggeration?"

Those of us who are mechanics know that most pilots would be shocked at what we find in airplanes. Are you a mechanic?

Last edited:
And the plane looked so sexy on the outside that there was some cognitive dissonance in my own head trying to reconcile what I was experiencing inside versus how nice it looks with fresh paint and a good interior and a brand new nav unit.
Yeah, I've worked on a few airplanes for their new owners. Nice paint and upholstery and radios sure do sell, but they are sometimes just lipstick on a pig. I used to find some sick stuff that should have killed the deal if they'd had a proper prebuy done.

Back