Nosewheel braking

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I was reading about an airliner from history, and it was mentioned that some early versions had nosewheel braking.
Some of the older guys or history buffs here will recognize. Or google-efficient folks.
Just another thing "I never knew about that" for me.
The short rabbit hole that followed revealed a few other aircraft with NW-braking.

The B727 had nose wheel brakes as an option. IIRC it took 50% of brake pedal travel to activate them.

The B727 had nose wheel brakes as an option. IIRC it took 50% of brake pedal travel to activate them.
Found this.

Originally, all 727's came equipped with nose wheel brakes. The reason being that the airplanes had to operate into LGA (EAL and UAL were the launch customers and they both wanted to fly into LGA) and in 1963 (God, that is a long time ago) it's runways, at that time were veeeeerrrrrrrrrrrry short, if I remember correctly, less than 5,000' (4,600' rings a bell). They didn't even intersect as they do now on the piers that serve as runway extensions at the Northwest end of the airport. So the 727 had to have a very low approach speed (leading edge Krueger Flaps and leading edge slats, plus triple slotted trailing edge flaps were used) and the nose wheel brakes were installed for better than average braking power. These brakes were only activated when you REALLY stood on the brakes, normal braking pressures would not cause these brakes to activate. Since these brakes were rarely used, they would develop a lot more corrosion that the main gear brakes, so when you needed them they might not be working; plus there was a weight penalty that was incurred.
So people started removing the brakes. In the mode of unintended consequences, the anti-skid system was not looked at very closely when the nose gear brakes were removed and all kinds of anti-skid problems happened, until Boeing produced a S/B to remove them. Of course, Boeing likes to get paid for their engineering and many operators tried to shortcut the system by doing it on their own.
Now you get into the battle of whether removing the brakes was a minor or major alteration of the airplane; and did the airline have the proper data and approvals to accomplish the alteration; which, in some cases, got the FAA involved in a regulatory mode.
Nowadays, I think all remaining 727's are flying without nose wheel braking.
As an aside, with it's nose wheel braking; Boeing had proposed a version of the 727 as a COD (Carrier On-board Delivery) airplane. That didn't go far, but I can't tell you the exact reason other than what might be obvious.

Yes, there have been some aircraft with nosewheel braking systems. The Boeing 727, for example, had an optional nosewheel braking system. Additionally, the Convair CV-990 Coronado was another commercial plane equipped with a nose wheel braking system.

Back