I'm new here!

Brian C.

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jarbarian
Ok let me give you a little back ground.

I first flew in 1995-1996, roughly about 45-50 hours, then ran out of $$$.
For the next 10 years, I had the biggest Metallica tribute band on the planet. (Yes, Metallica came to OUR show and joined us on stage for a 6 song jam).
Then for the next 5 years I raced motorcycles (roadracing).
In late 2011 I picked up the flying bug and logged about 55 hours. I had only one XC to be done, then two checks and bam, I would have been a pilot. But that failed due to having to relocate for work, then meeting my wife and getting married.

So here I am, 10 years later, ready to finish. I do not have my log book from 1995-1996 but I do have the log book from 2011-2012 (I even have it digitized in an excel spreadsheet if anyone wants to look at it).

What I am trying to determine is:
a) I definitely need to do ground school again (I'm doing Pilot Institute as I don't need a class).
b) Will finish ground school in January, then I need to find a decent flight school West of Orlando. So far, Apopka has been suggested but we'll see.
c) I have to determine how many hours I would need. I haven't forgotten slow flight, p/on, p/off stalls, turns around a point, navigation, etc.

My goal is not to bankrupt myself trying to get my PPL (FWIW, I'm 53, I know, I'm old!) and eventually, maybe find an abandoned plane I can buy and rebuild it the way I want it.

Thoughts, good or bad, appreciated.

Club plane probably better path. Every old plane is (still) super valuable, parts take forever, etc

You’re similar to many others, but I don’t understand the mindset. I wanted to fly. I took lessons until I was ready to take my checkride. To me it was irrelevant how many hours it took. I got to fly while taking lessons, so I was happy. Eventually I was rewarded with the ability to fly without supervision and to take others with me. Even if I never got to the point of getting my license, I was still getting to fly.

If the goal is not to bankrupt yourself, don’t take up flying. If the goal is to fly, then go flying.

Welcome aboard Brian! I'm over on the other side of Florida (Space Coast). Past Roadracer as well. Good luck and have fun getting back to it.

If the goal is not to bankrupt yourself, don’t take up flying. If the goal is to fly, then go flying.

This. Either do or don’t. Your PPL will cost $10k or more.

Abandoned airplane? Ummmm. I thought you wanted to fly and not go bankrupt. There’s not much chance the $10k ramp rat will be affordable by the time you launch it.

And… welcome.

You’re similar to many others, but I don’t understand the mindset....

Life happens. It's not so much a mindset as it is the circumstances in life that happens. Ran out of cash in 1995, had my career change in 2012 and I started to take flying up again when I relocated from VA to CA, only to find another circumstance to cause me to move to Florida. My work schedule (on call) did not allow me to take up flying. Then you get married (with 2 young teenagers in the mix) and as you can see, LIFE HAPPENS.

As far as the cost, I will finish this and get my license. I will look towards a project plane that I can hangar and work with a certified mechanic to build it the way I want. Hopefully a Mooney, I love the speed :)

Welcome aboard Brian! I'm over on the other side of Florida (Space Coast). Past Roadracer as well. Good luck and have fun getting back to it.

You had a CBR? I race 600RRs at Willow Springs. Best I finished was 5th place, as I had no sponsors, mechanic, crew chief. It was just me on a STOCK 600RR. I watched the newer Yamaha 600s with full crews walk past me down the long straight. I was frustrated but had fun!

Oh the club stuff, I may look into that, but I'd rather own my own plane. I'd rather not have to work around a schedule and waiting for parts, I'm ok with that as well.

Life happens. It's not so much a mindset as it is the circumstances in life that happens. Ran out of cash in 1995, had my career change in 2012 and I started to take flying up again when I relocated from VA to CA, only to find another circumstance to cause me to move to Florida. My work schedule (on call) did not allow me to take up flying. Then you get married (with 2 young teenagers in the mix) and as you can see, LIFE HAPPENS.

As far as the cost, I will finish this and get my license. I will look towards a project plane that I can hangar and work with a certified mechanic to build it the way I want. Hopefully a Mooney, I love the speed :)

You had a CBR? I race 600RRs at Willow Springs. Best I finished was 5th place, as I had no sponsors, mechanic, crew chief. It was just me on a STOCK 600RR. I watched the newer Yamaha 600s with full crews walk past me down the long straight. I was frustrated but had fun!

Oh the club stuff, I may look into that, but I'd rather own my own plane. I'd rather not have to work around a schedule and waiting for parts, I'm ok with that as well.
You want a project Mooney? Have I got a deal for you!!! ;)

You want a project Mooney? Have I got a deal for you!!! ;)

Hah! I'm guessing it's only good enough to hang on a wall :D Nah, I'm not in a hurry (gotta finish the PPL).

Hey are we able to share MyFlightBook data here? I'd really love for someone to look at my logs (from 2011-2013, 1995-1996 POOF!).

Hah! I'm guessing it's only good enough to hang on a wall :D Nah, I'm not in a hurry (gotta finish the PPL).

Hey are we able to share MyFlightBook data here? I'd really love for someone to look at my logs (from 2011-2013, 1995-1996 POOF!).
Only part of it is on a wall. The rest is still in the hands of the ntsb.
7EE8B6AB-1BFE-4604-A75F-BC7AC2361F03.jpeg

What do you want people to look at your logs for?

Yeah I thought so on that Mooney. :)

Would just like an opinion on how long it should technically take, once I redo my ground school. I still have a 3rd XC to make and yeah, I gotta get in a plane and show a FI I can still fly (I can).

Would just like an opinion on how long it should technically take, once I redo my ground school. I still have a 3rd XC to make and yeah, I gotta get in a plane and show a FI I can still fly (I can).
Waste of time IMO. You're going to have to demonstrate to a new instructor that you are competent on all skills on the check ride as well as completing the required tasks. A good instructor is not going to sign you off if they haven't seen you do all the skills (to the required standards consistently) themselves. It takes as long as it takes to accomplish that. If you are dedicated and still have the skills, not long, but I see no value in making such a guess. It takes what it takes.

Waste of time IMO. You're going to have to demonstrate to a new instructor that you are competent on all skills on the check ride as well as completing the required tasks. A good instructor is not going to sign you off if they haven't seen you do all the skills themselves. It takes as long as it takes to accomplish that. If you are dedicated and still have the skills, not long, but I see no value in making such a guess. It takes what it takes.

I can agree there. It takes as long as it takes. I'm just hoping not another 40-60 hours :)

I can agree there. It takes as long as it takes. I'm just hoping not another 40-60 hours :)
Also being an ex-road racer, I'm inclined to think you will knock it out in a fraction of that. But I've never seen you fly.

looking at logbooks won’t tell anyone how you fly today.

Welcome ,if your going to fly out of Florida west coast stay away from the busy controlled fields too much time wasted on the ground.there are several clubs in the Sarasota Venice area . Good luck on your endeavors.

Welcome ,if your going to fly out of Florida west coast stay away from the busy controlled fields too much time wasted on the ground.there are several clubs in the Sarasota Venice area . Good luck on your endeavors.

Im in Winter Garden so Apopka is the best. Yes, there's MCO to deal with as well as Orlando Executive, so I plan to stay away from there. I wouldn't mind flying to Sarasota.

Do you fly with your dogs in the plane? I'd love to take mine up!

I fly with my dogs occasionally. Just landed in Apopka yesterday, it's a challenging airport to learn at, but I think it's a good challenge.

I fly with my dogs occasionally. Just landed in Apopka yesterday, it's a challenging airport to learn at, but I think it's a good challenge.

Ah nice, what did you think? Small runway, next to a road. Again, I haven't flown there yet and wont until Feb/Mar of next year. Trying to determine which school there is the best.

Welcome!! I'm not in FL, so can't help with the instructor. Like others have said, you are going to have to find a CFI and then they will help you figure out what you need to do to finish up based on your current skillz....

Metallica

Now I have inspiration for what to listen to in the gym today... Maybe some of the older stuff...

@Half Fast did at least some of his training there, so he might be able to help. I like the airport, but the grades on the runway and quirky winds make it a "fun" airport to land at. It would not keep me from training there, but just about every time I fly in there I notice I had to work pretty hard getting it down smoothly.

One time I left there, there were 20 knot winds and the sock at one side was pointing toward me and the sock on the other side was pointing away from me. :eek:

Last edited:
Welcome!! I'm not in FL, so can't help with the instructor. Like others have said, you are going to have to find a CFI and then they will help you figure out what you need to do to finish up based on your current skillz....

Now I have inspiration for what to listen to in the gym today... Maybe some of the older stuff...

I suggest the entire "Ride the Lightning" album. Start with "Creeping Death" which was also the name of my band.

Then go listen to Tornado of Souls (Megadeth), best metal solo EVER!

Ok let me give you a little back ground.

I first flew in 1995-1996, roughly about 45-50 hours, then ran out of $$$.
For the next 10 years, I had the biggest Metallica tribute band on the planet. (Yes, Metallica came to OUR show and joined us on stage for a 6 song jam).
Then for the next 5 years I raced motorcycles (roadracing).
In late 2011 I picked up the flying bug and logged about 55 hours. I had only one XC to be done, then two checks and bam, I would have been a pilot. But that failed due to having to relocate for work, then meeting my wife and getting married.

So here I am, 10 years later, ready to finish. I do not have my log book from 1995-1996 but I do have the log book from 2011-2012 (I even have it digitized in an excel spreadsheet if anyone wants to look at it).

What I am trying to determine is:
a) I definitely need to do ground school again (I'm doing Pilot Institute as I don't need a class).
b) Will finish ground school in January, then I need to find a decent flight school West of Orlando. So far, Apopka has been suggested but we'll see.
c) I have to determine how many hours I would need. I haven't forgotten slow flight, p/on, p/off stalls, turns around a point, navigation, etc.

My goal is not to bankrupt myself trying to get my PPL (FWIW, I'm 53, I know, I'm old!) and eventually, maybe find an abandoned plane I can buy and rebuild it the way I want it.

Thoughts, good or bad, appreciated.
Welcome to the joint. There’s an Eagles Tribute band guy who pops up here every now and then. Drummer I think, has a Malibu or something like that. Lotsa a scooter riders to, lotsa them are knee draggers. You ain’t old for here, 53 is probably near the average. Based on what you said about your logbooks it doesn’t sound to me like very many hours are going to be needed regulation wise. Should be just getting the rust knocked off. Lotsa folk here who know the Regs in detail though, I don’t.
I would recommend you arrange things so you can fly frequently, like every day if possible. Stretching it out like before, 95-96 and 11-12 isn’t going going to help your cause.

Hello Brian C. from the other Brian C. from the other side of the country (Idaho)

What to look for in the Logs. Go Read FAR 61.109, Make sure you have specifically logged everything there you need.
common problem. Didn't log the landing as Full Stop. Did specifically or obviously log Night Take-offs. Didn't really fly (or log a flight) 50 miles from your original point of departure for cross country requirements.

As to how long it will take, that just depends on you. Biggest issue I usually see is applicants that still don't really know all the components of the maneuvers. If you can chair fly the maneuver and tell me how to start the maneuver, What you are looking at during the maneuver, what altitudes to use, what are the common issues with maneuver and how to fix them, how to evaluate if you did the maneuver correctly, and how to exit the maneuver. Then it will probably take you around 10 hours of flying to convince an instructor you can consistently do the maneuvers. This also assumes you still remember how to fly into and out of Tower controlled airports reasonably well and meet all the experience requirements. If you need to learn those things in the airplane then it will take longer.

Welcome to POA.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL
LS6b
Bellanca Scout.

Welcome to the joint. There’s an Eagles Tribute band guy who pops up here every now and then. Drummer I think, has a Malibu or something like that. Lotsa a scooter riders to, lotsa them are knee draggers. You ain’t old for here, 53 is probably near the average. Based on what you said about your logbooks it doesn’t sound to me like very many hours are going to be needed regulation wise. Should be just getting the rust knocked off. Lotsa folk here who know the Regs in detail though, I don’t.
I would recommend you arrange things so you can fly frequently, like every day if possible. Stretching it out like before, 95-96 and 11-12 isn’t going going to help your cause.

Ah thanks. I didn't think I would need that many hours and I can't seem to link MyFlightBook flights here, but, if anyone is interested, I can share my excel spreadsheet. I agree, just need to knock some rust (in peace!) off. I'm more concerned with what has changed since 2013 when I last flew, which is why I am doing ground school again :)

Hello Brian C. from the other Brian C. from the other side of the country (Idaho)

What to look for in the Logs. Go Read FAR 61.109, Make sure you have specifically logged everything there you need.
common problem. Didn't log the landing as Full Stop. Did specifically or obviously log Night Take-offs. Didn't really fly (or log a flight) 50 miles from your original point of departure for cross country requirements.

As to how long it will take, that just depends on you. Biggest issue I usually see is applicants that still don't really know all the components of the maneuvers. If you can chair fly the maneuver and tell me how to start the maneuver, What you are looking at during the maneuver, what altitudes to use, what are the common issues with maneuver and how to fix them, how to evaluate if you did the maneuver correctly, and how to exit the maneuver. Then it will probably take you around 10 hours of flying to convince an instructor you can consistently do the maneuvers. This also assumes you still remember how to fly into and out of Tower controlled airports reasonably well and meet all the experience requirements. If you need to learn those things in the airplane then it will take longer.

Welcome to POA.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL
LS6b
Bellanca Scout.

Hey BC thank you! I will definitely go read up on that and double check. Again, I have my log books, digitized, so I would love someone to take a peek!

As @Salty mentioned, I trained at First Landings in Apopka, both Sport Pilot and Private Pilot. It's a good operation and I recommend it to many people, especially those who want to get a SP certificate. They've been around for a dozen or so years now. https://www.firstlandings.com/

Pluses:
- They specialize in SP training and are the #1 SP training place in the country, having trained about 1 in 5 of all Sport Pilots.
- They train all other levels as well.
- They have a variety of aircraft, so you're not stopped if a plane is down for maintenance or becomes damaged. When I was training, they had several Tecnam high-wing LSAs, a Cherokee, a Warrior, and a 172. I think they now have a twin as well.
- They have a team of instructors, so if you don't mesh with one you can switch to someone else.
- The planes are available as rentals so you have a place to fly after you get your ticket.
- The operation has its own mechanic, so maintenance is done in-house and planes aren't stuck waiting in some A&P's queue.
- There are other airports nearby, so you do some landing work at Orlando North and do some tower work at Leesburg. Also, the practice area is just a few minutes from the airport, so you won't waste time getting somewhere to work on stalls or steep turns.

Minuses:
- The Apopka airport is challenging. A railroad and Hwy 441 run parallel to the runway on the east side. At the north end, they are above runway level so there's a berm about 8' high. At the south end, the runway is on a berm that drops off to the south and west. Buildings are fairly close to the runway. All this means that the runway is surrounded by obstructions that cause the winds to swoop and swirl and gust in interesting and surprising ways. The runway also has an elevation change, dropping down at the south end. There are windsocks at each end of the runway, and several times I have seen them pointing in opposite directions including point at each other. Once you learn to land well at Apopka, other airports will seem easy.
- There's quite a bit of CFI turnover. I went through 4 instructors on my way to SP, and had 2 for my PP. Lots of young instructors who are headed for the airlines, and they bolt when they get a gig.
- They are usually very busy, so it can sometimes be difficult to schedule a lesson or to rent a plane. If you can be flexible, and if you can fly during the week, you'll have an easier time.

---------------------------------

Now, regarding your other subjects.....

I recommend you decide how often you'll be able to fly once you have your ticket, then train at that same rate. Yes, you could set some money aside, knock out the training fast, but then only fly every few weeks and your skills will atrophy. If you train at the same frequency you will later fly, training will take a bit longer and cost a bit more, but when you finish your skills will be persistent over the non-flying intervals. I suggest you decide on a monthly flying budget, then train at whatever rate that supports, then fly on that same budget.

As far as buying and rebuilding a junked plane, don't do this if saving money is your goal. Bad, bad idea. It will cost far, far more than buying an airworthy plane. Every part you have to replace will be purchased at great expense, and you'll be paying new part prices for many items. Something as simple as a new switch can cost hundreds of dollars, due to FAA requirements for airplane parts. Plus you will have to pay a licensed aircraft mechanic and inspector for much of the work, and that ain't cheap.

Hope this all helps.

Ah thanks. I didn't think I would need that many hours and I can't seem to link MyFlightBook flights here, but, if anyone is interested, I can share my excel spreadsheet. I agree, just need to knock some rust (in peace!) off. I'm more concerned with what has changed since 2013 when I last flew, which is why I am doing ground school again :)
You should be able to post an Excel file here. I’ve seen it done. Somebody tell him how to do it. I don’t know how

As @Salty mentioned, I trained at First Landings in Apopka, both Sport Pilot and Private Pilot. It's a good operation and I recommend it to many people, especially those who want to get a SP certificate. They've been around for a dozen or so years now. https://www.firstlandings.com/

Pluses:
- They specialize in SP training and are the #1 SP training place in the country, having trained about 1 in 5 of all Sport Pilots.
- They train all other levels as well.
- They have a variety of aircraft, so you're not stopped if a plane is down for maintenance or becomes damaged. When I was training, they had several Tecnam high-wing LSAs, a Cherokee, a Warrior, and a 172. I think they now have a twin as well.
- They have a team of instructors, so if you don't mesh with one you can switch to someone else.
- The planes are available as rentals so you have a place to fly after you get your ticket.
- The operation has its own mechanic, so maintenance is done in-house and planes aren't stuck waiting in some A&P's queue.
- There are other airports nearby, so you do some landing work at Orlando North and do some tower work at Leesburg. Also, the practice area is just a few minutes from the airport, so you won't waste time getting somewhere to work on stalls or steep turns.

Minuses:
- The Apopka airport is challenging. A railroad and Hwy 441 run parallel to the runway on the east side. At the north end, they are above runway level so there's a berm about 8' high. At the south end, the runway is on a berm that drops off to the south and west. Buildings are fairly close to the runway. All this means that the runway is surrounded by obstructions that cause the winds to swoop and swirl and gust in interesting and surprising ways. The runway also has an elevation change, dropping down at the south end. There are windsocks at each end of the runway, and several times I have seen them pointing in opposite directions including point at each other. Once you learn to land well at Apopka, other airports will seem easy.
- There's quite a bit of CFI turnover. I went through 4 instructors on my way to SP, and had 2 for my PP. Lots of young instructors who are headed for the airlines, and they bolt when they get a gig.
- They are usually very busy, so it can sometimes be difficult to schedule a lesson or to rent a plane. If you can be flexible, and if you can fly during the week, you'll have an easier time.

---------------------------------

Now, regarding your other subjects.....

I recommend you decide how often you'll be able to fly once you have your ticket, then train at that same rate. Yes, you could set some money aside, knock out the training fast, but then only fly every few weeks and your skills will atrophy. If you train at the same frequency you will later fly, training will take a bit longer and cost a bit more, but when you finish your skills will be persistent over the non-flying intervals. I suggest you decide on a monthly flying budget, then train at whatever rate that supports, then fly on that same budget.

As far as buying and rebuilding a junked plane, don't do this if saving money is your goal. Bad, bad idea. It will cost far, far more than buying an airworthy plane. Every part you have to replace will be purchased at great expense, and you'll be paying new part prices for many items. Something as simple as a new switch can cost hundreds of dollars, due to FAA requirements for airplane parts. Plus you will have to pay a licensed aircraft mechanic and inspector for much of the work, and that ain't cheap.

Hope this all helps.

Thank you. I went to First Landings on Saturday, the only person there was the ground school trainer and of course, he was busy with students. Not even a receptionist and the phone was ringing off the hook. I eventually got someone to respond after 5pm yesterday so I sent them my excel spreadsheet. Just waiting for a response. I also agree with you about Apopka Airport as I walked around and watched the planes come and go. If I can land there ok, I should be fine anywhere.

Training: I've put $$$ aside for training, should start End of March 2023 as I plan to finish ground school (3rd time) again.

Good note on a plane. Let's say I get an older Mooney, I would like to upgrade the avionics so I accounted for at least 100k for that. I've been watching Jimmy on YouTube, guy is great and he's not far from me. I wonder where his $$$ comes from? (SAVE THE 310!!)

Then go listen to Tornado of Souls (Megadeth), best metal solo EVER!

Hard to argue with that.... Rust in Peace makes for a nice workout..... Pretty much start to finish.

FAR 61.109.

All complete EXCEPT:

(4) 3 hours of flight training with an authorized instructor in a single-engine airplane in preparation for the practical test, which must have been performed within the preceding 2 calendar months from the month of the test; and (obviously no, because it's been 9 years since I've flown).
(i) 5 hours of solo cross-country time; (I have a little over 3)

So I need to get those knocked out, but that means back to getting back into the seat and doing some time practicing manuevers, navigation, w

Attachments

• Brians_Log_Book.txt
    7.2 KB · Views: 3
I think there is reason for optimism! With the hours you've flown, and taking ground school again, I would get with a good instructor, tell them what your goal is (become safe and proficient and earn my PPL) and start flying.

I would expect they'll take you through every maneuver again, but the ones that come back quickly you should progress through quickly and then be onto the ones that you need more practice on. Honestly, no one can say, but you might only need another 15 hours to get there, depending on how fast it comes back.

Like everything, flying more frequently is going to help it stick, so I would set up with someone to fly 3x per week and push through your ground school.

FAR 61.109.

All complete EXCEPT:

(4) 3 hours of flight training with an authorized instructor in a single-engine airplane in preparation for the practical test, which must have been performed within the preceding 2 calendar months from the month of the test; and (obviously no, because it's been 9 years since I've flown).
(i) 5 hours of solo cross-country time; (I have a little over 3)

So I need to get those knocked out, but that means back to getting back into the seat and doing some time practicing manuevers, navigation, w

Well, with this new information, I see reason to be optimistic.

Carry on Bravely!

Hey BC thank you! I will definitely go read up on that and double check. Again, I have my log books, digitized, so I would love someone to take a peek!
I am not that familiar with myflightbook. but if you have way to PM it to me I would be happy to take a look.

Brian
CFIIG/aSEL

https://myflightbook.com

I have used this to translate my paper logbook to digital. Once you review what I sent you, you'll see I have some things to clean up but I am not far off from completing. I'm fairly confident once I am in the seat stuff will come back pretty quickly. Especially Xwind landings if I am using Apopka :D

You can flex on the 10 hour student pilots with your hours, but they probably are more proficient than you are. If you walked in my door, I’d probably spend 7-10 hrs with you before re-solong, then work on knocking out the other requirements. I’d do a couple dual cross countries with you even if you already have done them. I need to know you are ready before letting you do a solo xc. End goal is making you a safe, proficient pilot that can pass the checkride without the shadow of a doubt.

Welcome back to flying, btw!

Yeah I was hoping 25 hours or less would be my goal.

25 hours @175hr (guesstimate) = $4375. I budgeted around 6k, counting the probably 20k I've already spent.

Don’t we have (or had) a guy around here that flies a Matrix or Malibu touring with his Eagles tribute band?

Something something life in the fast lane?

Back