Poor Piper :(

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Piper has been breaking nails a lot lately. They've been super brittle and easy to break, and its very painful when he does. I had them checked once before and was told by the vet that its really not that big of a deal, and to walk him more.

Well, I tried, and the nails still don't wear down. Piper is scared when people touch his feet since they're in a perpetual state of pain, so clipping his nails is not a good idea (lest I want to risk rolling Piper again, and I've learned my lesson there).

So I got a call telling me it was time for Piper's teeth cleaning, and I usually pass on it, but figured, hell, if they're going to anesthetize him, I might as well have his nailed looked at closely without fear of dog freaking out.

So he went in today, and they found that there was no specific underlying concern associated with his claws, except that they grow at the wrong angle, and therefore don't wear down during walks (they don't touch), so I'll simply have to muzzle him and clip his nails.

But one of his nails was ripped right through the quick, and when it healed, it healed with his quick still ripped, so they wound up removing the entire nail to give it a chance to heal around it. Then they ace bandaged his foot.

He did not come out of anesthesia very well (he never does), and they were worried about him for a while, but now he's better and home, but he's tripping balls. He doesn't know what the hell is going on, and falls asleep a bunch. The problem is that when he wakes up, he forgets that his paw is bandaged, so he tries to walk, feels it and freaks, and starts hopping quickly around trying to figure out what's up.

Poor dog :( I can feed him a little in about an hour or so. I've been watering him normally since he's holding it down.

In case anyone wants to see a pathetic dog:

Attachments

• piper.jpg
    piper.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 62
Pancho sends Piper condolences.

Tell him her owner has not quite yet figured out what level of steroids keeps away the nosebleeds but he can fix it fast when it happens.

(BTW she got a beauty parlor trip the other day. I let them cut her nails. I'M afraid of hurting her.)

Last edited:
Bear and Hoss also send well wishes to Piper.

It's tough dealing with a dog, Nick as they can't communicate what's going on. I know you know this but thought it worthwhile to mention.

Good luck!

That's a bummer... hope Piper feels better soon.

Surprised the vet didn't recommend vitamins or something... are you feeding Piper different food lately?

As for trimming sensitive nails, I stopped using (the dreaded) clippers on Peg after seeing the Pedi Paws thing. Of course, before buying one, I tried (carefully) using my Dremel (which is essentially the same thing)... but even at low speeds it's a bit too torque-y. It wasn't much more enjoyable for her than the clippers, which she hates. she won't try to bite me, but all te squirming actually makes it more likely I'll hurt her.
Risked $20 on the battery-operated PediPaws tool, and it's very gentle, has a guard/dust catcher, etc... it's a bit on the wimpy side, because it has some sort of clutch so you can't dig in very much at once, but it works, and she stll fidgets a little, but "pedicure time" is not a wrestling match anymore. :D

A bit slower than clipping, and a little stinky (think burning hair), but it's quiet and is definitely not going to hurt the dog. And if the nails are brittle, this sanding action prevents more damage, and "dresses" the end of the nail very nicely.

As for trimming sensitive nails, I stopped using (the dreaded) clippers on Peg after seeing the Pedi Paws thing. Of course, before buying one, I tried (carefully) using my Dremel (which is essentially the same thing)... but even at low speeds it's a bit too torque-y. It wasn't much more enjoyable for her than the clippers, which she hates. she won't try to bite me, but all te squirming actually makes it more likely I'll hurt her.
Risked $20 on the battery-operated PediPaws tool, and it's very gentle, has a guard/dust catcher, etc... it's a bit on the wimpy side, because it has some sort of clutch so you can't dig in very much at once, but it works, and she stll fidgets a little, but "pedicure time" is not a wrestling match anymore. :D

A bit slower than clipping, and a little stinky (think burning hair), but it's quiet and is definitely not going to hurt the dog. And if the nails are brittle, this sanding action prevents more damage, and "dresses" the end of the nail very nicely.

Thanks for the info.

I was thinking of getting the Pedi-Paws. My local Pet Supplies Plus had them. I was afeared of the ol' infomercial craparama.

I guess I'll pick one up to keep down the clank-clank-clank as Pancho walks on my wood floors.

Commisseration from these parts too...nails are a sensitive area and we don't have a universal fix for a lot of these issues. If it really seems to hurt, we do have a wide array of pain meds (you'd have to get from your vet).
The 'steroids for nasal bleeding' is intriguing and interesting...details?

That's a bummer... hope Piper feels better soon.

Surprised the vet didn't recommend vitamins or something... are you feeding Piper different food lately?

My dog hates the pediPaws more than nail clippers. If you just turn it on he hides in his kennel.

And Murphey sends his regards...he just finished a week of drugs for a doggie cold (every morning he'd get up, go over to the corner of the hall way and throw up...). Neither of us were happy. The only way I can get pills down him is with peanut butter - the stuff that I grind at home. Just try and find some peanuts these days!

I noticed in one of the dog catalogs nail tips (sorta like the little rubber covers over the flip switches in the airplane) that might help keep the nail from splitting.

www.drsfostersmith.com

Soft Claws Nail Caps for Dog

My dog hates the pediPaws more than nail clippers. If you just turn it on he hides in his kennel.
I guess the noise freaks him out.

You can probably get him used to it with a little work... try leaving it on near his food when you put his food out. Dogs rarely run away from food. :D

I often wonder if Peg is going deaf, 'cuz she tolerates all kinds of loud and soft machine noises, loud music, etc (except thunder- she's terrified of thunder). But she can't be deaf, 'cuz she can hear a can being opened (manually) 100 feet away, and she'll come running to me when she hears a thunderstorm that I can't hear yet.:D

Thanks for the info.

I was thinking of getting the Pedi-Paws. My local Pet Supplies Plus had them. I was afeared of the ol' infomercial craparama.

So was I...I only brought it to te register because I thought it was on sale (read the wrong sign, d'oh). But I took a chance anyway. The clutch-action was a bit of a disappointment (it gives up a little more easily than I think it needs to), but other than that, it's pretty good. Battery life is not bad, and it's sturdy.

.. I often wonder if Peg is going deaf, 'cuz she tolerates all kinds of loud and soft machine noises, loud music, etc (except thunder- she's terrified of thunder). But she can't be deaf, 'cuz she can hear a can being opened (manually) 100 feet away, and she'll come running to me when she hears a thunderstorm that I can't hear yet.:D

Pancho, theoretically is deaf, due to the calcification in her ears from them not being cleaned regularly.

I have to gauge how much she can hear me. If I call her name loudly when we're in the same room, she will eventually look at me. If she's in another room I can call her loudly and forever and she won't come until I show up at the door and she sees me.

BUT I know for a fact that she can hear me when I tell her to go out for her evening ritual. We've had cases where one moderately loud mention sends her running, but I usually have to yell slightly and coax her a bit.

I think she can hear low frequencies. Low booms and stuff dropping is the only thing that randomly puts her in barking watchdog mode.

We had a case where we went out the front door and she took up a position looking out the storm door window to watch where we were. We came in through the back door and called her but it wasn't until we touched and startled her that she noticed we were back in the house. :dunno:

Pancho, theoretically is deaf, due to the calcification in her ears from them not being cleaned regularly.

I have to gauge how much she can hear me. If I call her name loudly when we're in the same room, she will eventually look at me. If she's in another room I can call her loudly and forever and she won't come until I show up at the door and she sees me.

BUT I know for a fact that she can hear me when I tell her to go out for her evening ritual. We've had cases where one moderately loud mention sends her running, but I usually have to yell slightly and coax her a bit.

I think she can hear low frequencies. Low booms and stuff dropping is the only thing that randomly puts her in barking watchdog mode.

We had a case where we went out the front door and she took up a position looking out the storm door window to watch where we were. We came in through the back door and called her but it wasn't until we touched and startled her that she noticed we were back in the house. :dunno:
She's a cat.

Well i'll add me 2 cents here.sorry about pipers nail problem Nick. as far as the rest of the dogs Bear told me to tell you " Hey we are getting old and developing Altzheimers and selective hearing' (lol) He hears what he wants and ignores the rest. But mention FOOD or OUT and he's there.
Dave G

Attachments

• BEAR.jpg
    BEAR.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 5
Back