Mayo

Mayo on a hot dog will.
Hmmmmmmmmm. That’s one combo I don’t think I’ve ever tried. I’m not a “mayo on everything“ guy. I’ve had various combinations of mustard, ketchup, relish, onions, cheese, chili, and kraut on dogs over the years. Maybe more, I don’t remember.

Funniest hot dog experience: we were in a shopping mall in Frankfurt. There was a guy there with a push cart advertising “American Hot Dogs” (or maybe just “American Style”). When we walked up he kind of deflated a little. You can’t buy actual hot dog buns there, and the only onions he had were the fried things you buy in a package. Still, nice guy, the dogs weren’t bad. I thought he was probably every bit as close to having American hot dogs as I’d find any restaurant around here serving real German food. It was as close as he could get.

So I guess Miracle Whip is out of the question…
I tried a recipe that involved coating some salmon fish with mayonnaise as a binder to hold herbs. At the time all we had was Miracle Whip. I figured Miracle Whip = mayonnaise = same same.

But nope. The Miracle Whip degraded in to some sort of melted plastic substance. The salmon fish was a loss.

So I guess Miracle Whip is out of the question…

There is no question whose answer is "Miracle Whip."

Mom could pinch a penny so hard old Abe would scream. We had Miracle Whip and margarine growing up as both were cheaper than mayo or real butter. Same with Tang over orange juice.

Last edited:
Mom could pinch a penny so hard old Abe would scream. We had Miracle Whip and margarine growing up as both were cheapwr than mayo or real butter. Same with Tang over orange juice.
I wonder if that's why I was raised on Miracle Whip. I always just figured mom liked the stuff... that's all we ever had
and ditto the margarine and Tang!

Sriracha mayo is pretty tasty. Sriracha mayo with homemade mayo is also pretty darned tasty.

My family grew up with Miracle Whip, margarine, and Tang (also Hawaiian Punch, Hi-C, and grape juice)… I never did like Miracle Whip much at all. No, strike that - I never did like it at all. Never really had actual mayo until I was married and I love it. Now we’re a butter/mayo household.

There is no question whose answer is "Miracle Whip."

Sure there is. “Who do you love”? for example.

360_F_234716622_rkCf2sqmcp0r92ga6azRzqBt3ZvPiGeQ.jpg

I generally don't eat fries, but when I do (insert Dos Equis man me me) I like dipping them in tartar sauce. Short of that, malt vinegar is fine. Then mayo. Then sour cream.

Mmm, that's an idea, maybe sour cream jumps to the top. With some French Onion soup mix blended in.

Ketchup and steak are for bad steaks, good steaks need nothing. Same for fries, good ones need nothing, bad ones need ketchup.
Good steaks still benefit from salt and maybe a rosemary butter.

Loved Tang as a kid. The astronauts drank it!

Sweet potato fries!

What about ketchup on a well-done steak?
The steak is already ruined, not much else can go wrong with it. If you have to salvage it anyway, that’s why we have A1 or 57. Ketchup is a way of saying, “This steak is inedible any other way”.

Salt and cracked pepper, and on the grill it goes. I prefer the reverse sear method.
:yeahthat:

And make it a charcoal grill, please. Reverse sear vastly improved the quality of my steaks.

BTW, we've learned that when we bring steaks home from the store it's a good idea to let them sit for a week or so in the fridge before cooking or freezing them. Just a little bit of aging does wonders.

Salt and cracked pepper, and on the grill it goes. I prefer the reverse sear method.
I don't like pepper because it burns. Hence putting a rosemary butter on later as a substitute for those floral notes.

The steak is already ruined, not much else can go wrong with it. If you have to salvage it anyway, that’s why we have A1 or 57. Ketchup is a way of saying, “This steak is inedible any other way”.
That works, but sliced thin with Wooster sauce does a good job.

Other than just plain yellow mustard, I like Korean Samjang on a hamburger. Try it!

Vegetables are unnecessary distractions on meat.

now that I'm eating an animal-based diet, I wonder if good mayo can be made with animal fat. I'm not so inclined to make my own mayo since I'd use so little of it, but while Avacodo oil seems ok (and I'm thankful that it's commercially available, I'm becoming more and more convinced that everything is better with animal fat.
I wish that things would be fried in animal fat like we used to do.... even pork rinds....a lot of them are fried in vegetable oil!
Most animal fats I know about are solids at room temperature or colder. So you can't just drizzle the oil in to the egg/mustard/vinegar/salt mix unless you heat it first to melt the fat. That might cook the egg. Perhaps try dissolving the animal fat in vegetable oil first to disperse it, then make the mayo as usual.

Oh, I learned something new.
Screenshot 2024-08-02 071014.jpg
I alway assumed that Poon Tang was derived from a Korean word. All the GI's I knew who did a rotation in Korea would speak of getting Poon Tang.

Back