List of East Coast "Getaways"

gitmo234

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
gitmo234
I was thinking of putting together a list of possible trips up and down the east coast for getaways... I'm taking Islands, cabins in the woods, anything out of the norm.

The first one that pops in my head is Tangier Island (KTGI). What do you guys have on your list?

Saint Simmons island GA, ocean city Maryland,cape may New Jersey. Block island rhode island

Tangier is not much of a "getaway" for more than an hour. In that time you've pretty much seen it all. Easton, md. for the first time , would be better but it entails renting a car to get to Harrison's resturant on tillman island, walk around st. Michaels and stop in spitfire aviation at the airport to see a magnificent P51, Spitfire and some very nice cars owned by a healthcare magnate. Ocean city is as mentioned, a good stop in summer.

I would recommend newport, RI (kuuu) for a day or weekend trip. Thinking of going back for a couple days and stopping at block island on the way home.

so I'm definitely not a south east coast expert by any means, but flying into north myrtle beach is pretty easy and you're pretty close to everything...da beach, myrtle (very touristy but still pretty darn cool), restaurants, etc... a little bit north-ish of n. myrtle is topsail island and a lil bit south is Hilton Head or Charleston. three places I haven't flown into yet but seem to be points of interest, at least for me. HH more for the golfing but it looks rather expensive. I've driven to Charleston before and that's a great lil town. food, college girls, beaches. two of those three enjoy having me as much as I enjoy having them. the third doesn't want much to do with me these days. :)

KSSI - St. Simons Island
This airport is an easy in/out non-control towered airport with fuel available. It is a great place to experience the Georgia coastal area.
http://www.stsimonsisland.com/

09J - Jekyll Island
This airport is also an easy in/out non-control towered airport, but does NOT have fuel. They have 'Red Bug' electric cars that you can rent at the airport for a fun way to tour the island. This island has a very unique pre-WW2 history because of the Jekyll Island Club and cottages built by some of the wealthiest people in America during that period of time.
http://www.jekyllisland.com/
http://jekyllislandairport.com/index.html

KFFA - Kitty Hawk NC

Edenton, NC. New Bern, NC Morehead city, NC. All nice southern towns. History and restaurants. New Bern would be my first choice, with Edenton second. All have B&B's. All very walkable, once you get to town.

Last edited:
Lots of good stuff here. My wife and I work the grind in the DC area so for us, getting away for a weekend to someplace isolated like Tangier is perfect. Seems like the GA area has good stuff as well.

We plan a couple of trips for to NC and SC for scuba diving, a few Island weekends and maybe some back woods cabin in the mountains for winter.

Bootbay Harbor, ME (I fly into IWI).
Southport NC isn't bad for a day trip.
Asheville NC
Lake George, NY

Lots of good stuff here. My wife and I work the grind in the DC area so for us, getting away for a weekend to someplace isolated like Tangier is perfect. Seems like the GA area has good stuff as well.

We plan a couple of trips for to NC and SC for scuba diving, a few Island weekends and maybe some back woods cabin in the mountains for winter.

Where will you be staying at tangier? In the airplane?

Assuming you want to fly in: Hubby and I had a lovely weekend at Tangier Island and another one at Jekyll Island. Lake Placid has a lot of really nice places to stay.

We didn't fly in, or stay overnight, but I think you can at Acadia in Maine. We enjoyed that as a one day visit. Another one where we didn't stay overnight, but it is available is Provincetown on Cape Cod.

Where will you be staying at tangier? In the airplane?

There are several bed and breakfasts available form semi-reasonable prices. The good thing is its easy to call around... 5 minutes and you've called every single one of them.

I talked with one of the owners for a good bit. He said it's best after around 4 pm when the last tourist boat leaves. Before 4, hit the beach because all the tourists are making the 10 minute walk around town, after 4 eat dinner.

Bring your own bottle of wine or favorite beer.

I'm very good friends with someone who is on personal security detail for a member of congress...does all his traveling with him, etc.

He said that particular member goes there about once a year with friends to get away. We had planned on going there sometime. Sometimes you want fancy, sometimes you want a cabin

Saratoga during the race meet is a lot of fun. I like to fly into GFL and rent a car. During the meet the ramp at Saratoga Spring is wing tip to wing tip jets, and the prices reflect it. GFL is laid back and much more reasonable.

And I second Boothbay Harbor.

GON is only about 5 miles from Mystic Seaport in CT, which is kind of cool. I can't tell you about ground transport. I have friends up there that cart me round.

Last edited:
We spent a delightful weekend at the Basin Harbor resort on Vermont's Lake Champlain. They have a grass runway and cabins for rent along the lake. There is golf, hiking trails galore and all of the water activities you could want. Canoes and small boats are available to rent. Here's a video of our flight in and the surroundings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXkubUnKFQY

We spent a delightful weekend at the Basin Harbor resort on Vermont's Lake Champlain. They have a grass runway and cabins for rent along the lake. There is golf, hiking trails galore and all of the water activities you could want.
Thanks for the video!

It's less than 40 miles away for me. With luck, I'll make it over there some time this summer. Did you call ahead to verify runway condition? If so, how easy was it to get hold of someone with reliable info?

Yes I called ahead and got a good report. The runway is part of the Basin Harbor Rapport and they get quite a few plane coming in during the both season. The front desk is knowledgeable about the runway conditions, bit if the person answering the phone has any doubts, they will check and call you right back. I found them very helpful and accommodating. It is a first class operation.

Back