How to become a lawyer

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Ok - so I just finished my last class for my BS. Whoop - I feel a bunch smarter now.

I want to get my law degree next.

How does one go from a BS in Computer Science (Software Engineering) to a law degree? I don't know where to begin.

I'd love some advice...

Take the LSAT, and start applying. That's about it.

Check the law schools you are thinking about, and make certain you have taken all their required prerequisites. Other than that, what David said. Take the LSAT, and apply. And yes, be ready to fork over lots of cash for a few years. The schools will likely have information on financial aid and where you can get it.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/law-rankings is a ranking of ABA approved law schools. Most seem to range $35,000 to $50,000 per year.

I am currently attending a law school that is not ABA approved. That means I can only take the bar exam in Massachusetts or Connecticut when I finish next year. After I pass Mass or CT, I can take the bar in another handful of states. Since I'm almost 50 years old, I couldn't justify spending $100,000 to $150,000 on a degree that I'll only use for fifteen or twenty years. Tuition at my school is $12,000/year part time or $15,000 full time, so I'll end up spending under $50,000 all in.

By the way, my CS degree didn't help me at all.

I take it law school is expensive as hell?

Depends on the school. Really. If you go to a top-tier school like Duke, Georgetown, UVA, GW, etc. it will cost much money - $100K+ at some schools. There are other good schools (with less lofty reputations) that cost less.

The question you need to ask yourself first is "what am I going to do with the degree?" That will help decide where to go.

For example, if your aim is to become a partner at a top-tier law firm, you'd be looking at top-tier schools. If you just want to be an ol' country lawyer, a good state school should suffice. If it's politics you're after, perhaps criminal law would be in order... :D (that, of course, is a joke referring to the recent corruption cases involving pols)

A big part of law school for large firms, some corporations, and politics (just like MBA programs) is the contacts you make and the alumni network. Large firms are all about "making rain" - politics are the equivalent. If that's your goal, schools that provide the best high-level alumni networks ought to get a hard look. And they generally cost $$$ to match (figuring that their programs are worth more income to the grads).

There are plenty of smaller, less well-known schools (like George Mason) that provide a good education for less money. Those would be fine for folks that will be staff attornies in a corporate legal department and/or government agency.

Still, most graduate programs - MBA, law school, MS, etc are not cheap.

Figure out what you want to do, then figure out the costs.

Well,

I'm looking at possibly NCCU at ~$7000 a year, and located about an hour's drive away. They offer a part-time evening program. Might be worthwhile.

What I want to do? I want to go into court and smack down my opposition. Doesn't matter at what level.

Well,

I'm looking at possibly NCCU at ~$7000 a year, and located about an hour's drive away. They offer a part-time evening program. Might be worthwhile.

That's a reasonable price. Keep in mind that you'll have to get books (they're expensive, and you can't rely on old ones because the law changes pretty regularly), and factor in gas. I'd say something like $10K/yr. Regardless, that seems reasonable to me.

Also, what I've found is that it doesn't really matter where you go. You get the same education everywhere. Seriously.

What I want to do? I want to go into court and smack down my opposition. Doesn't matter at what level.

Here's what I'd recommend: take some vaykay and go watch a few days of criminal court down at the local courthouse (is it embarassing that I have no idea of where in Winston-Vegas it is?).

If you still are interested after that, go for it. :yes:

Definitely get some real world exposure. Many law schools get more applicants than they have slots, and have to weed some out. In my genetics program our biggest weed out criterion is lack of experience, and I know that it is similar in Vet and Med programs as well.

A question to ask first is "Why do you want to become a lawyer?"

The other thing about real world exposure: a lot of people go to law school without having any idea of what being a lawyer involves. We were talking about this in passing the other day - most of the people we went to law school aren't doing anything with their law degree.

So make sure it's something that you really are interested in before you start signing checks!

Feel free to PM me, I'm always around to give questionable advice. :)

Keep in mind that you'll have to get books (they're expensive, and you can't rely on old ones because the law changes pretty regularly), and factor in gas. I'd say something like $10K/yr. Regardless, that seems reasonable to me.

I've found most of my books are available used through amazon. The big problem is when you don't know which book they're using until the class starts. Sometimes shipping takes a couple of weeks.

If it helps, New Mexico had a cool program when I was younger called "Teen Court."

As a high school student, I volunteered (for credit in HS) as a "lawyer," in which I either defended or prosecuted real cases for first time offenders under 18 years of age. The punishments included in these cases were limited to the following:

1. Jury Duty
2. Community Service
3. Some JD time, limited to 3 or 5 days (can't remember which)
4. Any combination of the above

As a lawyer, I was given a "dossier" a few weeks ahead of time and was given full authority to call witnesses, gather and enter evidence, and subpoena police officers.

The judge for these cases was a juvenile lawyer.

I enjoyed it, and had a very good record too, including a case I prosecuted in which before the case started, I tried to offer dismissal but the judge denied, and I still wound up winning the case.

It was a great experience, and I'd love to do something like that full-time some day.

The judge for these cases was a juvenile lawyer.

I've met a number of juvenile lawyers in my lifetime. ;)

(Spike: Not directed at you. In our phone conversation, apparently you missed "act like an adolescent" day in Law School.) :rofl: :rofl:

:)

I've met a number of juvenile lawyers in my lifetime. ;)

(Spike: Not directed at you. In our phone conversation, apparently you missed "act like an adolescent" day in Law School.) :rofl: :rofl:

:)

Are you sure that's a "day"? I thought that was 2L

It was a great experience, and I'd love to do something like that full-time some day.
It takes almost as much luck as for an inner-city kid to make it as a pro athlete. I know a guy who was a sysadmin, working for FrameMaker even before Apple bought them. He's got his own law practice now, which does not even pay for its website hosting. He still works for Apple. It used to be that your future were assured if you got into a firm, with a path to become a partner. Not anymore.

Just go get a job with your CS degree and enjoy the money. Being a lawyer is the same as being a pro pilot, both ego driven with the promise of big money.

Just go get a job with your CS degree and enjoy the money. Being a lawyer is the same as being a pro pilot, both ego driven with the promise of big money.

I have a very, very good job (didn't need the CS degree...undergrad degrees are a joke).

Being a lawyer would be something I would do on the side or possibly as a career replacement if the opportunity came.

I'm almost 30. I don't want to be 50 later and wish I'd gone a different direction...

Just start your own frat house. You offer selective membership. They pay you to join. You smack down a whole new crop every year. Win win

Just start your own frat house. You offer selective membership. They pay you to join. You smack down a whole new crop every year. Win win

The entire legal profession is a fear house! From the street lawyers, to the DAs, to the Judges, and on up to Congress. ;)

Idaho, WA, OR, even my old home town in central CA was full of those folks who moved to the place after looking at the glossy brochure.

IOW, visiting a place is not the same as living in that place.

Idaho, WA, OR, even my old home town in central CA was full of those folks who moved to the place after looking at the glossy brochure.

IOW, visiting a place is not the same as living in that place.

Funny thing is a lot of those back to earth types have law degrees they don't use.:rofl:

Step 1 take the LSAT

Step 0 take an LSAT prep course and study/prepare like hell. A good LSAT and good undergrad grades will give YOU options. Having only one might result in you having to settle going to a school that might not fit your future use of the law degree. Bill has it right....go where they're known for teaching what you want to do, where you want to do it.

Funny thing is a lot of those back to earth types have law degrees they don't use.:rofl:
I call 'em "One year wonders". They be back to the city after the first winter.

In Cambria we called them "Cambria causalties". They come in and build fantastic homes. A year later those homes are for sell. The Realtors love them.

What is a "Fear House"?

Well, it is Halloween. Or he has an iDevice with a frelled up spell checker

Frat. Frat. Frat. Frat.

There, now I've trained my iPhone to leave that word alone. ;)

Nick. I always think more education is a good thing, but this goal is rather nebulous, and probably purely ego driven. This is a large investment in time, and money. Think about alternatives that will put you and your family in a better position, as well as satisfying what you want to accomplish. I think it is admirable to work full time, and go to school. I did my grad school at night, and weekends when working full time, so I know what a grind it can be.

I am not trying to dissuade you from law school. If that is what YOU really want, go for it, but also weigh alternative options for your time, money, and family.

That effort and resources could buy and fly a whole lot of stuff.

Consider taking some business law classes at the nearest college. They are good fundamentals for law school (or were for me), there's no entrance requirement (in most cases) and they provide good business training whether or not you decide to go to law school.

Well,

Nick, first thing is take every episode of "law and order", "LA Law", "Perry Mason" and " Boston Legal" and wipe it from your mind. Good law is not about "smacking down your opposition" There is very little smacking down that goes on"

The other thing about real world exposure: a lot of people go to law school without having any idea of what being a lawyer involves. We were talking about this in passing the other day - most of the people we went to law school aren't doing anything with their law degree.

So make sure it's something that you really are interested in before you start signing checks!

Ding Ding Ding

I have a very, very good job (didn't need the CS degree...undergrad degrees are a joke).

Being a lawyer would be something I would do on the side or possibly as a career replacement if the opportunity came.

I'm almost 30. I don't want to be 50 later and wish I'd gone a different direction...

Nick belive me, being a lawyer is not something that you do on the side. If you want to go to law school for the intellectual challange go ahead but also be aware that law school teaches you nothing about being a lawyer,. Also keep in mind that the legal profession has been hit hard by the recession, jobs are very tough to comeby yet law schools are profit centers for universities so they keep churning out the students. Come spend a week with me. I do a decent amount of litigation and it may give you a better taste of what really happens.

That said if your set on it and don't want the advice then take the LSATs and apply.

I'm in law school. I was able to work during my undergrad and MBA; if I work during 1L, my life would have been difficult. There is a reason the ABA doesn't want 1L working and most school prohibit it during 1L.

I choose to go to law school because it was a personal goal and don't regret it one bit. Just know why you're going because you're going to question it at one point, or twenty.

Back