Looking for a 2 seater, I know this is a lot to ask for...

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2017/october/pilot/budget-buy-grumman-aa1b#:~:text=The AA1B has a basic useful load of more than 450 pounds.
Hey everyone, me and a friend of mine are finishing up our multi engine commerical and are in the process of looking for an airplane to time build in for the airlines. Our criteria is an aircraft, experimental or certified, that burns very little fuel, preferably under 7 gallons, but the less the better (4-5 would be awesome), fast, and 2 seater, but more than 2 would be okay as well. Something that is fun, but affordable and can easily carry 2 people, that is fast. We have been looking hard at the Grumman AA1 Yankee, I also just mentioned possibly buying a 0-200 115hp Quickie. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions before 2 students make a huge financial decision like this? Any help or advice would be much appreciated, thanks!!
The AA1 cruises at 108 mph at 7 gph or slightly less. That is not exactly fast, but it is an honest 100 kts or better in cruise. I think you should include 2+2 airplanes like the Cherokee 140 and the Mooney M20C or E. I used to cruise my Cherokee at 7.5 GPH ROP at about 102 kts cruise, and the Mooney C would do the same while sipping less fuel than that. I often putt around I'm my Mooney at 100 kts at 6 GPH or fly XC at 140 kts 8GPH LOP

Just a thought

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2017/october/pilot/budget-buy-grumman-aa1b#:~:text=The AA1B has a basic useful load of more than 450 pounds.
Hey everyone, me and a friend of mine are finishing up our multi engine commerical and are in the process of looking for an airplane to time build in for the airlines. Our criteria is an aircraft, experimental or certified, that burns very little fuel, preferably under 7 gallons, but the less the better (4-5 would be awesome), fast, and 2 seater, but more than 2 would be okay as well. Something that is fun, but affordable and can easily carry 2 people, that is fast. We have been looking hard at the Grumman AA1 Yankee, I also just mentioned possibly buying a 0-200 115hp Quickie. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions before 2 students make a huge financial decision like this? Any help or advice would be much appreciated, thanks!!
The AA1 cruises at 108 mph at 7 gph or slightly less. That is not exactly fast, but it is an honest 100 kts or better in cruise. I think you should include 2+2 airplanes like the Cherokee 140 and the Mooney M20C or E. I used to cruise my Cherokee at 7.5 GPH ROP at about 102 kts cruise, and the Mooney C would do the same while sipping less fuel than that. I often putt around I'm my Mooney at 100 kts at 6 GPH or fly XC at 8GPH LOP 140 knots.

Just a thought

Last edited:
If you want more hours, doing two nice trips for 16 hours gets you more hours. You’re trying to maximize the trip count, not the hours count.
Also, you can always pull the throttle back and go slower in the fast plane, can’t push the throttle further in on the slow plane.

The AA1 cruises at 108 mph at 7 gph or slightly less. That is not exactly fast, but it is an honest 100 kts or better in cruise. I think you should include 2+2 airplanes like the Cherokee 140 and the Mooney M20C or E. I used to cruise my Cherokee at 7.5 GPH ROP at about 102 kts cruise, and the Mooney C would do the same while sipping less fuel than that. I often putt around I'm my Mooney at 100 kts at 6 GPH or fly XC at 8GPH LOP 140 knots.

Just a thought
The aa1 is more like 108kts not mph. I planned for 125 mph in mine at 6.5 gph. Mine had no wheel pants and the paint was rough as a cob. I think 130 mph would be reasonable for a clean example.

LSA or Experimental will likely have the lowest costs; both acquisition and operational.
Otherwise, for those fuel flows, you are likely wanting 200HP or less, e.g. at most an IO-360 sized engine.

That provides a fair number of options. Mooney's will likely be one of the cheaper items with the best speed in the certified space.
An SR-20 will be one of the more comfortable options.

Tim

If budget is a concern, find a club that has a C150 in the fleet, you're not likely going to find a cheaper time building ownership option. But in keeping within the constraints of your original post, an RV-12 checks a lot of your boxes...

The aa1 is more like 108kts not mph. I planned for 125 mph in mine at 6.5 gph. Mine had no wheel pants and the paint was rough as a cob. I think 130 mph would be reasonable for a clean example.
You are right. I wrote 108 MPH but I was thinking knots. My mistake. Thanks for catching that

I have a Cessna 150 that I fly up and down the east coast,you can certainly build hours if you throttle back to under 6gph. The faster you go the more fuel you burn.

I have a Cessna 150 that I fly up and down the east coast,you can certainly build hours if you throttle back to under 6gph. The faster you go the more fuel you burn.

You can throttle it back to about 4.5 gph if you really want to build time.

Sonex is low cost to acquire and operate. I have a Jabiru 2200 (85HP) in mine and have flown with another 200 pounder. 4 gph and 120 mph. -Very- responsive so fun but not for
IFR.

This is a youtube series about someone that wanted to economically build hours etc. and chose an Ercoupe Rising Sun

No… you can throttle back if you want save fuel.
You can simply do another leg and keep the same logged time, albeit at an expense for fuel.

The buy-in will be on the higher side, but an RV-4/6/7/8/9 is fast, fun and burns 8-9 an hour. The downside is you won’t want to sell it.

I sold my -8 to get a bigger plane and am regretting it.

“throttle it back”??? In a ROTAX 4.5 GPH is max power. —if you are into that whole fuel efficiency thing.

Rotax FTW

Yep; a recent lunch run xc was 2.3 on the Hobbs and 11 gallons of E0. The burgers may soon cost more than the gas.

Back