New to Foreflight & ipad (and US!) - gps receiver.

heinrich

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Heinrich
Apologies, I'm sure this has come up a lot in the past, but a quick search didn't show anything.

I'm fresh over from Europe and about to do my checkride for switching from UK to FAA PPL. I was hoping to continue using Skydemon (on Android) but their support for maps and airspace seems to not be at the same level as Foreflight. So, I (reluctantly) bought an iPad mini and a basic subscription to Foreflight. I've only now realized the wifi only model doesn't provide GPS info at all. Sharing GPS location using your phone (Android) doesn't seem possible.

From what I can see, a small ADS-B In unit is pretty expensive, so not a realistic option at this stage for me. I guess I'm going to have to look at an external GPS receiver. Can anyone recommend a unit or does it not really matter? Or perhaps there is a way to share GPS location from a phone?

Thanks
H

A 'refurbished' non-current iPad Mini with GPS and lots of memory can be bought for about $300. Sell what you have and buy what you need.

On the subject of ADS-B IN, I suspect that one way or another you'll eventually want to see traffic in Foreflight.

Yeah, adsb in traffic (and weather) on foreflight is an additional level of safety that's worth spending a bit extra for.

A 'refurbished' non-current iPad Mini with GPS and lots of memory can be bought for about $300. Sell what you have and buy what you need.

On the subject of ADS-B IN, I suspect that one way or another you'll eventually want to see traffic in Foreflight.
I bought a refurbished ipad mini wifi only with 256GB storage and it was over $500. Needless to say if I knew about the need for cellular to have gps I'd have gone for that instead. I'm used to Samsung that doesn't have this limitation, lesson learnt...

The issue with going too cheap is you are not far from having a device that's not up to running the latest version of foreflight.

I guess that eventually I'll get myself a portable ADS-B device. But at $400 for the mini Sentry, I'd rather spend that on flying for now. I'm not worried about the checkride, but would rather have the funds handy in case I need to have another go.

I think for now I'll go for a portable GPS. Seems like the most cost effective solution to make full use of foreflight.

Does your airplane’s transponder have ADSB-In? If so, it will provide you traffic, weather, and your GPS location.

If not, you need a separate portable ADSS-In unit like a Stratus 3i.
The 172 I am doing my conversion in has a GNS 530 and I believe that's ADS-B out only.

There is a plug in GPS called Bad Elf that should work with your iPad. Not terribly expensive. But make sure it is compatible. The one I have has the Apple lightning connector.
I have one that connects via blue tooth. It works very well. But it seems to be discontinued (GPS Pro) I think the plug-in models are gone, too. They seem to be replaced by something called "Flex".

If all you want is an external GPS, something like the Garmin Glo 2 for about $100 will work.

I'd buy a used Stratus 2S for $400 or so instead and have ADS-B IN as well as GPS. Once you have ADS-B data on Foreflight you wonder how you flew previously while being so unaware of the traffic around you. The 2S will only work with Foreflight and not other apps, but if that's what you're using that's fine. There is little other difference from the current $749 product. And of course there are other inexpensive ADS-B options, but I like the Stratus.

Last edited:
From what I can see, a small ADS-B In unit is pretty expensive, so not a realistic option at this stage for me.
You have to have an ADSB In source; it’s coming either from the plane’s transponder or a portable ADSB In unit such as a Stratus 3i.

Adding or originally having GPS on your IPad has nothing to do with ADSB -In functionality on your IPad.

Yeah I used ADS-B in/out while flying in the UK and Europe in an aircraft I had a share in. Had it coupled to my Samsung tablet running SkyDemon, and it's brilliant for situational awareness in the UK's crazy busy airspace.

Gurss it's on me that should have checked foreflight and the ipad's limitation of having a buit in GPS receiver as standard. Like I said already this is my first apple device and I'm a litte miffed that it doesn't run on Android. Anyway, I'll get the checkride out of the way and then see what to do. I guess I'll probably keep the current ipad and get Sentry as it has WX, gps receiver and ADSB in.

Thanks for the input everyone

Adding or originally having GPS on your IPad has nothing to do with ADSB -In functionality on your IPad.

In addition to ADS-B, receivers like the Stratus also include a WAAS GPS receiver that provides a better GPS signal relative to the tablet's internal GPS. This also makes having an internal GPS unnecessary, except as a backup, making the OPs iPad Mini functional for use with Foreflight.

I used a Stratux for a short while - my experience is it was too unreliable.

Stratus 2 and Sentry will provide a signal that only ForeFlight can use. Stratus 3i uses the universal code that can be used by ForeFlight as well as others like I Fly.

BTW, I know you've already bought the iPad and Foreflight, but for 55 bucks you can get an Android tablet with GPS
and then load FltPlan_GO for free and you'll be set.

FltPlan_GO isn't as slick as FF, and the UI is a little clunky, but it'll do everything you need. So for a whopping $55 you can be in business with GPS and ADSB-In.

Stratux ADSB provides gps and adsb-in for both bands and weather.

you can get one for $200-ish

Stratux ADSB provides gps and adsb-in for both bands and weather.

you can get one for $200-ish
I see you can build one from a kit. I'll definitely explore that option going forward. Doesn't look like a difficult project.

Another vote for a build-your-own Stratux.

Instead of battery-pack for Stratux, I use a cigarette-lighter USB connector, no battery to keep charged, but need to make sure the planes you use have a lighter or USB power source.

If you have an iPhone, you can use it too for ForeFlight. GPS chip. You can also file flight plans and download (pack) at the hangar/plane from cellular.

As for Foreflight, if you NEVER upgrade the software, an older iPad can work indefinitely. I don’t upgrade the iOS either. Databases, absolutely update those.

I’m running a 10 year old iPad for passenger use, and the original versions of ForeFlight and the iOS. No, I don’t have any of the great whiz-bang updates that the software and operating system upgrades provide, but don’t need ‘em. WX and traffic are all I need.

I have a newer (5 year old) mini, again without updates, and my new phone with all the latest. So 2 iPads and an iPhone.

So 2 iPads and an iPhone
Me too, and what I’ve been doing for a couple of years is running two non-current iPad Mini 5s, each absolutely identical to the other including loaded apps and screen layouts. These cost $600 for both combined, with GPS and max storage, and can as of now load the latest and greatest from Foreflight. If one were to crap out in flight it takes 30 seconds to pull out the spare from my map pocket and switch it onto the fan-cooled mount that I have connected to ships power. I also have a new company provided (free to me) iPhone in my pocket as a second backup, all three running Foreflight and on a trip sharing the same plan. The WAAS GPS signal and ADS-B IN comes from a Stratus 2S that I bought from the manufacturer just after the Stratus 3 came out, marketed as “refurbished” despite being brand new, and costing $500. It also turns on/off and runs on ships power. I like the rugged construction of the Stratus but YMMV. Regardless, my triple redundant VFR avionics suite ;-) with four GPS receivers combined cost me $1300 total including the fan-cooled mount. A fifth GPS receiver is in the GTX335 but it’s not used for ADS-B IN or navigation.

I figure all of the above portables will get tossed and replaced every 5-10 years meaning roughly $200 per year in hardware cost.

Last edited:
Shoulda got Garmin Pilot or iFly instead of ForeFlight. Both are device agnostic, so you can use on your Android phone, which has GPS built in.

But that's not helpful now, sorry. I concur with others suggesting Stratux. However, it is heat sensitive, so I recommend getting remote antenna cables and GPS puck so you can mount the Stratux under the panel in the shade. Zip ties work great for that.

Shoulda got Garmin Pilot or iFly instead of ForeFlight. Both are device agnostic, so you can use on your Android phone, which has GPS built in.

But that's not helpful now, sorry. I concur with others suggesting Stratux. However, it is heat sensitive, so I recommend getting remote antenna cables and GPS puck so you can mount the Stratux under the panel in the shade. Zip ties work great for that.
My stratux CPU is hot- but I cut ventilation holes and it has been running many years now. I leave it on the glareshield, but the opaque case probably captures the sun to a great extent. It's possible I'm running on the edge and I'm just lucky.

I do like I Fly in the plane. But it doesn't matter, as he still needs an ADSB-In source. He hasn't said that the plane's transponder has ADBS-In, so even with an Android device he's still in the same situation of needing a Sratus, Stratux, etc. Besides, ForeFlight is by far the most popular for a reason - it is fairly good at what it does.

I see you can build one from a kit. I'll definitely explore that option going forward. Doesn't look like a difficult project.
The US version of the stratux software is pretty much dead, but the EU version seems to be updated.

If you add a second wifi dongle you can use your phone's hotspot for internet connectivity. not super useful at altitude, but o the ground you can use it to pipe the net to your ipad

I live close to a Bravo, so I have a stratux running all the time just to see whats overhead.

I have a long cable that goes from my cig lighter to the center pedestal (182P) down to the floor, to the rear, under the rear seat and to my Stratux that sits on top of a 6 gallon bucket with a screw on lid. That bucket contains tie-down ropes, chocks, funnel, and other junk, and serves as my step ladder for checking fuel when away from home. Never had an overheating problem with the Stratux. Bucket top is white vs the black (hot) glare shield. Plus I didn’t want clutter up there. Just an idea if anyone wants to try that.

But it doesn't matter, as he still needs an ADSB-In source.
He needs a GPS source. Other posters are telling him he should want an ADS-B source too.
Besides, ForeFlight is by far the most popular for a reason - it is fairly good at what it does.
Since he already has an Android phone, Pilot/iFly/etc would have been a better choice for HIM. He's going to waste a thousand bucks on hardware because someone gave him bad advice based on their own biases.

He needs a GPS source. Other posters are telling him he should want an ADS-B source too.

He doesn’t need a separate GPS source, as any ADSB-In source will give him the GPS data he needs.

Lots of people use non cellular, non internal GPS I pads with Foteflight while flying by connecting to an ASSB-In source.

Even if he had an internal GPS source in his IPad, if he’s not using ADSB In, then no reason I can think of to use any EFB while flying.

The only advantage to having GPS with your I pad is to use out of airplane apps.

Since he already has an Android phone, Pilot/iFly/etc would have been a better choice for HIM. He's going to waste a thousand bucks on hardware because someone gave him bad advice based on their own biases.

Or….. since he already bought ForeFlight and an IPad you could look at making the best of what he’s got. Which is why I see a positive in this however he got here. He’s a ForeFlight user now. Which has a lot of upside, it’s a great EFB, and he’ll get a lot out of it.

Some make the case that buying an I pad just to use ForeFlight is worth it because it’s the standard. Opinions vary.

(And yes, I bought a used I pad just to use ForeFlight. I also have an Android tablet for I Fly. Over achiever or gadget addicted - take your choice LOL).

if he’s not using ADSB In, then no reason I can think of to use any EFB while flying.

Navigation and related data like ground speed, time to waypoints, etc. do not require ADSB. Also functions like NRST or glide rings or just retrieving airport info like frequencies and diagrams. ADSB provides traffic and weather, which aren’t the only reasons to use an EFB.

Navigation and related data like ground speed, time to waypoints, etc. doe not require ADSB. Also functions like NRST or glide rings or just retrieving airport info like frequencies and diagrams. ADSB provides traffic and weather, which aren’t the only reasons to use an EFB.
Good points. IMHO then, without ADSB In there is “little” / not really worth it benefit to use an EFB in an airplane without ADSB In. My opinion is “why would you bother with ForeFlight while flying without ADSB In”.

My opinion is “why would you bother with ForeFlight while flying without ADSB In”.

I wouldn’t. I would use iFly. :) And I’d want it for nav, airport data, etc., as mentioned above.

When I first began renting planes, the ADSB mandate hadn’t hit yet and the planes weren’t equipped. I still used GPS.

In a plane without glass, how would you use GPS other than on an EFB?

Apologies, I'm sure this has come up a lot in the past, but a quick search didn't show anything.

I'm fresh over from Europe and about to do my checkride for switching from UK to FAA PPL. I was hoping to continue using Skydemon (on Android) but their support for maps and airspace seems to not be at the same level as Foreflight. So, I (reluctantly) bought an iPad mini and a basic subscription to Foreflight. I've only now realized the wifi only model doesn't provide GPS info at all. Sharing GPS location using your phone (Android) doesn't seem possible.

From what I can see, a small ADS-B In unit is pretty expensive, so not a realistic option at this stage for me. I guess I'm going to have to look at an external GPS receiver. Can anyone recommend a unit or does it not really matter? Or perhaps there is a way to share GPS location from a phone?

Thanks
H
Before you do anything, determine if the transponder in the aircraft you will be flying has Bluetooth or WiFi. Such as the L3 Lynx 9000 orGarmin 345.

Reactions: WDD
Good points. IMHO then, without ADSB In there is “little” / not really worth it benefit to use an EFB in an airplane without ADSB In. My opinion is “why would you bother with ForeFlight while flying without ADSB In”.

So if you have an engine failure, you immediately know the location and distance of the nearest grass airstrip.

Ask me how I know.

Maybe because you want current aeronautical products available any where there is WIFI vs ordering via mail or hoping against all odds an airport has them.

If you are using an IPad as your primary traffic avoidance method, you better get your eyes out of the cockpit. All aircraft don’t have transponders and don’t show up on a IPad.

Reactions: WDD
Yep - Got to first keep your eyes looking. But it’s the plane you can’t see that ADSB In alerts you to that is just as problematic as what you can see.

Yep - Got to first keep your eyes looking. But it’s the plane you can’t see that ADSB In alerts you to that is just as problematic as what you can see.
VFR traffic advisories are still available from ATC.

Back