How an idiot props an airplane

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
It started out at the Self service Avgas pump.

A guy fueled his Cherokee, but knew he had a dead battery. Pushed the plane back, hopped in, primed the engine, left the throttle half open, mags on, and got back out.

Gave the prop a swift swing, and the engine fired right up. Right up to around 1800rpm I guess.

The plane took off, straight for the fuel farm.

Fortunately, the prop hit this concrete filled steel post, designed for this very situation: to keep **** from running into the fuel tanks.

Here's what happened next: Prop hit the post, and the crankshaft sheared right of the engine, sending the prop, hub and spinner flying like you only see in cartoons, landing on the roof of a hangar, about 150 yards away.

And no, this did not buff right out. Plane was sold for $400 on the spot, and parted out and sold on eBay.

With today's medical expertise and knowledge, we can fix a lot of things. Stupid is not one of them. Guy had no insurance, and was under scrutiny of the FAA for running another plane out of fuel, and landing it on highway 41 in Ft Myers I believe. He should just quit flying all together..

Attachments

• stupid 1.jpg
    stupid 1.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 143
  • stupid 2.jpg
    stupid 2.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 128
  • stupid 3.jpg
    stupid 3.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 143
  • stupid 4.jpg
    stupid 4.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 141
  • stupid 5.jpg
    stupid 5.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 153
  • stupid 6.jpg
    stupid 6.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 147
  • stupid 7.jpg
    stupid 7.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
That kind of behavior warrants an emergency revocation in my book. He put his own and other lives at risk, deliberately.

Just re-enforces what I have said about God loves stupid people, cause he has made a bunch of them.

DAMNED glad no one was hit by that prop AND that the post was there!:yes: And what's with that windshield? Almost looks opaque!

Heh, heh, heh, heh. heh, ..hh..hh.hhh.hey Beavis if that post wasn't there we wouldda blowed up real good, huh?

How much you wanna bet that $400 plane hasn't seen a real mechanic in a decade, much less had an annual?

Uh.... Is this the type of prop strike that requires an engine inspection?:goofy::D

One assumes the FSDO has been informed of this latest escapade.

I have no clue, it came to me in an E-mail.

But he sure as He-- wasn't at idle..

I bet that made a big noise, not just a 'clunk'!

Anyone want to analyze the forces and kinetics of the prop/crank flange departing the airplane and traveling so far, for me? Kinda curious.

....sigh..... I wish there was a line item on the medical for "congenital idiocy......."

Hey, come on now. You gotta give the guy some credit...he got real good distance out of that thing.

He's probably kicking himself for paying for fuel before destroying the aircraft. I mean, had he not bought self serve fuel, he could have saved....$140....about the cost of a BATTERY!

Pilots can be really dumb cheapskates....

DAMNED glad no one was hit by that prop AND that the post was there!:yes: And what's with that windshield? Almost looks opaque!

I'm guessing that's engine fluids sprayed across it....because it looks like dried liquid.

That guy is mo-def a moran.

Didn't even chock it... sigh.
Not that chocks would guarantee anything, but... sigh.

There are a couple of things that bother me about this incident.

1 If he were leaving the gas pump area, why was the aircraft still headed toward the pumps? Wouldn't you turn it around?

2 If he hand propped it with open throttle why didn't eat him too? the aircraft should have lunged forward and ate him alive.

To take it a step forward, what would you have done different?

Um, called the FBO to bring out the battery cart or stood on the brakes while someone who knows what they're doing propped it for me?

Um, called the FBO to bring out the battery cart or stood on the brakes while someone who knows what they're doing propped it for me?
If you have a battery cart why hand prop?

Sorry... meant to say only hand prop if no battery cart available. If a plane has an electric starter, hand-propping should only be a LAST RESORT!

the problem with a completely dead battery is, once the airplane is running, the a/c charging circuit is taking the entire duty of recharging the battery and whatever other loads have been selected by the pilot.
So in the ideal situation you would replace the dead battery with a good one or get a charge (outside the airplane) before reinstalling the battery and carrying on. If there is any hope for the battery. If it is beyond salvage then go back to the battery replacement above.

If the battery will swing the prop a few times (is not completely depleted) I am willing to accept the risk of a 'jump'. Completely dead, in most cases I can't see jumping it (or handpropping it).

the problem with a completely dead battery is, once the airplane is running, the a/c charging circuit is taking the entire duty of recharging the battery and whatever other loads have been selected by the pilot.
So in the ideal situation you would replace the dead battery with a good one or get a charge (outside the airplane) before reinstalling the battery and carrying on. If there is any hope for the battery. If it is beyond salvage then go back to the battery replacement above.

If the battery will swing the prop a few times (is not completely depleted) I am willing to accept the risk of a 'jump'. Completely dead, in most cases I can't see jumping it (or handpropping it).

I jumped mine with the car using Piper plug cables a few times - even alone - before I finally replaced the battery. A non-event. No, I never left the cockpit with the engine running. I few minutes at high idle to warm the oil and put in a basic charge, then shutdown. I could restart per normal after that and after a full charge by flying I was good for weeks.

My "problem" was I didn't have the imagination required form the mental picture that I could jump in while it's on the move like these guys. I suppose it seems reasonable when you've seen so many cowboys in the movies jump onto moving horses.

Umm, when did this happen? Judging by the windscreen on the plane I would say it has been quite a while since the plane had been flown.

As you, I have issues with the story, but to the point of this question, when solo hand propping, chocked, tail is tied, parking brake is set and plane is pointed into the clear, plus I use a lot less throttle, especially on a warm engine.

Umm, when did this happen? Judging by the windscreen on the plane I would say it has been quite a while since the plane had been flown.

To me it appears the pics were taken early morning with dew on the plane...

Jump to about 2:50 in the below video to see the condition that my grandpa and dad started the stearman for about 30 years:

It idled so damn slowly that it never moved anywhere with no brakes and nothing tied or chocked down. A little different than a Piper though.

• Pushed the plane back clear of the fueling area, and
  • Either:
    • Secured the tail with a tiedown and chocked it, or
    • Put a qualified pilot in the left seat.

How about just fix the stupid thing, you'll have to some day.

How about just fix the stupid thing, you'll have to some day.

Yeah, but sometimes you're f-ed and just need to get'er cranked up. It's not like the concept or proper practice of propping an engine up is unduely hazardous. Heck, I worked with one guy who had a Stearman with a 1340 and no electric system. Didn't even have a starter system (or generator) on it. Every start was a hand prop. The issue I see it that very few people are taught proper proceedure and technique.

Heck, I worked with one guy who had a Stearman with a 1340 and no electric system. Didn't even have a starter system (or generator) on it. Every start was a hand prop. The issue I see it that very few people are taught proper proceedure and technique.
That is how my family always did it. My grandpa refused to install any electrical system in either Stearman.

Back