Passenger Briefing -- pilot incapacitation

Briefing in a helicopter? No. There's no way they'll be able to land on their own no matter how much talking down they get from the outside. If the passenger has no aviation experience whatsoever, they're done.

Apparently, you haven't seen an aircraft newer than 1985. Even 172SPs come with push button seat belts and inertia reels.

My buddy's 1995 A36 doesn't. Which means nothing to the discussion.

I tailor my discussion to the passenger, and don't mention "what to do if I pass out." I do mention the little red push button on the yoke, so they don't blab on the radio while talking to me. A friend did that once on an aerobatic ride, we were rolling on the ground listening to the FBO speaker . . .

Have been trying to get the wife familiar with what the yoke does and how it controls the airplane but she is still very afraid that "if she touches anything, the airplane will explode". Typical girl. :D

I've only met a few girls like that, and they weren't "typical" for around here.

Just sayin'.

Tune the radio to 121.5
Use the PTT, and scream hysterically "Mayday" three times.

Flip those two around and preface the 121.5 one with "if you don't hear anyone talking".

90% of the time or more, I'm availing myself of Flight Following or I'm on an IFR Flight Plan and talking to someone, and I usually don't hit the pilot isolate switch unless they're annoying the crap out of me. So they can hear it all.

The radio is probably already set to a frequency that'll get them some help faster than some dweeb trying to relay and help figure out where they are -- just to tell them to switch right back where the radio was, before they went to 121.5.

Plus if I'm in cruise, Com 2 is usually on 121.5 already, in case I ever need to be the dweeb relaying. Ha.

They'd need to know about the rotary knob on the intercom panel for that one.

Or just go with Plan A, and they'll tune Com 1 to it also. No foul.

Unless they're a techie type, or a
musician, explaining the audio source listening buttons on the intercom panel would be nothing but confusing.

Anyway... Long story short, tell them to mash and mayday first. It's how all of the incapacitation to successful landing recordings I've ever heard, all start, anyway.

"Hear voices? Push that button and talk and they'll help you."

I've only met a few girls like that, and they weren't "typical" for around here.

Just sayin'.

Flip those two around and preface the 121.5 one with "if you don't hear anyone talking".

90% of the time or more, I'm availing myself of Flight Following or I'm on an IFR Flight Plan and talking to someone, and I usually don't hit the pilot isolate switch unless they're annoying the crap out of me. So they can hear it all.

The radio is probably already set to a frequency that'll get them some help faster than some dweeb trying to relay and help figure out where they are -- just to tell them to switch right back where the radio was, before they went to 121.5.

Plus if I'm in cruise, Com 2 is usually on 121.5 already, in case I ever need to be the dweeb relaying. Ha.

They'd need to know about the rotary knob on the intercom panel for that one.

Or just go with Plan A, and they'll tune Com 1 to it also. No foul.

Unless they're a techie type, or a
musician, explaining the audio source listening buttons on the intercom panel would be nothing but confusing.

Anyway... Long story short, tell them to mash and mayday first. It's how all of the incapacitation to successful landing recordings I've ever heard, all start, anyway.

"Hear voices? Push that button and talk and they'll help you."

Unless I'm IFR, I'm not on frequency with anyone. Plus my laminated card (when I get around to it - I don't have passengers very often) will have pictures. So there's no real 'splainin to do.

Back