Ice at OSH?

I have seen an ice truck (or maybe ice "gator") working through the aircraft camping areas. Don't know about frequency, etc, as I've never used it.

Welcome to POA, Brian! Will you be there this year?

Appreciate the input... if a truck came around, that's even better; don't have to haul it back to camp!

In the past you've been able to purchase bag ice at the back door of the ice cream stand in the WB area. Don't know if that is still the case since they moved it next to the re-enactor encampment.

There are also a couple places off site but walkable from the North 40 to get ice.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?p=327274

Do they have a place on field where you can purchase bags of ice, preferably near the North 40?

I have seen an ice truck (or maybe ice "gator") working through the aircraft camping areas. Don't know about frequency, etc, as I've never used it.

Can't be too frequent, 'cuz I don't think I've ever seen it!

Troy, on-site you can certainly get ice in the camp stores, but those are all down by Scholler, opposite pretty much the whole show from the North 40! An easier option is probably to either take the bus or walk to Target. There's also a BP station on the corner of 20th and South Park right near the north 40: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=BP&hl...=cifcxNgg05nG4_rFIRihzA&cbp=12,142.51,,0,0.52

That's the Hilton you see on the left, and if it worked properly you should see the approach end of runway 9 in the overhead view.

In the vintage the ice usually comes around in the morning. Not sure about the North 40.

In the vintage the ice usually comes around in the morning. Not sure about the North 40.
I posted a follow-up with an outside link, but I guess it's getting moderated.

But it seems the ice-service I've seen is Vintage camping only. Sorry for the misdirection.

I posted a follow-up with an outside link, but I guess it's getting moderated.

But it seems the ice-service I've seen is Vintage camping only. Sorry for the misdirection.

Thanks! I really didn't remember there was none at the North 40. I imagine you can raid the ice machines at the Hilton if you're close enough. If not, there are convenience stores and a grocery just off the field if the North 40 you are in.

The Gators only serve staff and volunteers.

In recent years, ice has been available in HBC. There is an ice cooler near the portable shower, with 10 (?) lb bags of ice and an honor system cash jar beside the cooler.

Ice is available at the Hardee's Restaurant, right across the street from one of the North 40 gates.

It's also available at Pick N Save, a block away.

The ice gator is a Vintage Aircraft only operation. But it will sell to anybody down in the Vintage parking area (not just staff/volunteers). If you haven't seen it in a while, pop over to operations (little building across the road from the Hangar cafe and ask them to send it to you).

Last edited:
Can't be too frequent, 'cuz I don't think I've ever seen it!

Troy, on-site you can certainly get ice in the camp stores, but those are all down by Scholler, opposite pretty much the whole show from the North 40! An easier option is probably to either take the bus or walk to Target. There's also a BP station on the corner of 20th and South Park right near the north 40: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=BP&hl...=cifcxNgg05nG4_rFIRihzA&cbp=12,142.51,,0,0.52

That's the Hilton you see on the left, and if it worked properly you should see the approach end of runway 9 in the overhead view.

That BP location is great, Kent!! Beer & Ice! ;-)

Here's what Convention HQ sent me to my questions about payment methods for camping, and ice:

1. The fee is per campsite, so basically it means per plane, per night.

a. All 3 (cash, check and credit cards) are accepted for camping fees; as long as it has a Visa, MC, AM Ex or Discover logo, we can take it.

2. Ice is available. I don't know WHERE the ice will be yet, as the new camping guide has not arrived from the printer yet. When you arrive, you can get a camping guide at check-in and it will help answer those types of questions for you.

Back