Oshkosh: Mosaic for Private and Sport Pilots session on Wed

Yeah, heat will be an issue….but longer TBOH and lower fuel consumption offsets the higher initial cost. ….
Right up to the point those 130 horses won’t get you off the ground the in the space you have.

TBO isn’t the bogeyman with most turbines, the hot section inspection (and associated intervals) is. And I wasn’t joking about the prop strike. That cost additive may get insurers out of the business of subsidizing an OH.

None of that gets past the physics though. Turboprops, like turbos, see the best efficiency in the low teens to mid-twenties.

I wish them the best in designing a better mousetrap.

Last edited:
I believe he was referring or rhe DAR. But since this is all shrouded in the Final Rule Making process, I suspect he used a generic term to cover FSDO, DAR, Karnak,”The Administrator’ or whoever would decide. I also suspect there might some sort of AC or AC revision to address this. But I’m just SGOTI.
Gotcha.

As far as I know, the FAA never issued an AC that covered EAB eligibility for Light Sport. Nor have I heard of any sort of clamping down, or attempts at enforcement. So I'm curious if an attempt will be made for MOSAIC.

There are two RV-10s listed as Experimental Light Sports in the FAA registry, for example...the "Grandfathered" type of ELSA, where builders of new homebuilts or owners of fat ultralights could get an ELSA certificate basically just for the asking. I'm assuming these two are merely record-keeping errors, but....

My own Fly Baby is a good example. Everyone agrees it qualifies as a Sport Pilot-eligible machine, and I've been flying it as such for the past 20 years. However, it stalls at about 55 MPH indicated, vs. the 45-knot/51 MPH limit for Light Sport. But the airspeed indicator shows a CRUISE of about 105 MPH, which makes me think the calibration is a weeee bit off.....

Ron Wanttaja

Back