New Corvette - Like or Not?

FormerHangie

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FormerHangie
Gary F posted this on another thread:
I like the area so much I hope to move there in a couple of years. I'll drive from distillery to distillery in my shiny new Corvette. I'm not thrilled with the newest design but gotta support the local economy.

What do you think of the new Corvette? I saw one at Road Atlanta at last fall's Petit LeMans and I think it looks great. I know there are some 'Vette fans that don't much like it, but I think it's just what was needed. I think we're seeing a change in the design language and if Chevrolet had done something evolutionary, I think it would look rather old in a couple of years. I saw a C5 parked not too far from the new car, and the new one makes the C5 look kind of soft and feminine.

When I first became interested in racing in the early 70's, I remember seeing Peter Gregg's Porsche Carrera RSR regularly beating John Greenwood's Corvette, even though the Porsche was giving up something like 270 cubic inches. From then on, I really had no respect for Corvettes. I'm feeling much better about them now.

I think the Sixth generation C6 was the was the best.

If I had the money I'd buy one. They're really quite a value since they deliver about 90% of super car performance for around 25% of super car price.

But I don't have the money, so I guess I don't have to worry about it. I can outrun the things on my bike anyway.

Bang for the buck I liked the C6 z06 the most, 7 liters to play with makes a great platform for a couple of turbo's. You know, for driving in the mountains...

As a C6 Z06 owner I don't like them :( the value of mine just dropped about 20K.
On the corvette forum one of the dealers has a new 2014 Z06 is listed for 25k under MSRP.
They are good looking vettes and hope to have one someday.

I generally don't get on the vette bandwagon, I liked C2's in particular a lot and pretty much all vettes till they eliminated chrome and turned into barbie cars... but since '97 they have been getting better again. C6's kick ass... on the C7, I don't like the taillights, and it borders on GT-R styling....

It will grow on me though, I already like the R version a LOT...

Corvette-C7R-1.jpg

True, but if we get a choice as to what's being given away, I'll pick this:

1959-red-convertible-corvette.jpg

Old cars are great to look at, but the truth is the average Accord 4-banger is a better driving car than these old ones. I've owned vintage cars before, but sold them off. I like driving too much, and new cars drive so much better than old ones.

Old cars are great to look at, but the truth is the average Accord 4-banger is a better driving car than these old ones. I've owned vintage cars before, but sold them off. I like driving too much, and new cars drive so much better than old ones.

I was going to say the same thing. As a collectable, no doubt that's the one to pick. But as a driving machine, I'll take one of the new ones!

Why not take that old 60's vette do not change a thing on the body and drop it on the chassis of the new vette. Now that would be a ride I would enjoy.

Tony

I think it would be cool to be able to buy a new 67 stingray with all the goodies of today in it right off the show room floor. But the body of a 67 and not a thing changed. But open the hood or look under it and its a 2014. Now I would drool over that.

Tony

I think I like the new C7, but I reserve judgement until I see one up close in person. I like most of what I see in the pictures, but I have only seen one on the road for a fleeting moment as it drove past the opposite way.

I have to say that the new C7 is not all I'd hoped it would be, but it's still pretty good. I can't think of a new sports car I'd rather have at the moment.

I was going to say the same thing. As a collectable, no doubt that's the one to pick. But as a driving machine, I'll take one of the new ones!

Add me to that list. I like driving much more than I like tinkering, and the new ones drive better. Both a Focus ST and a GTI will spank nearly all of the muscle cars from the 60's and 70's, and will do so with day to day reliability.

You can make old cars drive and handle VERY good if you put in some time and money to find out what works best. My '68 mustang hangs pretty good with some "modern" bmw's and porsches on autocross.

Hell, it currently outhandles my '07 shelby gt.

No a/c or heat, but those were choices for my application and there are plenty of choices to put modern drivetrains in vintage cars.

The bigger "compromise" IMO is simply the safety of modern cars can't be replicated in any vintage vehicle.

You can make old cars drive and handle VERY good if you put in some time and money to find out what works best. My '68 mustang hangs pretty good with some "modern" bmw's and porsches on autocross.

Hell, it currently outhandles my '07 shelby gt.

No a/c or heat, but those were choices for my application and there are plenty of choices to put modern drivetrains in vintage cars.

The bigger "compromise" IMO is simply the safety of modern cars can't be replicated in any vintage vehicle.

I've noticed that in the televised car auctions these days, the "restomods" quite often bring more money than do all original versions of the same car. There are a few perfect numbers-matching all original cars that do bring in strong money, but they are the exception.

That was evil to kill that '59 to prove virtually nothing of value.

I have owned a 66, 71 and 74, all big block cars. The 2014 is the only Vett that has sparked my interest in owning another one.

I agree. But there are a lot of folks out there who think the old tanks are safer because they are heavier and made of more metal.

Yes, but anyone driving a '59 Impala is doing so regardless of safety in 2014, these cars are of an age that you aren't getting people buying them because they are cheap transportation anymore, they are costly to restore and it's just worthless to crash it to prove a new(er) malibu is safer.

Oh well, enough off topic I suppose!

True, but if we get a choice as to what's being given away, I'll pick this:

1959-red-convertible-corvette.jpg
Yup, that's the one I always wanted. Of course my Dad was selling Chevys back then and I got to sit in them at the dealership going zoom-zoom! Heartbroken when I turned 16 and got my license Dad handed me the keys to a Ford Falcon stationwagon that he picked up in trade. A WAGON for cryin' out loud.....and white, too. Only saving grace the red interior.

I'll take a '63 split window with lake pipes, please.
I'd post a pic, but probably don't have to with this group.

Didn't like the C6, definitely don't like the C7.

There's not a lot of market interest in sedans of that era. In the Chevy range, the market for '55 - '57 cars is still strong, but the interest for '59s isn't there. The car that was crashed was a decent "driver" and was bought for around $8500. http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/18/more-details-about-1959-bel-air-crash-test/. Most collectors who want a '59 Chevy would go for the convertibles.

I've noticed that with collector cars there seems to be a cycle for most of them, and it's determined by the age of the car. I assume that's because most buyers of old cars are doing so out of nostalgia, and they tend to favor cars they remember from their youth. I suspect most of the guys who want a '59 either have one, have had one, or are slowing down a bit and won't bother to get one. If you look at the muscle car market, it's off what it was a few years ago. The serious collectors seem to be going in another direction, and the nostalgia buyers seem to mostly have what they want.

Of course, there are some cars that are great classics and will always be valuable, but they're the exception. At some point most of these old cars won't be worth what it would cost to do any serious repairs and will get parted out. Go to Hemmings Motor News and look at what a decent Ford Model T or Model A goes for. For the common cars in average condition, it's not much.

I love the new 'Vette. It is an amazing value, IMHO.

Just spent 8 hours at the Barrett-Jackson event in Scottsdale... OMG. Bidder or not, that is one crazy car event. Vettes of every age and type (150?). Planes, too, but they're the private jets flying in overhead, bringing in the rich folks. They did have a nice Cessna TTx on display, along with a fully restored L-19 Bird Dog.

Sounds like fun, sort of like going to a car museum where everything is for sale. I'd like to go, but definitely would leave the checkbook at home!

I love the new 'Vette. It is an amazing value, IMHO.

And it actually gets pretty good highway mileage. GM is proud of both the power and economy of the Corvette. I'd like to own one someday.

Like many vehicles, I think they get worse looking with each new version. Hope the next one doesn't have square wheel wells like the silverado.

I didn't like it in pictures and now that I've seen a few up close and personal all I can say is it is one really butt ugly car...
I'll keep my C6Z's thank you!

I realize beauty is in the eyes of the beholder but Chevy better start ads targeting the visually impaired...:mad2:

Chris ('66,'68,'72,'90,'94,'01 plus the current '07 and '09)

Like the C7, like flying better,can buy a lot of gas for the price of the C7.

Corvettes? Is everyone here fat and bald?

I just traded my daddy's '68 Vette for a dock at the lake house (Floating docks are EX-PEN-SIVE. Do not understand cars. The corvette has no redeeming qualities, gas guzzler, doesn't haul ****, seats 2, expensive, speed limit is 75 or below. My 2001 Civic is cheap, good on gas, hauls everything i need to the airport, carries 4 and will do the speed limit.

I just traded my daddy's '68 Vette for a dock at the lake house (Floating docks are EX-PEN-SIVE. Do not understand cars. The corvette has no redeeming qualities, gas guzzler, doesn't haul ****, seats 2, expensive, speed limit is 75 or below. My 2001 Civic is cheap, good on gas, hauls everything i need to the airport, carries 4 and will do the speed limit.

Oh I get it. Looks sexy, can corner even faster than my midship roundabout. Like I said, you get about 90% of the performance of cars that sound like pasta dishes and cost more than a luxury mansion (though not more than a new aircraft!).

If I had than kind of cash I'd run out and buy one, or I'd have owned one all along. I'd love a super car. Yeah, speed limits are low, but everyone drives fast and its nice to have a car that'll get away.

Sounds smart to me. Quality time at the lake is more valuable then stuff that owns you.

35-40mpg on the highway is a gas guzzler? Oooooooooook.

Back