How do perform short field landings for practical test

Care to explain?
If you understand ground effect, the closer the wing to the surface, the less induced drag the aircraft has. If you fly the plane correctly, the high wing vs the low wing is less prone to float not more prone to float.

Float during a landing is a product of excessive energy. The energy can be airspeed, altitude or both.

Last edited:
Power off 180 is very much real life. Ask me how I know.
A power off 180 in the test the engine is fully functional, you are never in real danger aka can go around.

I do wish all my engine failures would occur when I am in the pattern, at mid field.

Also power off 180 is NOT the 'impossible turn'.

Most of the performance maneuvers in the commercial test are a joke.... but the FAA has to have SOMETHING to test you on. The short field portion of having to hit a 200ft section is also laughable. My ADM tells me if I have to be that specific then I've made a huge mistake and should find a better spot. Yes, I understand than an emergency situation can arise at any time and that alone does not make the ACS requirement valid.

If you understand ground effect, the closer the wing to the surface, the less induced drag the aircraft has. If you fly the plane correctly, the high wing vs the low wing is less prone to float not more prone to float.

Float during a landing is a product of excessive energy. The energy can be airspeed, altitude or both.
This, precisely. The bolded sums up the entire thread.

IMO as a very green student pilot, the short field landing is a bit like standing on a bowling ball....but the point of doing it is to force you to learn the energy relationship so that you become more consistent and controlled in your approach and landing.

And not being able to touch down where you want to is the primary method that airplanes are destroyed in my corner of aviation.
Bad decisions are a bigger part of accidents than you will admit. Remember the holes in the swiss cheese only line up because poor decisions made them. I'll tell you now that if the runway is obstructed, or length is an issue, I am NOT going to depend on my accuracy... to many things can go wrong.. a gust, a thermal, an animal, another aircraft etc etc etc.

Of course the interwebsis full of Bob Hoover wannabe's.... I'm not one of them.

Can I land within the 200ft like the FAA says? Sure... I've done it a few times and even had a DPE there to show them in person. But real life I'm a first third of the runway kinda guy (after I determine landing performance)

Bad decisions are a bigger part of accidents than you will admit. Remember the holes in the swiss cheese only line up because poor decisions made them. I'll tell you now that if the runway is obstructed, or length is an issue, I am NOT going to depend on my accuracy... to many things can go wrong.. a gust, a thermal, an animal, another aircraft etc etc etc.

Of course the interwebsis full of Bob Hoover wannabe's.... I'm not one of them.

Can I land within the 200ft like the FAA says? Sure... I've done it a few times and even had a DPE there to show them in person. But real life I'm a first third of the runway kinda guy (after I determine landing performance)
So how much do you add to the book landing distance before you land on a runway?

@FinalApproach you need to be having this back & forth with your CFI. At this point, the internet thing is counterproductive.

Do you realize that some of the people on this thread are not CFIs, me included?

There is obviously something amiss when this pretty simple task is 6 pages long. You’re going to mix stuff up that you hear and confuse yourself, or worse, hurt yourself or damage stuff.

You might be my age or even older, don’t know how old you are, but what I told my now adult kids is - how do you know that the other person on the internet is not out to screw you up for fun? Some of these guys on POA are great real people in person, but how do YOU know that? Takeaway: ask your fkn CFI even if it means paying for 1 hour to sit in a classroom, draw it out, and play with a toy plane.

Back