Oil

landon18

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Landon Scarbrough
I have a 172 that got overhauled year and a half ago and since then on startup RPM comes up and kind of like starve itself then after a while the rpm stays steady I remember seeing something that needs to be adjusted? Does anyone know what it’s called

What do you mean by starved itself? The oil pressure is low? How low?

Not the oil pressure like the engine ran rough like the oil is cold even on a hot day

Sounds like what's commonly called "morning sickness", caused by a sticking valve.

Without a more accurate description, it’s difficult to provide much input.

From what you’ve written, the symptoms have nothing to do with oil, but rather with a valve or two intermittently sticking during a cold start, aka Lycoming morning sickness. This needs to be looked at by a mechanic.

Without a more accurate description, it’s difficult to provide much input.

From what you’ve written, the symptoms have nothing to do with oil, but rather with a valve or two intermittently sticking during a cold start, aka Lycoming morning sickness. This needs to be looked at by a mechanic.
Engine was all gone through

What’s ridiculous about it other than OP didn’t describe it very well.

I was wondering if he was referring to when you first start a injected engine it runs rough until the fuel system is purged and then the engine runs smooth and idles?

Probably way off…

I was wondering if he was referring to when you first start a injected engine it runs rough until the fuel system is purged and then the engine runs smooth and idles?
Sometimes my (carb'd) engine sounds like it's running on 3 cylinders for a bit, immediately after start, especially in the cold.

Start with basic stuff. OP, do you lean on the ground? Are the plugs fouled with lead or oil? Is the idle mixture set appropriately?

What’s ridiculous about it other than OP didn’t describe it very well.
OP: My engine does something. My description of it is very vague and doesn't even seem to have anything to do with the title.
Responses: Your description is vague, but if this is what you're saying, here's an idea.
OP: "Engine has been gone through."

OK...so per the OP, the engine's exonerated. We don't have a clear description of the symptoms but it's clear they're with the engine. Since OP's established the engine's fine, case closed. Why are we still talking?

Ridiculous.

Back