New I-Pad coming?

Get those babies ready, Scott.

The event starts in 3 minutes.

And, it's done.

iPad 2 ships a week from Friday (March 11th). Here's what's new:

* Front (VGA) and rear (720p) facing cameras
* New A5 dual-core processor - 2x CPU speed, 9x graphics speed of "iPad 1"
* 1/3 Thinner - Actually thinner than iPhone 4.
* A few ounces lighter - Now weighs "1.3 pounds"
* Gyroscope built in, in addition to the existing accelerometer.
* 3G works on either AT&T or Verizon (NOT both, from what I can tell)
* Available HDMI output "dongle" that will mirror the screen with ANY app
* And, a spiffy cover that attaches magnetically - and when you open it up, the iPad wakes up, close it and the iPad sleeps. It also folds into a stand.

What's still the same:
* Same prices & storage configs
* Same 10-hour battery life

http://www.apple.com/ipad/

And, it's done.

* Front (VGA) and rear (720p) facing cameras
* New A5 dual-core processor - 2x CPU speed, 9x graphics speed of "iPad 1"
* 1/3 Thinner - Actually thinner than iPhone 4.
* A few ounces lighter - Now weighs "1.3 pounds"
* Gyroscope built in, in addition to the existing accelerometer.
* 3G works on either AT&T or Verizon (NOT both, from what I can tell)
* Available HDMI output "dongle" that will mirror the screen with ANY app
* And, a spiffy cover that attaches magnetically - and when you open it up, the iPad wakes up, close it and the iPad sleeps. It also folds into a stand.

What's still the same:
* Same prices & storage configs
* Same 10-hour battery life

I could not see how to order until the 11th.

I have a $800 Apple gift card sitting at home and it is going towards a 64Gb AT&T 3G iPad2 as soon as I can place the order.

I have a $800 Apple gift card sitting at home and it is going towards a 64Gb AT&T 3G iPad2 as soon as I can place the order.

Welcome to the cult. Or at least that's what everyone else calls us. We just enjoy our toys and laugh. :)

Yeah, it's odd. They're not accepting pre-orders for this like they've done for other things in the past.

Hey, EVERYBODY! Scott will be bringing the WiFi net access! :thumbsup:

Yeah, it's odd. They're not accepting pre-orders for this like they've done for other things in the past.

What? D'ya think yer special? Go line up outside your Apple Store like yer supposta!

Is there any difference in the screen glare? I thought the screen would have better daylight reading in the new model.

Hah, yourself! 300 Bps was FAST, 1200 was screamin...

My first online experience was with a model 33 teletype/paper tape reader-punch connected with a 110 bps modem to a "mainframe" at the local community college. I was in high school (this was in the late 60's) and taught myself to program in Basic with that setup.

Same setup we had in high school, except the language of choice was FORTRAN. :D And the "mainframe" was a mainframe - IBM 360/67.

Same setup we had in high school, except the language of choice was FORTRAN. :D And the "mainframe" was a mainframe - IBM 360/67.
When I was in high school, the computer was an IBM 7094, and the language was MAD (Michigan Algorithm Decoder, developed for IBM by the University of Michigan). Didn't get to a Model 360 and FORTRAN until college.

And, it's done.

Kent,
I see you are in line for it already!

attachment.php

Attachments

• IPAD-2-LINE.jpg
    IPAD-2-LINE.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 77
Kent,
I see you are in line for it already!

attachment.php

Wow... Someone's determined to be first! Which store is that?

BTW, The iPad is the only thing I've ever waited in line for - And then, only for about 20 minutes. I got the 2nd-to-last 64GB iPad 3G - At Best Buy. Haven't ever waited in line at an Apple Store.

TI Silent 700 portable printing terminal. It was the Hot Setup.

Piles and piles and piles of thermal paper, all over the floor...

Is there any advantage whatsoever to buying it at the Apple Store?

There is one a block from my office, but no idea if Friday will be a madhouse (I expect yes). Should I just go to Best Buy?

BTW, The iPad is the only thing I've ever waited in line for - And then, only for about 20 minutes. I got the 2nd-to-last 64GB iPad 3G - At Best Buy. Haven't ever waited in line at an Apple Store.
I think it was in Austin, TX.

I am going to mail order mine. Much nicer than waiting in line.

There is one a block from my office, but no idea if Friday will be a madhouse (I expect yes). Should I just go to Best Buy?

Really? You're not willing to walk one block for Steve Jobs???!?!? :rofl:

Yes, I would go to Best Buy. Everyone's going to be at the Apple Store. When the iPad+3G shipped, the Apple Store had lines for hours and some people walked away empty-handed - I went to the Best Buy that's right across the parking lot from the Apple Store, got there 20 minutes before official launch time, got the model I wanted by 5:15 and after the line was completely gone they still had several left over.

The advantage to the Apple Store is be cheered and high-fived and smile for the cameras.

NEVER go to Best Buy!

They mentioned on Macbreak that AT&T and Verizon stores will have it, too - if you want the 3G versions.

I think it was in Austin, TX.

Or Dallas? They talked about it on Macbreak that there is exactly one guy who pitched a tent at exactly one Apple store and all of the news operations are showing the same picture. "He's just a squatter!"

Yes, I would go to Best Buy. Everyone's going to be at the Apple Store. When the iPad+3G shipped, the Apple Store had lines for hours and some people walked away empty-handed - I went to the Best Buy that's right across the parking lot from the Apple Store, got there 20 minutes before official launch time, got the model I wanted by 5:15 and after the line was completely gone they still had several left over.
I can only go to the Apple store or online for this item. I was given a $800 Apple gift card in December to buy an iPad2 when they came out. I am still leaning towards just ordering it online, but I'm also toying with the idea of going to the store.

Or Dallas? They talked about it on Macbreak that there is exactly one guy who pitched a tent at exactly one Apple store and all of the news operations are showing the same picture. "He's just a squatter!"
I wonder if it is a fake squatter just to get media attention for Apple? Sort of like how they have those fake phone callers into Hannity's radio show.

I can only go to the Apple store or online for this item. I was given a $800 Apple gift card in December to buy an iPad2 when they came out. I am still leaning towards just ordering it online, but I'm also toying with the idea of going to the store.

Hey, it might be fun... I'd kind of like to do the in-line-at-the-Apple-Store thing someday. At the summer iPhone launches they usually are handing out water and such, and making it into kind of a festive atmosphere. All part of the user experience, ya know...

Love the avatar, BTW... "Push here to turn on"? ;) Where'd ya find it?

Not a squatter nor a plant, it's this guy:

http://www.ijustinofficial.com/Site/Welcome.html

Details at macrumors, where he's getting pretty savaged in the comments. He also camped out for the iPhone 4.

I much prefer iJustine, who rose to (Internet) fame after receiving a 300-page bill from AT&T when the iPhone first came out.

Well, if you're up at 3AM your time tomorrow, you'll be able to order it online:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/03/10ipad.html
CUPERTINO, California—March 10, 2011—Apple® today announced that iPad™ 2, the next generation of its magical device for browsing the web, reading and sending email, enjoying photos, watching videos, listening to music, playing games, reading ebooks and much more, will be available tomorrow at 5 p.m. local time at all 236 Apple retail stores in the US and through the Apple Store® (www.apple.com) beginning at 1 a.m. PT.

Well, if you're up at 3AM your time tomorrow, you'll be able to order it online:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/03/10ipad.html
CUPERTINO, California—March 10, 2011—Apple® today announced that iPad™ 2, the next generation of its magical device for browsing the web, reading and sending email, enjoying photos, watching videos, listening to music, playing games, reading ebooks and much more, will be available tomorrow at 5 p.m. local time at all 236 Apple retail stores in the US and through the Apple Store® (www.apple.com) beginning at 1 a.m. PT.
Up in the middle of the night US time. That would be so unlike me.

Back