I have seen (My) Warbird Heaven

Keith Lane

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Keith Lane
This week I had the rare opportunity to work in Granite Falls, Minnesota (Brrr) on another train test. All went so well on the testing, that we got done a day earlier than expected. Our client is building a Rans light plane, and we of course talked planes constantly. As it turns out a local guy in Granite Falls is Ron Fagen, who is well known in the area for his company's construction and engineering of ethanol production plants. He also, is an airplane nut on a scale few people will ever know. Ron owns and flies a P-51, a P-40E, an Extra 300 and a P-38 Lightning. Thursday morning before returning to MSP for our return to ATL, we took a ride out to the airport (which he apparently built) and just "dropped in". The lady in the office (Deb) was incredibly nice and she opened up Ron's hangar, flipped on the lights, and just let us wander around like she had known us all our lives taking pictures for as long as we wanted. In another hangar, a few guys were modifying a jig for building complete P-40 wings. They had originally built the jig using only a right wing, which was all they had at the time, and mirrored it for the left wing. Now they have acquired a complete wing from a crashed P-40 in Russia and have it in their jig and were making small adjustments in order to fabricate complete wings from scratch. There were at least three fuselages, and as you can see in the pictures he has quite a collection of engines. I cannot overstate how friendly and welcoming everybody was at the Fagen operation. We were made to feel as though we came by all the time and there was absolutely no hint that we in any way a bother. See the pics, and try not to drool on your keyboard.

Attachments

• Fagen 1.JPG
    Fagen 1.JPG
    475 KB · Views: 97
  • Fagen 2.JPG
    Fagen 2.JPG
    470 KB · Views: 76
  • Fagen 3.JPG
    Fagen 3.JPG
    466.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Fagen 4.JPG
    Fagen 4.JPG
    478.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Fagen 5.JPG
    Fagen 5.JPG
    484.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Fagen 6.JPG
    Fagen 6.JPG
    482.6 KB · Views: 76
  • Fagen 7.JPG
    Fagen 7.JPG
    474.7 KB · Views: 49
  • Fagen 8.JPG
    Fagen 8.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 58
  • Fagen 10.JPG
    Fagen 10.JPG
    486 KB · Views: 85
  • Fagen 11.JPG
    Fagen 11.JPG
    479.7 KB · Views: 80
  • Fagen 12.JPG
    Fagen 12.JPG
    482.4 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
I stopped talking mid sentence when I saw those photos. That's absolutely amazing.

Cool P-38:blueplane:

Deb told us an interesting story about that P-38.
The pilot's name on the fuselage is that of a WWII vet who flew one. It (probably) is marked with his squadron designations as well. The veteran passed away recently, and at the graveside service it was arranged for a high speed low pass, which was caught on video for his family. Deb said the sound of those two engines screaming by brought tears to all who witnessed it. I'll bet it did.

I get a little teary eyed thinking about what a tribute it must have been.

Lately, I've been dropping in on warbird restorers and owners every chance I get. Now I guess I'll have to find my way to Granite Falls!

I have the highest respect for anyone who is willing to invest in the restoration and preservation of these historical and engineering treasures. Hopefully, I'll be able to do the same someday.

Thanks for sharing!

Thats awesome! It reminds me of One Six Right and Dwayne O'Brien's "People Places and planes." It must be a lot of work but also a lot of pride to hold such a fleet. I'm actually impressed at how clean the place looks too, not your typical hanger! hehe

Deb told us an interesting story about that P-38.
The pilot's name on the fuselage is that of a WWII vet who flew one. It (probably) is marked with his squadron designations as well. The veteran passed away recently, and at the graveside service it was arranged for a high speed low pass, which was caught on video for his family. Deb said the sound of those two engines screaming by brought tears to all who witnessed it. I'll bet it did.

I get a little teary eyed thinking about what a tribute it must have been.
What a tribute!

That's nothing. It looks just like my bedroom in 1969. Except they were in 1:48 scale and put together with Testers glue. :)

That's nothing. It looks just like my bedroom in 1969. Except they were in 1:48 scale and put together with Testers glue. :)

Monogram had quite a series of 1:48 model aircraft, didn't they? All the major carrier based planes, P-40, P-38, ME-109E, FW-190, etc. The amazing thing was that they didn't include the P-51 in that collection. But, they had a 1:32 scale P-51, both with regular skins and a second "Visible Mustang" that sat on a mounting pylon with remote control for gear, prop and bombs off the wing hard points. Yeah, I built them all, too. :p

I work for the Fagen's and I can say that everything they do is first class. If you get a chance to see a P38 or P40 up close take it because it will probably be the only time you get the chance. They also own jets. We fly out to jobsites right from our backyard.

The Fagens bit over 60% of the ethanol production in the US over the last 8 years. We really focus on green energy projects and are currently building the largets Biomass power plant in the US.

Granite Falls, MN is about 3,000 people and to have three rares warbirds sitting 2-miles from town is unreal!

Oh
My
God.

Lucky you. What a hangar!!!!

I'm thinking that a cool Fly Baby tour would be include Granite Falls and Little Falls to visit Lindbergh's home.

That P-38 is "Ruff Stuff". Fagen brought it to OSH in '07 fresh from the paint shop following restoration. So fresh, in fact, they painted the nose art after it arrived at Airventure.
Love the airplanes, really respect effort involved in the restoration, but when they put so much time and money into it, I wish they'd get the national markings (star-and-bars) proportioned correctly.

Ron Wanttaja

Back