Orographic lift (can we stick to one name?)

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Or, maybe these are different things?
About 5 years ago I was told to stop using that term, the new one is (I forgot what that term was, and thankfully it seems to have died off)
Now I see BoldMethod is calling something that looks identical to OL, "Upslope Flow Convergence".
Is it different?
I see a variety of similar things online but also with different names.
Or, are these all the same and I need to press the case to 'select one name and stick to it' ?
What is this thing 'wind hitting rising landmass and then cooling and causing condensation/clouds/rain?
What is your term for it?

Or, maybe these are different things?
About 5 years ago I was told to stop using that term, the new one is (I forgot what that term was, and thankfully it seems to have died off)
Now I see BoldMethod is calling something that looks identical to OL, "Upslope Flow Convergence".
Is it different?
I see a variety of similar things online but also with different names.
Or, are these all the same and I need to press the case to 'select one name and stick to it' ?
What is this thing 'wind hitting rising landmass and then cooling and causing condensation/clouds/rain?
What is your term for it?
Orographic lift just means lift caused by mountains. As opposed to thermal lift. There are multiple types of orographic lift. I've only been flying gliders for 10 years, but I've never heard orographic lift called anything else. I think your confusion might stem from the fact that you're reading BoldMethod.

BTW, a quick Google search leads me to believe that "upslope flow convergence" isn't a commonly used term in aviation or metrology, and that it's merely descriptive of upslope flow (thermal lift) from two sides of a ridge meeting (converging) at the top. Note that this is different from orographic lift, which is caused by wind blowing across a mountain ridge and leads to strong updrafts on the windward side and strong downdrafts on the leeward side.

Orographic lift is also called ridge lift. As a common way to get it is wind nearly perpendicular to a ridge line.

North shore of Oahu, HI is a great example. Fairly long, tall ridge line with pretty constant wind about 90 degrees. I did 6 hours there in a glider.

Back