[NA] Auto insurance

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Despite being an ideal customer, my auto insurance renewal quote is going from high to very high.
My broker said he would shop it.
What companies would a broker not normally shop?
Not particularly interested in Geico but I think they fall in this category and I provide it only as an example.

Won’t shop USAA; they may not be cheapest though.

Your broker? Get on the phone and make some calls. I had USAA mentioned above in the distant past; stopped using their insurance due to high cost. Currently my vehicles and home are with State Farm. State Farm has provided what I consider a reasonable rate for my home and all but one of my vehicles. Assuming you're aware of multi-line discounts, I would inquire about that as well when calling around.

We are having pretty good luck so far with Auto Owners. No claims, but they did pretty well after the East Troublesome Fire. The people who had them faired as well or better than most. Rates are as good as we could find.

You might check Texas Farm Bureau. We went from Geico to them 5 years ago and the rate was 1/2 of Geico. Texas Farm Bureau has raised their rates over the last 5 years, but I am sure everyone has. We have had no claims with them I can say Geico was great on the ones we had with them.

Broker also won’t likely check with Amica however they have a history of paying claims then not renewing the policy.

Cost is not the only thing you should be looking at. Service is important.

I am with USAA. Great great service. And a nice refund each year as they are a membership organization.

Another strong vote for Texas Farm Bureau Mutual.

I have/had been with USAA for decades - used to be that no one could touch their rates and service, but I have discovered those days are gone (as to rates - have needed zero policy service or claims adjusting for a long time, assume it is still reasonably good with claims).

Changing to Farm Bureau saved me a *lot* on both homeowners and auto. I was… amazed. And (for me) the local agent (Fredericksburg) provides very responsive service.

With Farm Bureau being a mutual insurance co., when you are an insured, you are also an “owner.”

Edit: looks like you nearest agent would be in Fort Stockton.
PECOS-REEVES COUNTY FARM BUREAU
2101 W DICKINSON BLVD
FORT STOCKTON, TX 79735
Mon - Fri, 8am - 5pm
(432) 336-2828

Last edited:
Another vote for Farm Bureau, I have been using them for 40+ years now, father and now son as my Agent.
I tried shopping around 1 year and tried State Farm when they quoted me a significantly lower rate, then 3 months into the new year, State Farm raise my rates to the same as I would have paid with Farm Bureau, so I went back to Farm Bureau.
Have had a number of claims in 40 years, House Fire, Basement flood, Serious Injury Accident, New Roof on the RV. Have never had any issues with them paying for claims.

Any company can offer me lower rates, and most aren't really much lower anyway. None of them can guarantee they will will handle my claims as well as Farm Bureau has.

Brian

You basically need to be continuously shopping at renewals. There really isn't a benefit in loyalty anymore.

Completely cliche, but I did just switch to GEICO, and they were >15% cheaper (for actually slightly higher coverage), but I know a year from now that could change.

When requesting a quote, what info should be included or excluded?

I modified the pdf of the upcoming renewal, to include only the coverages and premium pages.
I cleared the premiums and the broker info.
It includes all details about drivers and addresses, they will get our SSN and DL#.
It includes the vehicle details and the amount of current coverages.
It includes the current company and the policy number.
It doesn't show the pages of limitations and exclusions, I will compare those later.

IMG_9089.jpeg

(I kid, I kid…)

Agreed on shopping around. While I’ve been generally very happy with my insurance, their rates are climbing as well with no incidents on my part, and a newish vehicle (5 yrs old), so not obsolete for repairs but not brand-new either. Been with them since 2001, house with them as well.

Cost is not the only thing you should be looking at. Service is important.

I am with USAA. Great great service. And a nice refund each year as they are a membership organization.
That's a tough call for me to make. How much of a premium is it worth to pay just to ensure the guy at the other end of the phone is pleasant when a claim is made?

Buy yeah, I have stuck with USAA my entire ensured life. I got USAA before they opened it up to military enlisted (and then everyone.) Pops was a naval officer.

It is not just about being nice when you call, it is how they handle your claims. Also, with USAA, as a member organization I get a couple of refunds most years. One as a member and one for being an old member. :)

Back