Oh no, not again. Katamarino's flight to Australia.

Katamarino

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Katamarino
After finally getting the 182 back to the US at the end of June, 2023, I decided to rest for a bit and do a bit of a refurbishment project on the airplane. Apart from a quick jaunt to Bermuda and a couple of trips to California it was pretty quiet.

It spent a month in the avionics shop for a new panel; pretty much the same instruments, but a nice new metal panel for them to sit in.

Before

After

It then spent two months in the paint shop; the previous paint job by Lancaster Aero had been done using shoddy materials, and it seemed that despite what they wrote in the log entry they hadn't even primed it; they'd just sprayed paint onto poorly prepped bare metal. Less than 10 years after painting it was flaking off in large areas and corrosion was forming. It did at least give me an excuse for a snappy new paint job.

Before

After

The universe has a sense of irony and so, while this work was going on, I was offered a new job in Australia that was too good to turn down. Time for another little cross-country.

It then spent two months in the paint shop; the previous paint job by Lancaster Aero had been done using shoddy materials, and it seemed that despite what they wrote in the log entry they hadn't even primed it; they'd just sprayed paint onto poorly prepped bare metal
Surprised to hear this - everyone I talked to said they did great on their plane.

Anyway, the most important question: did you install an inverted fuel and oil system?
You know you'll have to fly upside-down to get there.

Surprised to hear this - everyone I talked to said they did great on their plane.

Anyway, the most important question: did you install an inverted fuel and oil system?
You know you'll have to fly upside-down to get there.
More left rudder!

Having flown over the central Pacific just a year ago, I didn't want to do the same route again. Going west through Alaska and Russia was right out. Looking east, the route north through Greenland would be getting a bit wintery by departure - but the Azores islands looked intriguing. From St John's to Lajes is just 1,200nm, and onwards to Lisbon even shorter at 800nm.

The only complication was that the islands had just stopped stocking AVGAS (seemingly for environmental reasons) - and the timing of their decision meant it was too tight to ship any G100UL there. After weeks of networking I managed to get in touch with board members of the flying club in Lajes who were able to source some suitable fuel.

From Lisbon I would head north to the UK and park the plane up for a couple of months due to work commitments. I will then come back to continue on the second leg; from the UK through Slovenia and North Macedonia to Jordan, onwards through Kuwait and Karachi to Chattogram in Bangladesh, then to Hat Yai in Thailand and finally Johor in Malaysia. After another pause there, I'll finish the route; Johor to Jakarta, Christmas Island, and then Australia. Destination: Perth.

Preparation was a lot easier than last time. We refurbished the ferry tank system, conducted a thorough annual, and I was good to go. Although I updated some of my survival gear (including servicing the life jackets and life raft) most of the equipment stayed the same as the flight around the world.

What line of work are you in? Seems random the places you go. Not being too snoopy but just interested. I live now about 4 miles from where I was born haha so I don't move around too much.

Today was day one of the trip, and it was a pretty straightforward one; Houston TX to Pittsburgh PA via Ann Arbor, MI. On arrival in PA I did an oil change, ready for the next 40+ hours of flying to the UK. The airplane performed well!

Preparing for departure

The lights of Houston

First signs of dawn

Dawn breaks

Solar farms

Detroit airport

Detroit

The Ambassador Bridge

Oil change in PA

The second day of flying was not as smooth and easy as the first, but still wasn't bad! Day 2 brought much more wind (up to 60kt, thankfully from the side and slightly behind), and some cloud and rain showers.

So far:

Distance flown: 1,984 nm
Distance to the UK: 3,470 nm
Hours flown: 15.6

Preparing to depart from Pittsburgh

Sunrise over Pennsylvania

Copilot has now arrived

Crossing New England

Cloud in Maine

Refueling at Houlton International

The Canadian border (that line through the forest)

The bridge to Prince Edward Island

Approaching Charlottetown

Parked up at Charlottetown

The house at Green Gables

Prince Edward Island

I love the paint and the panel!! Just curious, do you have an autopilot?
Take a look at the turn coordinator. That's an S-TEC 30 autopilot. No preselect, but it does have altitude hold and the normal lateral modes, and was a popular retrofit autopilot before Garmin came along and changed the aftermarket autopilot game entirely. We had the model 50 which is pretty much the same thing only not embedded in the turn coordinator on the old club 182, and it was very nice to have.

One thing I don't see is the optional GPSS that can be added to it, which is (or at least was) one of the great bargains of aviation when we added it to our club's 182 ages ago.

Any thoughts about flying through the Middle East, Iranian airspace, etc.?

Any thoughts about flying through the Middle East, Iranian airspace, etc.?
That’s what I was wondering too, but just Iran and their satellite bandits, specifically because of that N tail number.

Fairly certain he's not actually flying through Iraq or Iran airspace and that's just how it's drawn for the map destinations. Kuwait and Saudi Arabia should be fairly straightforward, I assume UAE and Oman are as well.

Fairly certain he's not actually flying through Iraq or Iran airspace and that's just how it's drawn for the map destinations. Kuwait and Saudi Arabia should be fairly straightforward, I assume UAE and Oman are as well.

Correct

Reactions: WDD
You just got that petty paint job, are you planning to add the flags of the new countries you land at?

Back