New to Foreflight & ipad (and US!) - gps receiver.

Good points. IMHO then, without ADSB In there is “little” / not really worth it benefit to use an EFB in an airplane without ADSB
Um, paper charts died a year or two ago. The easiest way to have current charts is via an EFB. You could ironman it and download the TIFF files of the charts that that FAA publishes.... but why?

The first company to release an IFR certified tablet to replace the panel mount GPS will win all the money. RIght now (if you believe them) the reason is that tablet OBS is not sensitive enough on an ipad.... yet the screen resolution of an ipad is much higher than any panel mount GPS. The real reason is that the Garmin ecosystem has millions of dollars invested into hardware and to throw that away for a $500 (or even $1000) tablet would be financial disaster for the company. A brand new $20k GPS has a laughably bad warranty for an obscenely short time. I'd like to see the repair revenue they generate.

Um, paper charts died a year or two ago. The easiest way to have current charts is via an EFB. You could ironman it and download the TIFF files of the charts that that FAA publishes.... but why?

The first company to release an IFR certified tablet to replace the panel mount GPS will win all the money. RIght now (if you believe them) the reason is that tablet OBS is not sensitive enough on an ipad.... yet the screen resolution of an ipad is much higher than any panel mount GPS. The real reason is that the Garmin ecosystem has millions of dollars invested into hardware and to throw that away for a $500 (or even $1000) tablet would be financial disaster for the company. A brand new $20k GPS has a laughably bad warranty for an obscenely short time. I'd like to see the repair revenue they generate.
Connect it to an external antenna, and it would be OK in my opinion. I've seen some odd positions from GPS devices with the antenna inside the vehicle. I suppose the signal bounces around inside before being received affecting the reception time. I've seen variations of as much as a mile.

Back