McCauley dye capacity

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
How much dye is in props that are serviced with such?
Is it an ounce? A quart?
Just curious.
I have one:
PN 2A34C66-NP
My googling failed at this question.

McCauley places red dye in the lubricant of the hub so, if a leak begins to occur, you'll have witness marks from the leaking lubricant which otherwise might be too thin as to be invisible.

And, as for the OP question, I haven't a clue. My library does not include a McCauley service manual.

Edit:

In the McCauley Propeller Owner & Operator Manual, you get this:

"(6) Internal Lubrication - On some models, grease is applied to the bearings for lubrication when
the propeller is assembled. However, on other models the lubrication medium is oil. On oil-filled
propellers, the hub cavity is partially filled with red dyed engine type oil which is sealed in the
hub and isolated from engine oil. This oil provides lubrication and corrosion protection to blade
bearings and other internal parts. The oil is dyed red to aid in the troubleshooting of suspected
propeller leaks.

NOTE: Periodic field maintenance of this lubrication is NOT normally required."

I also get this:

A-1637-11 Dyed Oil
(Piston
engines)
1 gallon of Aeroshell Oil W65 and 12
grams of A-4880-1

and

A-4880-1 Red "B" liquid
dye NOTE: A-4880-1 red "B" liquid
dye does not have a shelf
life

Last edited:
If you have an oil mist on the cowl or windscreen, use a white towel/paper towel to wipe it off. The towel will have a pink tint to it if it’s a prop leak. Otherwise, there’s no way to tell unless it’s a big leak and your cowl is white (and was clean to begin with). You might notice some pink inside the spinner.

Mine was leaking after sitting for a couple of months and I was beginning to contemplate this.....it stopped leaking after I flew it for a few hours.

I believe it's 10W oil with dye added. There are instructions somewhere online to fill (it doesn't normally get serviced). It's about a quart of fluid. There are two ports....it sounded like it needs to be filled to the second port.

Back