How an idiot props an airplane

Yeah, but sometimes you're f-ed and just need to get'er cranked up. It's not like the concept or proper practice of propping an engine up is unduely hazardous. Heck, I worked with one guy who had a Stearman with a 1340 and no electric system. Didn't even have a starter system (or generator) on it. Every start was a hand prop. The issue I see it that very few people are taught proper proceedure and technique.

I can't think of a single situation in the lower 48 that is life threatining enough to require hand propping a PA 28.

We have cell phones, we can get help, parts, or a battery charge, and not have to place our selves in danger.

I can't think of a single situation in the lower 48 that is life threatining enough to require hand propping a PA 28.

We have cell phones, we can get help, parts, or a battery charge, and not have to place our selves in danger.

Well, at Diana's during a little fly in, Rudy's battery was dead (junk) and I propped him up with one pull, that got him home in the daylight so he didn't really need an electrical system. I don't see hand propping as something to only be used in life threatening situations, if it's more convienient to prop it up, I prop it. I've done it more times than I can recall, never had an incident with it.

I wouldn't do it since I've only read about it. I wouldn't say no one in the lower 48 shouldn't do it. Depends on their knowledge & where they are. There's quite a few places that getting it fixed would be pretty difficult at best. There' some pretty empty places in the midwest & it gets more empty a little further west.

Someplace around New Jersey, San Francisco Bay, or Seattle- I'd get it fixed since a mechanic is't that far away. Auther Municipal in NE? If I were with someone that really know what they were doing- let's start it up.

Back