How do perform short field landings for practical test

FinalApproach

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
FinalApproach
I am flying in a 1980 C172. I can not understand the correct way to perform a short-field landing.

The short-field approach procedure outlined in my POH says to do this:

"For a short field landing in smooth air conditions, make an approach at 61 KIAS with 30° flaps using enough power to control the glide path. (Slightly higher approach speeds should be used under turbulent air conditions.) After all approach obstacles are cleared, progressively reduce power and maintain the approach speed by lowering the nose of the airplane. Touchdown should be made with power off and on the main wheels first. Immediately after touchdown, lower the nose wheel and apply heavy braking as required. For maximum brake effectiveness, retract the flaps, hold the control wheel full back, and apply maximum brake pressure without sliding the tires."

Yet, I watched some videos on youtube from Embry Riddle that showed that the plane should maintain a constant glidepath down to the runway after clearing a 50 ft obstacle. That video instructs pilots to progressively reduce power while pitching up to maintain a constant glide path after clearing the obstacle. The airplane flying handbook has graphics showing the same kind of glide path.

Both techniques say to begin progressively reducing power after clearing the obstacle. The POH says to then lower the pitch to maintain airspeed (61 knots) until it's time to flare (when entering ground effect). Embry-Riddle says to raise the pitch to maintain glidepath down to your touchdown point, which effectively means you are incorporating the flare into your descent down to the runway. The ACS wants pilots to maintain a stabilized approach and for "minimum float" prior to touchdown.

I drew a picture that shows what your glidepath would look like utilizing either technique. Both techniques seem to get you at the same touchdown point, so does it matter which technique you use?

Short-Field Landing.png
Glidepath 1 is what embry riddle, the AFH, and ACS seem to want you to do.
Glidepath 2 is what the POH seems to want you to do.

Doesn't the POH override the ACS and AFH? Which is the correct technique then?

When doing a short-field landing, is it fair to say that my aiming point and touchdown point are the same point? For a normal landing I aim about 500 feet prior to my touchdown point. But for the short field it looks like you are supposed to touch down where you are aiming. Correct?

As a practical matter, I don't think there is much difference between the two. Most pilots are "workin' it" all the way down with elevator and throttle jockeying. Now, if you've got the older Cessna with the 40 degree flaps, then you can do some spectacular short field work, but it takes a completely different technique.

In the far back of beyond, they have a saying: the shorter the field, the longer the final. What they're really saying is that for a true short, short field landing, you're going to set up way out because you're gonna be behind the power curve for most of the trip in. It takes a while to stabilize the sink rate with power as you hold a nosehigh attitude. Last week I worked my Bushcat down to 35 mph with a 10 degree nose up while carrying 2000-2500 rpm (geared rotax). I landed at a walk. But I'd been SOL if the money burner quit. Don't do that on your test. check YT for Backcountry 182 for some pretty spectacular shortfield work.

My first question would be, which of those more closely resembles your normal landing technique? For reference, I’m a “runway made, power idle, and lower the nose to maintain speed until it’s time to arrest the descent” guy on normal landings.

The next question would be, if doing exactly the same thing with a lower initial airspeed will result in a shorter touchdown point (with minimal float), is there a good reason to change technique completely simply because you’re trying to land shorter?

I am flying in a 1980 C172. I can not understand the correct way to perform a short-field landing.

The short-field approach procedure outlined in my POH says to do this:

"For a short field landing in smooth air conditions, make an approach at 61 KIAS with 30° flaps using enough power to control the glide path. (Slightly higher approach speeds should be used under turbulent air conditions.) After all approach obstacles are cleared, progressively reduce power and maintain the approach speed by lowering the nose of the airplane. Touchdown should be made with power off and on the main wheels first. Immediately after touchdown, lower the nose wheel and apply heavy braking as required. For maximum brake effectiveness, retract the flaps, hold the control wheel full back, and apply maximum brake pressure without sliding the tires."

Yet, I watched some videos on youtube from Embry Riddle that showed that the plane should maintain a constant glidepath down to the runway after clearing a 50 ft obstacle. That video instructs pilots to progressively reduce power while pitching up to maintain a constant glide path after clearing the obstacle. The airplane flying handbook has graphics showing the same kind of glide path.

Both techniques say to begin progressively reducing power after clearing the obstacle. The POH says to then lower the pitch to maintain airspeed (61 knots) until it's time to flare (when entering ground effect). Embry-Riddle says to raise the pitch to maintain glidepath down to your touchdown point, which effectively means you are incorporating the flare into your descent down to the runway. The ACS wants pilots to maintain a stabilized approach and for "minimum float" prior to touchdown.

I drew a picture that shows what your glidepath would look like utilizing either technique. Both techniques seem to get you at the same touchdown point, so does it matter which technique you use?

View attachment 131388
Glidepath 1 is what embry riddle, the AFH, and ACS seem to want you to do.
Glidepath 2 is what the POH seems to want you to do.

Doesn't the POH override the ACS and AFH? Which is the correct technique then?

When doing a short-field landing, is it fair to say that my aiming point and touchdown point are the same point? For a normal landing I aim about 500 feet prior to my touchdown point. But for the short field it looks like you are supposed to touch down where you are aiming. Correct?
The short field task for the practical test is not over a 50 ft. obstacle. It is just a short field landing.

To perform a short field for the private in calm wind, the key is choosing an aim point 50 ft -75 ft ahead (in front) of your desired touch down point, having a stabilized approach and managing energy. Both Airspeed and altitude is energy.

Trim the plane for 60 KIAS and descend using power to arrive not more than 4 ft. above your aim point. You then smoothly reduce the power and land. You are permitted to extend your downwind leg a small distance to give you more time to set up a stabilized approach.

The safest way to practice this solo is to select the aim point markings on the runway as your touch down point and to use the center stripes for distance. If you come up short, you are still over hard surface.

Last edited:
Good luck OP.
I bet you will do fine.

The POH gives you procedures. The others give you techniques. Follow the procedures and learn the techniques that give you the best results.
So true as I really learned them after I got my PPL. On my own early on and discovered what techniques worked for me and my plane. I have 40°of flaps in my 172. Love the 40 flaps.

I was gonna say, I pretty much do a short field landing every time I land. I already have my set of brakes on my work bench. My tires wear like steel. lol
I used to fly with a guy whose short field technique was turning a 3-mile final at under 350 feet, fully configured, minimum speed, wheels between the REILs, and touch down twice as far down the runway as his normal landing.

We have trees at both ends of our runway, got to get pretty close to the tops on approach when your looking to land short. My buddy in his arrow has to get close as we only have 2800' runway. 3 times what I need for a 172, not so much with his arrow or my other friends moony. I think I mostly fly the #2 example above in my floaty 172.

Just had a local incident where the pilot was doing a short field landing while at the same time hitting the numbers. Came up a bit short, which is usually okay….unless the runway is 8 inches taller than the ground you’re landing on.

We have trees at both ends of our runway, got to get pretty close to the tops on approach when your looking to land short. My buddy in his arrow has to get close as we only have 2800' runway. 3 times what I need for a 172, not so much with his arrow or my other friends moony. I think I mostly fly the #2 example above in my floaty 172.
I

You really need to get out an Arrow POH. I landed Mooneys and Arrows into a 2000 ft runway over an obstacle all the time without an issue, taking off on a hot day is where you need to be concerned.

Last edited:
Back