Holland MI and Beaches Fly Over

rockwoodrv9a

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
rockwoodrv9a
On Saturday morning I skipped the EAA meeting and went for a fun flight from Mason MI to Holland MI - on Lake Michigan. I got some cool video and a couple nice still shots from my gopro 360. It isnt the greatest for distance video but I am amazed at the quality of a photo when you grab a frame from the video. The videos are a little boring - just flying. I dont know crap about editing. Maybe when I get my knee replaced and Im down for a bit I will figure it out!

Here is a video link. The best part is from 2:00 to about 4:00

N376E.jpg

I like flying from around South Haven to Ludington about 50' off the water at 150kts after the beach (and bird) season is over.

I like flying from around South Haven to Ludington about 50' off the water at 150kts after the beach (and bird) season is over.
I will have to give that a try. Maybe not that low but fast along the beach line sounds fun. It sure is a pretty place.

Holland is a beautiful town! I dropped some folks off there in a ce-550 one time. Driving through town tulips and windmills everywhere.

Nice footage! I know that area well. Parents live right by the lake.
And hey -- that's where my boat used to be docked until last yr! (anchorage marina)
1726539566321.png

Loads of fun. I like to follow the beaches at 1000 AGL and see how many beachgoers I can get with the shadow of the plane.

Nice footage! I know that area well. Parents live right by the lake.
And hey -- that's where my boat used to be docked until last yr! (anchorage marina)
View attachment 133611
You have a boat??? Where’s the invite?

Thanks for sharing. I've been toying with the idea of mounting a 360 cam to my plane!

You have a boat??? Where’s the invite?
*Had* a boat. Sold it in fall '22.
I like being on a boat but hated owning, maintaining and piloting it. Totally happy to be a pax :D
On occasion I do miss the sunset cruises (though I prefer the sunset views I get from the skies these days).
1726594937686.png
(outside the piers in holland)

That's clear video, but it needs some editing. Most of the video clip could have been a single still image. Pretty area and great plane, but I got that in the first 20 seconds.

That's clear video, but it needs some editing. Most of the video clip could have been a single still image. Pretty area and great plane, but I got that in the first 20 seconds.
You are right. I only uploaded it so my kids and grandkids could see it. The best thing was the picture I pulled out from the video. I do need to learn to edit and add sound. I have another camera in the cockpit to record video and audio but dont know how to blend the two. Im not trying to make myself into a youtube dude, just showing my family some flight footage.

You are right. I only uploaded it so my kids and grandkids could see it. The best thing was the picture I pulled out from the video. I do need to learn to edit and add sound. I have another camera in the cockpit to record video and audio but dont know how to blend the two. Im not trying to make myself into a youtube dude, just showing my family some flight footage.
Microsoft offers a free video editing program called Clipchamp. The free version has limited, but useful editing capability. If you really get interested in the process, Windows programs like Cyberlink Power Director are available. The best programs are naturally more expensive, but add lots of capability if you really get into the editing world. Basic skills are easy to learn and can be very satisfying. I don't know what is available for Apple systems, but they usually offer enhanced graphics capability. I would assume the same might be true for video editing, but that additional capability would likely come at an even higher cost.

Back