Pink Floyd DSOM 40 year anniversary - still iconic

docmirror

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Cowboy - yeehah!
http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/stop-the-presses/pink-floyd-dark-side-40-years-later-40-205227757.html

I recall listening to in in spring, maybe April or May when it came out. I just sat there - stunned. I was in a band, playing guitar and some vocals. I heard DSOM, and I just about quit. There was no way we could ever do anything like that.

Later I worked at A&M records and I learned how much of it was electronics, but still - what artistry, and elegance. If you are under 30 and haven't listened to it in a dark, quiet place do yourself a favor.

Several passages in the album have to do with the previous front man going insane ("I've always been mad, I know I've been mad", etc), it's a theme along with the theme of trying to control time. I sure didn't understand any of it then, but what power.

Pink Floyd has always been my favorite band (I'm 26). My parents raised me on a healthy mix of Floyd and Alan Parsons. Thanks for the link.

http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/stop-the-presses/pink-floyd-dark-side-40-years-later-40-205227757.html

I recall listening to in in spring, maybe April or May when it came out. I just sat there - stunned. I was in a band, playing guitar and some vocals. I heard DSOM, and I just about quit. There was no way we could ever do anything like that.

Later I worked at A&M records and I learned how much of it was electronics, but still - what artistry, and elegance. If you are under 30 and haven't listened to it in a dark, quiet place do yourself a favor.

Several passages in the album have to do with the previous front man going insane ("I've always been mad, I know I've been mad", etc), it's a theme along with the theme of trying to control time. I sure didn't understand any of it then, but what power.

Pop in The Wizard of Oz, when the MGM lion roars the third time, press play on DSOM.

All that you touch, and all that you see...

Like I said, I heard it as a teen, and it was a complete shock to think music could sound like that. We were playing the Trogs, and some Doors. This was not only new, it was just - out there.

Oh yeah, best album ever recorded. Alan Parsons did the engineering.

People say that the Beatle's Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was the seminal album of the era, but I've always argued that Dark Side of the Moon was the epitome. It's hard to believe those albums were made less than six years apart.

Nothing like it existed before, and nothing has sounded like it since. Pink Floyd truly created their own genre.

I still remember my high school history teacher (a year after DSOM was relief) being begged to reschedule an exam as the Pink Floyd concert nearby was the night before. I can still remember him stating that he was not going to reschedule the test because of a Drippy Floyd concert (he alternated calling them Drippy Pink and Drippy Floyd all the time).

Still he was one of the better teachers I had in my public schooling.

I still remember my high school history teacher (a year after DSOM was relief) being begged to reschedule an exam as the Pink Floyd concert nearby was the night before. I can still remember him stating that he was not going to reschedule the test because of a Drippy Floyd concert (he alternated calling them Drippy Pink and Drippy Floyd all the time).

Speaking of Pink Floyd concerts, who has seen them live? Mary and I saw them in 1979-ish, on the Animals album tour.

We were at the concert where the band spent the night in jail for exploding a giant, helium (hydrogen?) filled pig over Milwaukee County Stadium, causing accidents on nearby Interstate 94.

It was an awesome concert...I think. :D

Edit: Whoops, I see Animals was released in 1977. Dang, Mary and I have been together a long time. :sly:

Last edited:
Speaking of Pink Floyd concerts, who has seen them live? Mary and I saw them in 1979-ish, on the Animals album tour.

We were at the concert where the band spent the night in jail for exploding a giant, helium (hydrogen?) filled pig over Milwaukee County Stadium, causing accidents on nearby Interstate 94.

Division Bell tour in '94 at Vandy Stadium. I remember that this was the first concert where ticket prices really went throught the roof. I remember there was some controversy about it. I think I paid $60-something each, normal top-tier concerts were selling for $12-22 then IIRC. Was great but I found myself wishing Roger Waters was there.

Division Bell tour in '94 at Vandy Stadium. I remember that this was the first concert where ticket prices really went throught the roof. I remember there was some controversy about it. I think I paid $60-something each, normal top-tier concerts were selling for $12-22 then IIRC. Was great but I found myself wishing Roger Waters was there.

Ouch. I bet we paid less than $20 to see them in '77.

I saw them in '88. Obviously, no Roger, but Dave, Nick, and Rick were there with about 10 more support musicians. Best concert I ever saw. Animals, btw, was a very under-appreciated album. I put in their top three.

I saw them in '88. Obviously, no Roger, but Dave, Nick, and Rick were there with about 10 more support musicians. Best concert I ever saw. Animals, btw, was a very under-appreciated album. I put in their top three.

1. DSOM
2. Animals
3. The Wall
4. Wish You Were Here

:dunno::yes:

My favorites:
1. DSOM
2. Wish You Were Here
3. Tie: Animals/Momentarily Lapse of Reason
4. Meddle

Why do I think he was at the concert. Never saw them, wished I did, but remember being real upset when the Wall came out and having all my friends telling me about this great "new" band called Pink Floyd. When I told them they had been making great music for years they would not believe me until I showed them my albums. I sort of loss interest in their music after the Wall came out.

Why do I think he was at the concert. Never saw them, wished I did, but remember being real upset when the Wall came out and having all my friends telling me about this great "new" band called Pink Floyd. When I told them they had been making great music for years they would not believe me until I showed them my albums. I sort of loss interest in their music after the Wall came out.

As did we all. The Wall was Pink Floyd's opus, their ultimate achievement, their last goodbye. Since then, they've been living on nostalgia, through the breakups, reunions,etc.

But this is eventually true of every band. Their productive years ultimately give way to a creative vacuum, and they become Neil Diamond playing Vegas...

there is no dark side of the moon . . . in fact its all dark.

I saw the Wall in LA on the first tour of it. They did a series of shows in NY then a series in LA. As I remember they said it took 10 tracker trailers to haul of the stage and props.

People say that the Beatle's Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was the seminal album of the era, but I've always argued that Dark Side of the Moon was the epitome. It's hard to believe those albums were made less than six years apart.

Nothing like it existed before, and nothing has sounded like it since. Pink Floyd truly created their own genre.

I think you could argue that both are equally important. Sgt. Pepper because for the first time you just listened to the music then NSOM just blew the lid off

Maybe its because I was not around back then, but what terrible music. I know I know I am not going to fit in with this crowd.

Maybe its because I was not around back then, but what terrible music. I know I know I am not going to fit in with this crowd.

I have to say, you're the first person I've ever "met" that wasn't blown away by Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon.

Oh, well. Lots of people think "rap" is "music", too, so to each their own.

I still can't listen to Pink Floyd without wanting to kill myself. Not because the music bad, but it's so damn depressing.

I have to say, you're the first person I've ever "met" that wasn't blown away by Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon.

Oh, well. Lots of people think "rap" is "music", too, so to each their own.

Yeah, blown away, with a .45 to my head.

Pink Floyd is probably the only big name band that I do not have a single song by in my collection.

Now there is two of us at least!

I know a couple more in their late 40s that think the same thing. It's not bad music, it's just soooooooo depressing. Country music has nothing on Pink Floyd when it comes to making you want to die.

in forty years from now, is there any artist or group that we can say we'll be talking about with reverence?

50cent?
Justin Bieber?
Alicia Keys?
Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

Not sure why I'm defending Pink Floyd, for those who dismiss them, I guess nothing I could say would make a difference. It would be refreshing if there were any modern musical talent that had about 10% of the abilities of Waters and Gilmour.

Well, I find The Wall liberating. "Tear down the wall! Tear down the Wall!"

Just kidding. Much of their music was rather depressing. But - those were the times.

Edit: Whoops, I see Animals was released in 1977. Dang, Mary and I have been together a long time. :sly:
I remember seeing them doing their stadium show in Pgh's 3 Rivers... around '75 or '76. The balloon pig thing was there but it didn't burst. I'm sure it wasn't supposed to.... wait, what am I'm talking about.... I can't remember a thing from that night. Yes, it's been awhile. :stirpot:

Speaking of Pink Floyd concerts, who has seen them live?

I sw them in Atlanta Stadium probably '74 or '75. They did the whole album without interruption.

One thing I do remember is a huge rocket coming down a cable from the top of the stadium opposite the stage and exploding when it hit the stage.

image_zps94de3818.jpg

I know a couple more in their late 40s that think the same thing. It's not bad music, it's just soooooooo depressing. Country music has nothing on Pink Floyd when it comes to making you want to die.

You are SO correct.

I was in college when The Wall came out. I was broke, didn't like my major, hated my job, was living in a strange city far from home, and my girlfriend dumped me. To say I was despondent and close to suicidal would be accurate.

I listened to The Wall 24/7. Probably the WORST music to listen to while depressed, ever. Nonetheless, I made it through, obviously, and love that album.

So, yeah, if you're feeling down in the dumps, listen to something else. Even country music. :D

in forty years from now, is there any artist or group that we can say we'll be talking about with reverence?

50cent?
Justin Bieber?
Alicia Keys?

Not sure why I'm defending Pink Floyd, for those who dismiss them, I guess nothing I could say would make a difference. It would be refreshing if there were any modern musical talent that had about 10% of the abilities of Waters and Gilmour.

I can only think of one, off the top of my head: Adele.

50cent?
Justin Bieber?
Alicia Keys?

There are. They just don't touch the Top 40 that often.

Though one should consider what was mostly filling the Top 40 during the seventies and early 80's. Until The Wall PF was not really mainstream. Except for Money as a radio released single.

Back