Questions regarding sport pilots licenses and MOSAIC

klaus_von_292

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
klaus_von_292
I have a couple questions pertaining to sport pilot licenses and mosaic.

- If mosaic passes, can I go to any flight school that offers private pilot training and train on a 172 and obtain my sport license? Would I have to wait for them to implement a "sport pilot" curriculum, or can they start training me as soon as the mosaic passes? (The nearest sports pilot school is 1 hour away, and the nearest private pilot school is 20 minutes away. I'm considering "waiting" for mosaic to save on gas money.)

- What are the chances that mosaic doesn't pass and the status quo remains? Multiple sources say it will pass in early 2025. Will it even pass in 2025?

- Is it possible that GA renters will not rent out 172s and other GA aircraft to sport pilots? Would they require a basic med or a medical to rent versus just a drivers license and a sports license?

- What type of helicopters would mosaic permit sport pilots to operate? I've heard of this, but I'm not sure if it's true.

- What countries recognize the US sport pilot license?

- Is there a possibility that the FAA will reduce restrictions on the sport pilot license even further than what's proposed in the mosaic? Such as increasing the passenger count to 2 or 3, allowing night flying without a medical or basic med, or removing the maximum stall speed?

Regards.

As far as I know, only the Bahamas is the only country which accepts US sport.
- If mosaic passes, can I go to any flight school that offers private pilot training and train on a 172 and obtain my sport license? Would I have to wait for them to implement a "sport pilot" curriculum, or can they start training me as soon as the mosaic passes? (The nearest sports pilot school is 1 hour away, and the nearest private pilot school is 20 minutes away.
They don't have to implement a special "curriculum." Par 61 schools don't require a formal curriculum for anything. Plus, a sport pilot syllabus/curriculum is basically the same as a private pilot one, with a few tasks removed. Whether you can go to "any" flight school depends on what the flight school wants to do. It's basically the same as...
- Is it possible that GA renters will not rent out 172s and other GA aircraft to sport pilots? Would they require a basic med or a medical to rent versus just a drivers license and a sports license?
Possible? Of course. It's up to the lessor who they will allow to fly their aircraft. It may take some time. This is in a way similar to when BasicMed came out. Some flight schools came on board right away; others were hesitant until it became more common. Think also in terms of what insurers will require since that often drives these things.

My crystal ball isn't working too well, so I don't know when or if MOSAIC will become a reality and what the Final Rule will look like.

First, frankly, Schools, FBOs, & Clubs are going to fear exactly the kind of person your question represents: Sport Pilots & wannabe pilots who want PPL privileges on the cheap & easy, those without having done the work and gotten the training & experience that a PPL represent, those with a inflated sense of ability (the Dunning-Kruger Effect), usually derived from a lot of experience driving SIMs.

However, when inexperience sidelines an aircraft, that represents more than the cost of repair or replacement, but hundreds of hours of potential training and rental income lost. So renters might be hesitant to rent to such a person, when people they know and have trained are clamoring for a slot.

Second, MOSAIC is already here. You’re wondering about the proposed changes to MOSAIC. We are all wondering. Follow Dan Johnson, https://bydanjohnson.com/. He’s involved in the actual process and usually has an Oshkosh seminar and changes that he posts on YT and writes about on his site.

Third, you can take dual instruction in any SEL aircraft and have it count toward your SP license hours. However, at present, you will not be able to solo until you fulfill the Student Pilot and Medical requirements for PPL. Most renters also require you to buy an insurance policy for student pilots before you solo (although you’re covered by the FBO or Club policy for dual instruction).

Certainly, once you’re certificated, no one will rent you an airplane without renters insurance. Insurance is the controlling factor. You can fly whatever your insurer says you can fly. Plus you’ll also need a checkout ride by the FBO or Club chief pilot. If approved (and if MOSAIC changes in the way we expect) then you’ll be thrown into the pool of people competing to rent the 172s on the line. I expect insurers to take a very large pound of flesh as MOSAIC moves up in HP, weight, body count, stall speed, & complexity, commiserate with the risks in the hands of an SP.

You can’t get Basic Med without first having had a 3rd Class Medical.

The rest is completely unknown. There will be a transition period, if there are changes to MOSAIC, where no one will know what to do. Expect confusion for awhile. Schools are going to have to negotiate with their insurance carriers, etc.

First, frankly, Schools, FBOs, & Clubs are going to fear exactly the kind of person your question represents: Sport Pilots & wannabe pilots who want PPL privileges on the cheap & easy, those without having done the work and gotten the training & experience that a PPL represent, those with a inflated sense of ability (the Dunning-Kruger Effect), usually derived from a lot of experience driving SIMs.
Currently, the typical pilot trained as a sport pilot generally has a higher skill level than a private pilot on the tasks they are limited to. Of course that may change with the expansion but I doubt it.

I remember arranging to my first LSA checkout and being told that, unlike the typical 1-hour checkout for an experienced transitoning private pilot in their C172s and PA28s, it was a minimum of 2 hours for their LSA. Turned out that was pretty common.

But, @klaus_von_292, you can see in that post the attitude which makes your questions about availability of training and renting difficult to answer.

The only difference between a student pilot working towards his Private and a Sport Pilot is that the Sport Pilot can carry a passenger. Both go out into the world without an instructor on board...the Student might have 20 hours TT, and the Sport might also have 20 hours TT. The Student might nominally have an instructor monitoring them, but once the plane is dispatched there isn't any difference.

Ron Wanttaja

Currently, the typical pilot trained as a sport pilot generally has a higher skill level than a private pilot on the tasks they are limited to. Of course that may change with the expansion but I doubt it.

I remember arranging to my first LSA checkout and being told that, unlike the typical 1-hour checkout for an experienced transitoning private pilot in their C172s and PA28s, it was a minimum of 2 hours for their LSA. Turned out that was pretty common.

But, @klaus_von_292, you can see in that post the attitude which makes your questions about availability of training and renting difficult to answer.
The controlling thought there is “tasks they are limited to.” When I transitioned into my Bushcat, I discovered the biggest challenge transitioning from a 172 is that LSAs are nothing more than “leafs with an engine.” Fairly high power to weight ratios and very light wing loading. It takes considerably more finesse, particularly in windy conditions, to get an LSA down and —here’s the important part— keep it down.

In fact, I flew a C150 for 15 hrs before moving to the Bushcat, because the profile of the 150 is so similar to an LSA. I didn’t realize how much I’d relied on “driving” the 172 with it’s higher weight & heavier wing loading.

Anyway, I’m sure SPs are quite proficient at the basics. It’s adding the additional tasks: higher speeds, more bodies to smear across a mountain side, night flying, longer cross-countries.

If the FAA requires additional training for each task (as it does for SP flying into controlled airspace) that is going to add up pretty quickly to the hours required for a PPL.

IDK. Forget the FAA & MOSAIC. In the end, insurance and the rental risk assessment will be the controlling factor in all these questions.

Anyway, I’m sure SPs are quite proficient at the basics. It’s adding the additional tasks: higher speeds, more bodies to smear across a mountain side, night flying, longer cross-countries.

If the FAA requires additional training for each task (as it does for SP flying into controlled airspace) that is going to add up pretty quickly to the hours required for a PPL.
I agree with both thoughts.

"Higher speeds" is already regulated. Currently based on a VH 87 KTS or higher, which is pretty low. I won't be surprised to see another level requiring additional training. But even without it, if we're talking rentals, we're talking checkout. If we're talking insurance, we're talking underwriting for additonal dual requirements.

Except those privileges can be added as needed. They don’t need to be added all at once.

I have a couple questions pertaining to sport pilot licenses and mosaic.

- If mosaic passes, can I go to any flight school that offers private pilot training and train on a 172 and obtain my sport license? Would I have to wait for them to implement a "sport pilot" curriculum, or can they start training me as soon as the mosaic passes? (The nearest sports pilot school is 1 hour away, and the nearest private pilot school is 20 minutes away. I'm considering "waiting" for mosaic to save on gas money.)

- What are the chances that mosaic doesn't pass and the status quo remains? Multiple sources say it will pass in early 2025. Will it even pass in 2025?

- What type of helicopters would mosaic permit sport pilots to operate? I've heard of this, but I'm not sure if it's true.

- What countries recognize the US sport pilot license?

- Is there a possibility that the FAA will reduce restrictions on the sport pilot license even further than what's proposed in the mosaic? Such as increasing the passenger count to 2 or 3, allowing night flying without a medical or basic med, or removing the maximum stall speed?

Regards.
I believe about any Part 61 flight school will train in a 172 for light sport if MOSIAC passes. I also believe they will rent a 172 to a LS pilot that provides non-owners insurance to the limits the flight school requires.

I doubt any flight school /FBO is going to rent a plane for a LS to fly to another country.

The chances of the FAA allowing night flight or more than 1 passenger is zero.

Last edited:
They don't have to implement a special "curriculum." Par 61 schools don't require a formal curriculum for anything. Plus, a sport pilot syllabus/curriculum is basically the same as a private pilot one, with a few tasks removed. Whether you can go to "any" flight school depends on what the flight school wants to do.
I was under the impression that a CFI had to be separately certified for SP instruction. Is this not correct?

Seriously?

I was under the impression that a CFI had to be separately certified for SP instruction. Is this not correct?
No. There is a sport pilot instructor certificate for sport pilots to obtain instructor privileges in LSAs for students training to be sport pilots.

But I, as a "regular" CFI-ASE am authorized to teach in light sports and train sport pilots.

The chances of the FAA allowing night flight or more than 1 passenger is zero.
The current NPRM retains the 2 occupant limit, but provides for night flight with training/endorsement if the sport pilot obtains either a third class medical or BasicMed.

Proposed § 61.329 How do I obtain privileges to operate an aircraft at night?
You may act as pilot in command with a sport pilot certificate during night operations if you:​
(a) Receive three hours of flight training at night from an authorized instructor and receive a logbook endorsement from an authorized instructor certifying that you are proficient in the operation of the aircraft at night;​
(b) Conduct at least one cross-country flight during the flight training under paragraph (a) of this section at night, with a landing at an airport of at least 25 nautical miles from the departure airport, except for powered parachutes;​
(c) Accomplish at least ten takeoffs and landings at night with an authorized instructor; and​
(d) Either hold a medical certificate issued under part 67 of this chapter or, provided the pilot holds a valid U.S. driver’s license, meet the requirements of§ 61.23(c)(3) and conduct the operation consistently with § 61.113(i).​

The current NPRM retains the 2 occupant limit, but provides for night flight with training/endorsement if the sport pilot obtains either a third class medical or BasicMed.

Proposed § 61.329 How do I obtain privileges to operate an aircraft at night?
You may act as pilot in command with a sport pilot certificate during night operations if you:​
(a) Receive three hours of flight training at night from an authorized instructor and receive a logbook endorsement from an authorized instructor certifying that you are proficient in the operation of the aircraft at night;​
(b) Conduct at least one cross-country flight during the flight training under paragraph (a) of this section at night, with a landing at an airport of at least 25 nautical miles from the departure airport, except for powered parachutes;​
(c) Accomplish at least ten takeoffs and landings at night with an authorized instructor; and​
(d) Either hold a medical certificate issued under part 67 of this chapter or, provided the pilot holds a valid U.S. driver’s license, meet the requirements of§ 61.23(c)(3) and conduct the operation consistently with § 61.113(i).​
If you're going to do all of that, why wouldn't you just complete the PPL?

If you're going to do all of that, why wouldn't you just complete the PPL?
I sort of agree, although most of these tend to be optional add-ons rather than base requirements. Many times they are done as needed rather than as an initial training decision. Person gets a sport certificate thinking they will just fly locally and for some $100 hamburgers. A few years later decide they really want to expand their horizons and go into Class D, C, and B airports. Night? just look at how many private pilots decide not to fly at night because of what they see as increased risks.

Plus, sport privilege increases are by instructor endorsement. Like all all endorsements regardless of certificate, they are just training to proficiency by an instructor, not a full-blown checkride with a DPE. That's an attractive option for many.

On the medical requirement, different issue. And it's one of the reasons organizations like EAA are pushing a bit against the medical part of the proposed requirements.

However, when inexperience sidelines an aircraft, that represents more than the cost of repair or replacement, but hundreds of hours of potential training and rental income lost. So renters might be hesitant to rent to such a person, when people they know and have trained are clamoring for a slot.
I don't want to "skip out" on training or do it the "easy way." I just don't want to deal with the lifetime hassle of a medical. I could probably get a medical if I really wanted to, but I'd have to go through a possible deferment (maybe they would issue me in office, or maybe they would defer me, idk. Not worth the risk.), which is, no thanks. If I can fly a C172 in a class B airspace, then the sport license does more than enough for me already. For safety reasons, I do want to be "fully trained".
I assume the same is true for IFR.
I heard somewhere that there was a possibility that they allow sport pilots to obtain an IR rating for safety reasons. But that's probably a less than 1% chance.
I doubt any flight school /FBO is going to rent a plane for a LS to fly to another country.
So I would have to purchase my own plane to fly to the Bahamas?

As far as I know, only the Bahamas is the only country which accepts US sport.
Weird question, but on the AOPA website, I saw that it says, "Outside the United States, unless you have prior authorization from the country in which you seek to operate." Does this mean if I request permission from any country government to fly in their airspace with a sport certificate, they could in theory allow it? How would one go about requesting? I don't understand.

Sorry if it's a dumb question.

So I would have to purchase my own plane to fly to the Bahamas?
Almost certainly.
Weird question, but on the AOPA website, I saw that it says, "Outside the United States, unless you have prior authorization from the country in which you seek to operate." Does this mean if I request permission from any country government to fly in their airspace with a sport certificate, they could in theory allow it? How would one go about requesting? I don't understand.
An individual getting permission from another country to fly on a SP certificate is extremely unlikely. It would have to be a blanket approval, like Mexico and the Bahamas now do for basicmed.

Generally, you would check with another country’s version of the FAA to see if they recognize/offer reciprocity for an FAA Sport Pilot certificate.

If they don’t, you would see if they allow conversion of your FAA certificate to one of their national certificates.

Second, MOSAIC is already here. You’re wondering about the proposed changes to MOSAIC. We are all wondering. Follow Dan Johnson, https://bydanjohnson.com/. He’s involved in the actual process and usually has an Oshkosh seminar and changes that he posts on YT and writes about on his site.

Third, you can take dual instruction in any SEL aircraft and have it count toward your SP license hours. However, at present, you will not be able to solo until you fulfill the Student Pilot and Medical requirements for PPL. Most renters also require you to buy an insurance policy for student pilots before you solo (although you’re covered by the FBO or Club policy for dual instruction).

Certainly, once you’re certificated, no one will rent you an airplane without renters insurance. Insurance is the controlling factor. You can fly whatever your insurer says you can fly. Plus you’ll also need a checkout ride by the FBO or Club chief pilot. If approved (and if MOSAIC changes in the way we expect) then you’ll be thrown into the pool of people competing to rent the 172s on the line. I expect insurers to take a very large pound of flesh as MOSAIC moves up in HP, weight, body count, stall speed, & complexity, commiserate with the risks in the hands of an SP.

You can’t get Basic Med without first having had a 3rd Class Medical.

The rest is completely unknown. There will be a transition period, if there are changes to MOSAIC, where no one will know what to do. Expect confusion for awhile. Schools are going to have to negotiate with their insurance carriers, etc.
You bring up valid points. The insurance companies are the ones that will make it difficult for somebody to just up and jump in a plane (with insurance) in an mLSA. Even private pilots today get written policies with minimum time in type and experience requirements. It really comes down to them as to what will be allowed. You may be able to buy and fly an mLSA out of your own grass strip but you can’t do the same out of a public use airport because most of them require insurance and it comes down to what the insurers are comfortable insuring vs what is legal.

I hadn’t really consider that aspect but I do know many existing sport pilots have a hard time getting hull coverage at reasonable rate.

I may have misinterpreted this question, but I want to clarify that mosaic is most certainly not going to allow you fly a rotorcraft without a rotorcraft specific rating.

That’s mostly due to the higher accident rate - more hull claims - for LSAs.
Actually, in the past several years, SLSA's accident rate has been coming closer to that of traditional trainers.
1722462369827.png
A factor on the insurance rates has to reflect the *value* of the aircraft involved, as well. Total a 1977 Cessna 152, and you're out...what, $50,000? Modern LSAs go for twice that. The number of 152s has dropped in half over the past twenty or so years, too....
1722462678095.png
Ron Wanttaja

No, this means the country has aviation regulations the permit LS operations internationally.

Most flight schools and FBOs do not allow their rental aircraft to be flown to other countries where their aircraft can be seized from inexperienced pilots who break regulations.

Actually, in the past several years, SLSA's accident rate has been coming closer to that of traditional trainers.
View attachment 131977
A factor on the insurance rates has to reflect the *value* of the aircraft involved, as well. Total a 1977 Cessna 152, and you're out...what, $50,000? Modern LSAs go for twice that. The number of 152s has dropped in half over the past twenty or so years, too....
View attachment 131978
Ron Wanttaja
Not really. In an apples to apples comparison, accidents occurring IFR, night, complex, high performance, and with more than 1 passenger would have to be excluded.

If Mosaic passes, it looks to me like over time will end up with some kind of merge between PPL and SP with the final process being similar to what you get in the automotive industry - some kind of formal medical required only for commercial operations.

Not really. In an apples to apples comparison, accidents occurring IFR, night, complex, high performance, and with more than 1 passenger would have to be excluded.
I figured the comparison of Cessna 152 accidents with Light Sports would be pretty equivalent. Few IFR or night, not complex, not high performance, and possible to have only one passenger.

The other factor (not included above) is the annual utilization of the aircraft, and the number that are indeed active. The FAA General Aviation Survey says that two-seat aircraft in the US fly an average of 73 hours a year, but Special Light Sports fly 92 hours/year (e.g., 25% more flight time). In addition, the survey says that about 35% of the two-seat fleet is inactive, vs. just 15% of the SLSAs.

Ron Wanttaja

FAA says they are introducing Mosaic in the first place precisely because after 20 years of LSAs data they see no significant difference in terms of overall safety record between traditional GA/PPL and LSA/SP , which makes the above somewhat of a moot point …

You bring up valid points. The insurance companies are the ones that will make it difficult for somebody to just up and jump in a plane (with insurance) in an mLSA. Even private pilots today get written policies with minimum time in type and experience requirements. It really comes down to them as to what will be allowed. You may be able to buy and fly an mLSA out of your own grass strip but you can’t do the same out of a public use airport because most of them require insurance and it comes down to what the insurers are comfortable insuring vs what is legal.

I hadn’t really consider that aspect but I do know many existing sport pilots have a hard time getting hull coverage at reasonable rate.
Will getting insurance and a rental for a C172, for example, be problematic for me with a sport pilot license? Is this likely to cause me a serious headache or not? If I'm going to drop $15k on a sports pilot's license, I want to be able to actually rent out aircraft and fly them (preferably C172). Is there a way to get a quota on insurance? I'm new and don't know where to start to research this.
I may have misinterpreted this question, but I want to clarify that mosaic is most certainly not going to allow you fly a rotorcraft without a rotorcraft specific rating.
I cannot post links since this is a new account, but there is a chart on the eaa's website that says mosaic will allow:
"Airplanes, gliders, LTA, PP, WSC, gyroplanes
Some helicopters and other types with simplified
flight controls"

I'm curious, what does "Some helicopters and other types with simplified flight controls" mean? Thank you.
Generally, you would check with another country’s version of the FAA to see if they recognize/offer reciprocity for an FAA Sport Pilot certificate.

If they don’t, you would see if they allow conversion of your FAA certificate to one of their national certificates.
Thank you, and it seems like The Bahamas is the only country that recognizes sport pilot licenses. Pure curiosity, there is no way to fly an aircraft from Washington State to Alaska since Canada doesn't recognize the sport pilot license. Would you, in theory, be able to cross into Alaska via international airspace?

Thank you everyone for the responses. I apologize if my questions may seem dumb as I'm new to this.

Will getting insurance and a rental for a C172, for example, be problematic for me with a sport pilot license? Is this likely to cause me a serious headache or not? If I'm going to drop $15k on a sports pilot's license, I want to be able to actually rent out aircraft and fly them (preferably C172). Is there a way to get a quota on insurance? I'm new and don't know where to start to research this.

I cannot post links since this is a new account, but there is a chart on the eaa's website that says mosaic will allow:
"Airplanes, gliders, LTA, PP, WSC, gyroplanes
Some helicopters and other types with simplified
flight controls"

I'm curious, what does "Some helicopters and other types with simplified flight controls" mean? Thank you.

Thank you, and it seems like The Bahamas is the only country that recognizes sport pilot licenses. Pure curiosity, there is no way to fly an aircraft from Washington State to Alaska since Canada doesn't recognize the sport pilot license. Would you, in theory, be able to cross into Alaska via international airspace?

Thank you everyone for the responses. I apologize if my questions may seem dumb as I'm new to this.
You need specific ratings for airplanes, gliders, gyros, etc. All those categories exist for light sport, just as they do for private, but having private airplane does not allow you to fly rotorcraft, and the same is true for light sport.

Last edited:
I can get insurance for a homebuilt taildragger as a 72 year old geezer with no medical. Why would a 172 be harder to insure?
Think semi-aiutonomous quad copters.

Back