How to approach CFII/MEL/MEI

Revtach

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Revtach
Hello,

I am a lowly ASEL CFI. I would like to get both my CFII and CMEL, and perhaps the MEI.

I'd like to get some opinions on the best way to approach this. I'd like to be cost efficient.

I'm thinking about getting the CMEL knocked out, and then getting the CFII/MEI done together after that. Seems like it might be difficult to train for both ratings at the same time and take a CFII checkride in a multi.

Some say to get the CFII done before any CMEL training since you have to demonstrate instrument proficiency on the CMEL test and I am not instrument proficient right now.

All opinions are welcome. Thank you.

For "immediate" cost efficiency, then yes, do your CFII in a single and go on from there.

But if you're also trying to maximize your multi time (for a job, for example), then there is an argument to do it all in the twin. Yes, it will cost more to get all your ratings, but probably not more than if you did it the first way, THEN just rented to get to the same number of multi hours.

For example, for your ATP you need 50 multi. If you did the CFII in a single, then the CMEL and MEI, maybe you now have 20 multi and need to get 30 more somehow. But if you did them all in the multi, maybe you end with 30 multi, and only have to get 20 more. You kind of "double-dipped".

Just need to include that factor in your decision. Also, remember you need 15 hours PIC in class to be eligible to be an instructor.

For "immediate" cost efficiency, then yes, do your CFII in a single and go on from there.

But if you're also trying to maximize your multi time (for a job, for example), then there is an argument to do it all in the twin. Yes, it will cost more to get all your ratings, but probably not more than if you did it the first way, THEN just rented to get to the same number of multi hours.

For example, for your ATP you need 50 multi. If you did the CFII in a single, then the CMEL and MEI, maybe you now have 20 multi and need to get 30 more somehow. But if you did them all in the multi, maybe you end with 30 multi, and only have to get 20 more. You kind of "double-dipped".

Just need to include that factor in your decision. Also, remember you need 15 hours PIC in class to be eligible to be an instructor.

Those are my thoughts. If I'm going to get the MEI I might as well combine the training. The savings would probably be like $2000?

I'm not totally sure I want to get the MEI though. If I can get hired by a 135 with less than 10 hours multi then I'd just do that. I'd like to get some 135 time in before moving on to the airlines anyway.

I'll think about it.

Those are my thoughts. If I'm going to get the MEI I might as well combine the training. The savings would probably be like $2000?

I'm not totally sure I want to get the MEI though. If I can get hired by a 135 with less than 10 hours multi then I'd just do that. I'd like to get some 135 time in before moving on to the airlines anyway.

I'll think about it.
Having an MEI opens up a WHOLE lot of doors, though. At least it did for me. Whether that helps you build you multi time or provides you a fallback during the next hiring slowdown/furloughs, I think it's 100% worth it.

I would do CFII and then to the Comm AMEL and MEI back to back. They are the same checkride, but different seat.

Back in my day a commercial certificate was required before any flight instructor certificate, has that changed.??

Back in my day a commercial certificate was required before any flight instructor certificate, has that changed.??

You can get a CFI-SP without a Commercial.

No, nothing has changed (except for the SP option). What brings up the question?

You can get a CFI-SP without a Commercial.
Ok, thanks. SP came about after my day... :lol:

What brings up the question?
Apparently reading comprehension. I read the question as should I get CFI or Commercial first. I got it now.

I knew some folks that got CFII and MEI together, not separately. Seems to me that it took them about the same time that took me to just get the CFII.

Hello,

I am a lowly ASEL CFI. I would like to get both my CFII and CMEL, and perhaps the MEI.

I'd like to get some opinions on the best way to approach this. I'd like to be cost efficient.

I'm thinking about getting the CMEL knocked out, and then getting the CFII/MEI done together after that. Seems like it might be difficult to train for both ratings at the same time and take a CFII checkride in a multi.

Some say to get the CFII done before any CMEL training since you have to demonstrate instrument proficiency on the CMEL test and I am not instrument proficient right now.

All opinions are welcome. Thank you.
Mr. lowly ASEL CFI,

Here are some facts that might weigh on your decisions.

1. You may not log any of the CMEL flight training as PIC time because you are not rated in the aircraft. 61.51(e)(1)(i)
2. You are required to have 15 hours PIC in category and class to qualify for the MEI. 61.183(j)
3. After you obtain the MEI- you need 5 hours in each make and model you instruct a student. 61.195(f)
4. Not many flight schools will employ you as a MEI at such low experience .
5. You are further limited if you don’t have a CFI-I.

For the instrument,
1. Generally, you can complete most of the IFR currency in a FTD such as a Redbird. 61.57(d)(2).
2. You are required to log ground and flight training from an authorized instructor, but the regulations do not specify how much. 61.87(a)(7).
3. You are required to pass FII written test. 61.183(f)
4. You are required to pass the practical test. 61.183(h)

I’d break out the books and get yourself to the instruction knowledge level before spending a nickel on the flight side.

Back