New Corvette - Like or Not?

Corvettes? Is everyone here fat and bald?

Not fat and bald, middle aged with a combover. :rofl:

Seriously, I don't have any desire to own a Corvette, I was just wondering what other folks thought of it, as it seems to be kind of galvanizing among Corvette fans.

All the current high performance cars tend to be more than you need for the street anyway. Car and Driver recently published an article suggesting anything more than a Focus ST or GTI was more than anyone could actually use: http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2015-volkswagen-gti-vs-2013-ford-focus-st-comparison-test. Road and Track recently did a performance car shootout. The Corvette won, but in second place was the Ford Fiesta ST, and R&T suggested if the name of the magazine was just "Road", that the Fiesta would have won. There's no real need to buy an expensive performance car for road use, their limits are so high that something less is more than enough.

I just traded my daddy's '68 Vette for a dock at the lake house (Floating docks are EX-PEN-SIVE. Do not understand cars. The corvette has no redeeming qualities, gas guzzler, doesn't haul ****, seats 2, expensive, speed limit is 75 or below. My 2001 Civic is cheap, good on gas, hauls everything i need to the airport, carries 4 and will do the speed limit.
I get 21 city and 30 highway in my '93 Corvette. It did much better than the 16/20 my '93 Bonneville got and my 13/16 '05 Tahoe gets. Certainly the older ones did worse on mileage but then, most anything from the '60s did. Gas was cheap ($.20 a gallon).

Old cars are great to look at, but the truth is the average Accord 4-banger is a better driving car than these old ones. I've owned vintage cars before, but sold them off. I like driving too much, and new cars drive so much better than old ones.

My daughter's 4 cylinder Hyundai would run circles around the first vettes, but man, the older cars look sweet. If I could pick, I'd prefer the second generation vettes. The new one was kinda fugly, but it is growing on me. I read the article about the C7 Z06 that is getting ready to debut. :eek:

Why not take that old 60's vette do not change a thing on the body and drop it on the chassis of the new vette. Now that would be a ride I would enjoy.

Tony

There is a company in LA that will exactly that for you. They're called N2A Motors. N2A stands for No 2 Alike. They take a Corvette C6 and strip away the body and the interior and build either one of two models they have so far custom to your specs-

The 789

4.jpg

2.jpg

A mash up of the '57, '58, '59 Chevrolet. They can do it in a hard top too.

The Anteros-

6.jpg

4.jpg

When I spoke to them at the 2010 LA Auto Show, they said it was about $125,000 to get one of these. It all depends on how much custom you want. Chevrolet still honors the warranty on the mechanicals.

I think it would be cool to be able to buy a new 67 stingray with all the goodies of today in it right off the show room floor. But the body of a 67 and not a thing changed. But open the hood or look under it and its a 2014. Now I would drool over that.

Tony

This is exactly what N2A Motors is working on next.

The Stinger-

68d3a9dc9f33acdd9537359b37f6c561.JPG

ff804f3827215cf65cdf2d5b96acf5d5.JPG

I imagine that since this one has yet to be a reality, they are likely working to engineer it to the new C7 platform.

those "modern" versions don't do much for me personally...

I just traded my daddy's '68 Vette for a dock at the lake house (Floating docks are EX-PEN-SIVE. Do not understand cars. The corvette has no redeeming qualities, gas guzzler, doesn't haul ****, seats 2, expensive, speed limit is 75 or below. My 2001 Civic is cheap, good on gas, hauls everything i need to the airport, carries 4 and will do the speed limit.

No. You don't understand cars. This is true. You will get more use out of the dock.

I have a mint condition C5 Z06 that lives in the garage under a cover during the work week. I love driving it on the weekends when the weather is nice and for taking road trips.

I really like the new C7 Z06's and would enjoy driving one. The real truth is I am happy with my current C5 and would rather put the money into an airplane upgrade instead of a Corvette upgrade.

Even though Vette's are expensive, relative to other sports cars they are a bargain, especially when you consider how well they compete with cars that cost 2 to 5 times as much.

Love the Vettes, but at 6ft 7, I don't fit well. I have a 66 911 in the garage that is a fun car, but my motorcycle is more fun with less work.

35-40mpg on the highway is a gas guzzler? Oooooooooook.

No kidding. The recent 'Vettes are flat amazing in how fuel-efficient they can be.

It doesn't need any redeeming qualities, its worth a ton on money just sitting there.

I've had plenty of sports cars, and it's not about top speed, or 0-60 acceleration. It's about driving enjoyment. Your avatar shows a Bonanza. Wonderful flying qualities. If you have ever flown a Cessna 206, which is a very good airplane, you know how different they fly. The 206 does the job, but the Bonanza puts a smile on your face with its nimble control feel.

If I need to drive from point A to point B, I could be bored to tears doing it in a Toyota, or I could jump in my sports car and drive it as having my own personal roller coaster wherever I go.

A car with great driving dynamics makes the drive more fun than the destination. If I'm going to drive, why not have a ball in the process?

People I know are selling off their sports cars and fast bikes because driving them at the speed limit(or close enough to avoid legal trouble) is soul crushing. Just too painful to operate something at such a low % of the available performance. Better for the soul to thrash a Toyota then baby a sports car.
I've had plenty of sports cars, and it's not about top speed, or 0-60 acceleration. It's about driving enjoyment. Your avatar shows a Bonanza. Wonderful flying qualities. If you have ever flown a Cessna 206, which is a very good airplane, you know how different they fly. The 206 does the job, but the Bonanza puts a smile on your face with its nimble control feel.

If I need to drive from point A to point B, I could be bored to tears doing it in a Toyota, or I could jump in my sports car and drive it as having my own personal roller coaster wherever I go.

A car with great driving dynamics makes the drive more fun than the destination. If I'm going to drive, why not have a ball in the process?

Better for the soul to thrash a Toyota then baby a sports car.

There is a good bit of truth to that. One of the most entertaining cars I owned was a 1984 VW Jetta Wolfsburg that I bought used in the early 90's. That car produced 72 fierce horsepower new, and this car had 225kmi on the original engine. So, needless to say it wasn't fast in a straight line.

It did have a full Neuspeed suspension, upgraded Brembo brakes, a Techtonics cat back exhaust, and nice BBS wheels and sticky Dunlop tires.

I could slay supposed sport cars on the backroads yet was beat by soccer moms in minivans at red lights. I drove that car flat out nearly all the time.

Two modes: WFO or full brakes, not much in between.

One of the most fun bikes I ever owned was the Suzuki SV-650, a spectacularly overachieving middleweight bike that you could flog hard.

I like the idea of using the new chassis, engine, etc, then lowering a 1965 convertible onto it. I saw one recently, silver grey, red interior, white top. It was in like new condition, beautiful. I sold a 2007 911 Carrera S about a year ago. Always wanted one. So....it was very fast, drove well, and well built but expensive to keep. I had bought it with 14000 miles from a dealer. After a trip thru Canada, New York State, local driving, I realized that to drive it well I needed to go to a driving course. I also realized that on current roads, traffic, etc. I could get some serious tickets driving it as I wanted to. Sold it and got top dollar as it only had 28,000 on it and was like new. I then bought a prius v which I like a lot but still long for a 65 vet convertible like the one I saw.

People I know are selling off their sports cars and fast bikes because driving them at the speed limit(or close enough to avoid legal trouble) is soul crushing. Just too painful to operate something at such a low % of the available performance. Better for the soul to thrash a Toyota then baby a sports car.

One of my favorite cars is an early Mazda Miata. 1.6 litre engine that revs easily to 7000 rpm, but still isn't very fast. Rear-wheel-drive, perfect 50/50 weight distribution, double wishbone suspension on all four corners. An absolute hoot!

I've also spent plenty of time driving on the track, Autocrossing, lapping days, and road racing with the SCCA. I used to belong to three different car clubs, to maximize track time.

After going through Turn 1 at 140 mph, there is no thrill in speeding on the interstate.
It's not about top speed.

For street driving, I still much prefer a great handling sports car over a mere appliance.

Maybe its because I live in a semi-rural area with some great, twisty, hilly roads with minimal traffic......

I think the people you know are idiots. I can use about 10% of what my bike can do, but that's fine. It gets me out of jams constantly with room to spare. And my little convertible is just a blast to drive. If all someone is worried about is the top end there are plenty of dog cars with big engines that should float their boat.

There is a good bit of truth to that. One of the most entertaining cars I owned was a 1984 VW Jetta Wolfsburg that I bought used in the early 90's. That car produced 72 fierce horsepower new, and this car had 225kmi on the original engine. So, needless to say it wasn't fast in a straight line.

It did have a full Neuspeed suspension, upgraded Brembo brakes, a Techtonics cat back exhaust, and nice BBS wheels and sticky Dunlop tires.

I could slay supposed sport cars on the backroads yet was beat by soccer moms in minivans at red lights. I drove that car flat out nearly all the time.

Two modes: WFO or full brakes, not much in between.

One of the most fun bikes I ever owned was the Suzuki SV-650, a spectacularly overachieving middleweight bike that you could flog hard.

I had a Honda Fit. It's slow, but really fun to rev up and drive hard.

More fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

I think the people you know are idiots. I can use about 10% of what my bike can do, but that's fine. It gets me out of jams constantly with room to spare. And my little convertible is just a blast to drive. If all someone is worried about is the top end there are plenty of dog cars with big engines that should float their boat.

What you want is a car that is responsive and handles well, but that has limits that you can approach in your daily driving. One of the knocks on the Porsche Cayman is that its limits are so high that it makes even interesting roads kind of dull.

What you want is a car that is responsive and handles well, but that has limits that you can approach in your daily driving. One of the knocks on the Porsche Cayman is that its limits are so high that it makes even interesting roads kind of dull.

I think the same could be said about most German super sedans today, or modern sports cars in general. Heck, my 1990 M3 (with 3.2L I6 M motor transplant, full on track suspension, etc) is so far below its capabilities that I almost feel bad just driving the thing to and from work.....my longest commute ever is about 3 miles. I'm pretty sure it is dying a slow and painful death by not ever being taken above 3k rpm or 55 mph. Poor old girl

The Cayman is one of my favorite cars to drive. Absolutely wonderful.

Yes, the limits are very high, but oh so much fun to go around corners steering with the throttle only, with the tail hanging out. Get into the territory where the 911 wants to swap ends, and the Cayman simply obeys.

Twenty minutes with a Cayman, and you'll never want front-wheel-drive again.
Actually, I've never wanted front wheel drive.....

Hey, 35 AoA, I think it's time to take that M3 to an autocross or track day and let it find the rev limiter.

Last edited:
Front wheel drive is cheaper to build which is why it exists . Not many race cars have it do they? In snow they are deadly compared to rear wheel drive. The 911 is a great car on any road and with good tires you really have to screw up to have it swap ends. It's the only porsche I would buy or was ever interested in.

You know goofy people. I suppose there probably are people out there that buy performance cars and have no idea how to use it. You can have fun in the streets and not collect tickets. Acceleration and cornering can be fun without breaking speed limits. The key to spirited driving is judgement and moderation. Not racing.

People I know are selling off their sports cars and fast bikes because driving them at the speed limit(or close enough to avoid legal trouble) is soul crushing.
Then there are those other people (that you don't know) who are buying those cars that the people you know are selling. :wink2:

You know goofy people. I suppose there probably are people out there that buy performance cars and have no idea how to use it. You can have fun in the streets and not collect tickets. Acceleration and cornering can be fun without breaking speed limits. The key to spirited driving is judgement and moderation. Not racing.
BS. People are just getting their egos off on potential they will never use, which is sad. Similar to tailwheel pilots. If you have self realization it is soul crushing. Would you still fly airplanes if you had to fly at 20% of cruise speed?

More fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

Rubbish. Flogging an economy car is kind of... sad. Particularly for the car. Fast car slow. What is slow? There is plenty of fun to be had within the speed limits. It's more about using the steering wheel, brake pedal and gear shift than it is just about trodding down on the gas pedal and watching the speedometer needle climb.

I'm pretty sure it is dying a slow and painful death by not ever being taken above 3k rpm or 55 mph. Poor old girl

Try using the gear box. Don't just drive on "automatic". How fast will it go in 2nd gear? A lot of fun can be had under 55mph. This is why performance cars should never be sold with automatic transmissions.

Front wheel drive is cheaper to build which is why it exists . Not many race cars have it do they? In snow they are deadly compared to rear wheel drive. The 911 is a great car on any road and with good tires you really have to screw up to have it swap ends. It's the only porsche I would buy or was ever interested in.

What are you talking about? Are race cars better in the snow, or are race cars front wheel drive, or... what? :confused:

BS. People are just getting their egos off on potential they will never use, which is sad. Similar to tailwheel pilots. If you have self realization it is soul crushing. Would you still fly airplanes if you had to fly at 20% of cruise speed?

I think you are painting with a pretty broad brush. I agree that a Bugatti Veron buyer is just getting their ego off. The surplus of HP is ridiculous. There are many other cars also being sold with high HP rating for bragging rights. Great performance cars are not just about HP and 0-60 times. If you buy the right performance car, braking distance and skid pad numbers are of equal or greater importance.

The airplane analogy doesn't hold up. Airplanes are about traveling. I would buy a fast airplane to get to my destination quicker, not an adrenaline rush. Also in the airplane world, a fast airplane can be flown slowly and then realize great efficiency. In cars this is not so much the case.

Try using the gear box. Don't just drive on "automatic". How fast will it go in 2nd gear? A lot of fun can be had under 55mph. This is why performance cars should never be sold with automatic transmissions.

I'm not sure if you are referring to DSG or something of the like, but mine is full up manual, with an absolutely brutal clutch as well. Trust me, I use the gearbox heavily, even just driving 2 miles to work. The problem is that I don't tend to like being the guy screaming past you in a 35-45 mph zone at 5k rpm for no reason. If I drive it hard, I go for a drive somewhere that makes sense. I just don't have time to do that much, which is a shame.....all I was saying

What are you talking about? Are race cars better in the snow, or are race cars front wheel drive, or... what? :confused:

I'm talking about control, especially in cornering, in snow, on dry roads, anywhere. Did you just start driving!? No question that rear wheel drive cars are much easier to control in any situation. That's why front wheel drive cars do NOT show up in serious competition.

Last edited:
I'm talking about control, especially in cornering, in snow, on dry roads, anywhere. Did you just start driving!? No question that rear wheel drive cars are much easier to control in any situation. That's why front wheel drive cars do NOT show up in serious competition.
Are you saying that rear wheel drive cars are better than from wheel drive in snow?

Are you saying that rear wheel drive cars are better than from wheel drive in snow?

That's what I'm wondering too? I have very limited (thankfully) experience driving in snow, so I can't comment that much about snow, but everything I have ever read on the subject has always said that front wheel drive was much safer for the average Joe in the snow. The physics of it seem to suggest that as well.

Lmao @ jimmy...

When I couldn't get over the hill that was iced over in my 400hp tundra rwd... A pos front wheel driven car slowly climbed the hill.... I was jealous.

Born in western NYS, very adept at driving in snow.....including heavy snow. Much easier to control skids, better traction in rear wheel drive cars or trucks. This is why, of course, race cars always use rear wheel drive. Also a reason why German designed cars still have drive shafts, due to snow, even though they're more expensive to build. Front wheel drive was sold as being "safer" which is total BS. They are simply much cheaper to build.

Born in western NYS, very adept at driving in snow.....including heavy snow. Much easier to control skids, better traction in rear wheel drive cars or trucks. This is why, of course, race cars always use rear wheel drive. Also a reason why German designed cars still have drive shafts, due to snow, even though they're more expensive to build. Front wheel drive was sold as being "safer" which is total BS. They are simply much cheaper to build.

Clearly without a clue.

Front Wheel drive has better traction in the snow because the weight of the engine is over the front wheels.

RWD trucks suck in the snow unless you put weight in the box.

I have a rwd car that actually goes pretty good thru the snow. It is balanced 51/49 front to rear, and I put two sand bags in the trunk to help it out. I live in WI and we get lots of snow.

fwd/rwd/awd/4wd doesn't help a vehicle stop any better on slippery roads. As indicated by the SUVs I see in the ditch.

Tires are the key to good traction.

A good set of snow tires even on a rwd car/truck and you can get around better than anyone.

Last edited:
Back