I'm new here!

Hah! I'm guessing it's only good enough to hang on a wall :D Nah, I'm not in a hurry (gotta finish the PPL).

Hey are we able to share MyFlightBook data here? I'd really love for someone to look at my logs (from 2011-2013, 1995-1996 POOF!).
Couple of ways.

• Download the spreadsheet (Website, go to Logbook->Download) and share that
  • Or, go to Profile->Preferences->Sharing and you can create a link that you can share and which exposes various aspects (under your control) of your logbook.

Having been where you are (except had already finished my PPL), I can relate my experience.

It took about 5 flight hours to get signed off on my flight review. I had completed my IR written and had binge watched the FAA Safety courses plus reviewed the free online Fly8MA gound school (links below) so I was sharpened on my ground knowledge.

The one thing that really surprised me was how quickly I got task saturated with just climbing out at the right speed and then trimming to be level at assigned heading. It was embarrassing as I knew better, but it had atrophied. The good news is that it came back quickly. Stalls / steep turns / etc weren't a big deal, a couple of each and I was reasonable at them.

Landings were another area of concern, mostly because I was waiting a bit long to start the flare. The sight picture had changed from what was reality to what I remembered.

The good news for you is that I see no reason it should take you very long to get back up to being safe and competent. However, you also have to get able to meet the PTS requirements to your instructor's confidence level that you'll meet the DPE's requirements. But, the flip side is that you are building hours and for future use when talking to insurance, hours are a big deal.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

----------- LInks ---------------

FAA Safety courses https://www.faasafety.gov/gslac/ALC/course_catalog.aspx
Fly8MA free ground school https://fly8ma.com/courses/2021-free-private-pilot-ground-school-pilot-course/ (Even though link says 2021, page was updated to 2022)

Much appreciated! That is what I was hoping. I wouldn't be offended at 10-20 hours and yes, lots of binging on ground school will be on tap before I step anywhere near an airport. I just don't want an instructor to decide "Yeah this guy needs another 40-60 hours!"

Much appreciated! That is what I was hoping. I wouldn't be offended at 10-20 hours and yes, lots of binging on ground school will be on tap before I step anywhere near an airport. I just don't want an instructor to decide "Yeah this guy needs another 40-60 hours!"
Whadda you think about yer skills? Beware of Hubris. Knee draggin’, sex, drugs, rock’n roll culture don’t always line up well with the realities of the realities of flying airplanes.

Last edited:
Welcome

1) It will take as long as it takes to get your PPL. If you really remember everything, the hours you have in your logbook will count towards the minimum hours. The hours in the logbook you lost are gone. If you can track down the school or the instructor, you may be able to reconstruct the hours. But it is not a huge deal for your PPL, as you sound like you have over the minimum hours already.

2) You have NO CLUE as to how much you can sink into an abandoned airplane. Heck, you have NO CLUE as to how much you can sink into an perfectly flyable airplane that you buy. And, an abandoned airplane could have hidden issues that you don't find until you are well into the process. I HIGHLY suggest that if you want to buy an airplane, buy one that you can fly now. Then, as you fly it, you can fix things first, then upgrade to how you want it over time.

Some costs, assuming an airplane you can go places with. A very simple plane will be somewhat less:

Annual inspection, with NO REPAIRS - $2000
Engine overhaul - $30,000 and up. Assuming the major parts are OK. If crank, case and cam are bad - factory new for an O-320 (Cessna 172, Piper Cherokee 150) will start somewhere near $68,000
New Paint - $10,000 and up
New interior - $10,000 and up (top line interior can be $20,000)
Avionics - For glass cockpit and autopilot, figure starting around $75,000. This would to single GOC, ADS-B transponder, single display with engine instruments and autopilot. Assuming you can use one of the current nav/com as secondary.

Welcome! Like everyone said aviation isn’t cheap but definitely rewarding… I’m on the NE coast of Florida. I’d recommend at least reviewing a rusty pilot seminar to see all the changes that have happened in GA since you last flew. Also if you plan on getting an airplane or even have a doubt I’d get my name on a hangar waiting list ASAP… hangar space anywhere in Florida seems to be at a premium everywhere these days.

Back