Hey young people, tell us what you can do!

Most use it incorrectly, too. It has become a word used to emphasize a point, not fitting the original definition and intent of the word. Personally, I mostly like to use cuss words to do my emphasizing!

My 13 y/o son is “literally” the worst offender I believe. I’ve given up trying to correct it. I’m a boomer according to him anyway since I’m over 30.

...when they should be saying 'figuratively'.

To be fair, some dictionaries now include the definition of literally that means figuratively. It got so bad we just accepted it, so it wouldn't be bad anymore.

Screenshot_20240911_184946_Google~2.jpg

Whether it’s figurative, hyperbole or informal, the over use of the word gives me a headache…in the literal sense.

Most use it incorrectly, too. It has become a word used to emphasize a point, not fitting the original definition and intent of the word.
To be fair, some dictionaries now include the definition of literally that means figuratively. It got so bad we just accepted it, so it wouldn't be bad anymore.

View attachment 133420
Literally literally doesn't even mean literally any more. Literally.
Personally, I mostly like to use cuss words to do my emphasizing!
Well I'd say ****ing instead of literally, but they filter it out! :D

If two people understand what is meant by a word doesn't that make it a word even if it's not in the dictionary? "Dumber" for instance. Who cares if its not a word in the dictionary or politically correct. I think the dumber person is the one telling me its not a word.

Back