PPR 24 hrs for unsked acft ops

ayryq

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
ayryq
I'm flying to an airport (KITH) tomorrow with this note in the chart supplement: "PPR 24 hrs for unsked acft ops" (writing it out for the PoA search engine; "Prior permission required 24 hours for unscheduled aircraft operations")
Unlike the more common "PPR 24 hrs for unsked acft ops with more than xx passenger seats" or the like, ITH does not have any conditions noted.
Does that note mean that all aircraft (including me in a Cherokee) need to call for 24h in advance? or does "acft ops" have a more specific meaning?
It seems a little crazy to me that a large-ish public towered airport would require all traffic to call ahead. But my experience level is limited:
I'm planning today for my first solo xc tomorrow, and today is my CFI's day off... so I'd rather not bug him. If I'm still unsure in a few hours I'll just call the manager number noted in the CS.

That quote is in the middle of some info about firefighting; I wonder if it's related to that.
AIRPORT REMARKS: Attended 1000–0500Z‡. Deer and flocks of birds on and invof arpt. Rwy 15–33 CLOSED ngts, winter months, and after heavy rain. Class I, ARFF Index C. PPR 24 hrs for unsked acft ops. Call AMGR 607–257–6666. ARFF avbl 0930–0500Z‡ and/or 15 min prior to or 15 min aft sked acr opns. Rwy 15–33 thlds marked with white lime bar, edges marked with reflectors. […]

(EDIT) Even though it says "amgr" that phone number (6666) is for the on-field fire station. It's different from the manager number listed elsewhere in the listing. So I'm guessing the PPR is if ARFF services are needed.

Last edited:
That quote is in the middle of some info about firefighting; I wonder if it's related to that.

(EDIT) Even though it says "amgr" that phone number (6666) is for the on-field fire station. It's different from the manager number listed elsewhere in the listing. So I'm guessing the PPR is if ARFF services are needed.
This is most certainly the meaning of the note. Scheduled/unscheduled refers to air carrier operations (ie part 135/121) that require a part 139 compliant airport with operational ARFF services. Since you don’t require such services, you’re good.

I agree the note is poorly written. Kudos to you though; 97% of transient pilots would never even notice that note in the chart supplement.

This is most certainly the meaning of the note. Scheduled/unscheduled refers to air carrier operations (ie part 135/121) that require a part 139 compliant airport with operational ARFF services. Since you don’t require such services, you’re good.

I agree the note is poorly written. Kudos to you though; 97% of transient pilots would never even notice that note in the chart supplement.
Thank you for your definitive answer. Don't give me too much credit; for a first solo xc to an unfamiliar airport (and airspace, my first class D), I imagine (hope) most students are triple-checking everything.

Thank you for your definitive answer. Don't give me too much credit; for a first solo xc to an unfamiliar airport (and airspace, my first class D), I imagine (hope) most students are triple-checking everything.
lol, I quickly scanned your post and missed the note that this was your first solo XC. Still, good on ya for asking the question.

The problem is not everybody who is generating these things is paying attention to the entire Airport Master Record when they interpret the remarks. The "PPR..." comment is under element 26 which applies to ARFF and airline operations.

The problem is not everybody who is generating these things is paying attention to the entire Airport Master Record when they interpret the remarks. The "PPR..." comment is under element 26 which applies to ARFF and airline operations.
FAR Part 139 is Airport Certification.
  1. Unscheduled Operation - any common carriage passenger-carrying operation for compensation or hire, using aircraft designed for at least 31 passenger seats, conducted by an air carrier for which the departure time, departure location, and arrival location are specifically negotiated with the customer or the customer's representative. This includes any passenger-carrying supplemental operation conducted under 14 CFR Part 121 and any passenger-carrying public charter operation conducted under 14 CFR Part 380.

Is that something I can check out? In the paper Chart Supplement it's just a single block of "remarks."

That's because programmers are lazy AF.

The hint is looking at it on Airnav which puts "Airlines: " before that remark.

Back