Mosquitoes

2-Bit Speed

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
2-Bit Speed
The other day, I was outside and it was windy. Pleasantly so. Doubly so because there were no mosquitoes buzzing around, and that made me wonder: What is the maximum crosswind for a South-Georgia swamp mosquito?

I can only find videos of Mosquitoes landing without crosswind, so it’s hard to say.

Obviously unladen, as they would have dropped their bomb load.

According to my AI brain trust the answer is:

"Mosquitoes typically quit flying when wind speeds exceed their flying speed, which is around 3.6 miles per hour, and they are especially affected by gusty conditions that disrupt their flight patterns."

We have some here in Carolina that are big enough to have ticks on them. Their wind resistance may be a bit higher because of span loading ... ;)

Yes, fortunately these scourges of the fairer months aren't known for their skill in navigating much more than a gentle breeze, which is why Ye Olde Box Fan, strategically placed at ankle-level height on the deck, offers a vast improvement in quality-of-life for all cookout attendees.

I still remember the gray Navy pickup that would drive through the neighborhood near sundown in Puerto Rico blasting DDT in the air to quell the mosquitoes. We lived on the edge of a mangrove swamp. Don't get caught there at the wrong time of day or the blood could literally be drained from your body in the event of a mosquito swarm.

Back