Here we go again.

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
Today started pretty slow, wondering what to do, the XP deal went sour, the 182 owner didn't come back with a counter offer, so I was a little bummed.

Barb suggested we go see the kids on a rainy day. So off to AWO for the day.

While there I thought I'd make the rounds of old friends, stopped by a customers hangar and found he was selling his 150, nice aircraft but not what I want.

Next stop was to another A&P-IAs place of business, and guess what?

He has a 48 C-170 that his customer wants to sell as a project, I get to looking and fine that is is very clean in side and the instrument panel is not chopped up, the fuselage is straight, no big hangar rash anywhere, the engine has not been run or the aircraft has not been flown in 17 years.
The Cowl does not have any wrinkles or damage like it has every been up on its nose.
The engine us an up graded 0-300-D. but no vac pump, just the sideways starter, and a blank off plate. And it is a first run new engine from the factory in 1969. Yes it does need to be overhauled.

The prop is in the shop now getting overhauled, there are a set of new brake disks, wheels, and tires and tubes that have already been bought for the project.

Guess who is going to attack another 170 project ? I told the A&P-IA that I was a buyer if the numbers were right. we will know what they are on monday.

Forgive the crappy phone pictures.

Attachments

• DSCN3268.JPG
    DSCN3268.JPG
    221.8 KB · Views: 158
  • DSCN3270.JPG
    DSCN3270.JPG
    212.8 KB · Views: 117
  • DSCN3271.JPG
    DSCN3271.JPG
    224.4 KB · Views: 108
  • DSCN3272.JPG
    DSCN3272.JPG
    216.1 KB · Views: 105
  • DSCN3273.JPG
    DSCN3273.JPG
    212.1 KB · Views: 138
  • DSCN3275.JPG
    DSCN3275.JPG
    215 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCN3276.JPG
    DSCN3276.JPG
    207.7 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCN3277.JPG
    DSCN3277.JPG
    211.1 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
No luck involved, it's simply knowing which cherry to pick.

The luck is in the right number, and the sellers cooperation. I have every confidence that you will pick the right aircraft. But as you have demonstrated, purchasing it is not a given.

Last edited:
Wow....that is a hell of a markup. That particular '48 sold for over 10k less about 18 months ago and it was looking pretty sweet then.

How did you figure that out?

My information says the old boy will sell cheap, after he saw the estimate for the annual and repairs to get it flying again......

Good that your A&P/IA buddy was able to put together a high estimate to scare the guy into selling..:rolleyes:

Looks like a great project for you Tom.. I don't follow prices close but..... My guess is you can get it for 17,400..:dunno::dunno:

How did you figure that out?
I remember seeing that same photo of the airplane in flight in the previous ad. Also, the photos of the plane in front of the hangar look very much like the hangars at Gillespie Field (SEE) in El Cajon which is where the airplane was located when last sold. Look up of the N-number confirms that it was the same one that used to be based at SEE.

I remember it well, because the ad showed up in Barnstormers early last summer while my newly purchased '48 was still up at Chino bouncing between the paint shop and A&P fixing all of the pre-buy discreps. Drove me nuts for several reasons - It was my 'project plane' already restored (even the right factory paint scheme/color), it was located practically in my back yard (still living in San Diego at the time) and it was classic proof of your old addage that "you can buy better than you can build": I think he only wanted around $30k, possibly even a grand or two less than 30 (at that point I already had well over 30k in mine and still wasn't ready to fly). I was so ticked when I saw that ad. On the positive side, I am happy with mine and the one advantage of mine over that one is that mine is IFR vice the stock VFR panel in that one.

I remember seeing that same photo of the airplane in flight in the previous ad. Also, the photos of the plane in front of the hangar look very much like the hangars at Gillespie Field (SEE) in El Cajon which is where the airplane was located when last sold. Look up of the N-number confirms that it was the same one that used to be based at SEE.

I remember it well, because the ad showed up in Barnstormers early last summer while my newly purchased '48 was still up at Chino bouncing between the paint shop and A&P fixing all of the pre-buy discreps. Drove me nuts for several reasons - It was my 'project plane' already restored (even the right factory paint scheme/color), it was located practically in my back yard (still living in San Diego at the time) and it was classic proof of your old addage that "you can buy better than you can build": I think he only wanted around $30k, possibly even a grand or two less than 30 (at that point I already had well over 30k in mine and still wasn't ready to fly). I was so ticked when I saw that ad. On the positive side, I am happy with mine and the one advantage of mine over that one is that mine is IFR vice the stock VFR panel in that one.

WoW, I thought you knew how to look that stuff up on the internet.

Congrats Tom, I'm sure you'll polish it into a gem of a 170. Give me a yell sometime, I'll be happy to fly the Stearman or Cub up to BVS and bounce around the pattern with you, I make several trips to BLI anyway.

Mike-

Congrats Tom, I'm sure you'll polish it into a gem of a 170. Give me a yell sometime, I'll be happy to fly the Stearman or Cub up to BVS and bounce around the pattern with you, I make several trips to BLI anyway.

Mike-

When you are up this way give us a holler.

I must ask: what is that thing on the side of the plane that kind of looks like an old "Aoooogah" horn? It's in the first picture.

I must ask: what is that thing on the side of the plane that kind of looks like an old "Aoooogah" horn? It's in the first picture.

It generates vacuum when the airplane is flying to power the instruments. They work and are quite reliable but the downside is that it takes a minute or two for the gyros to spin up after you take off. Not good if you have a low ceiling or are taking off in fog. I suppose they could ice up as well.

Most modern aircraft have engine driven vacuum pumps.

Can't wait to watch you get this one into shape. Looks like a much easier project - I love that (as you note) the panel has not been chopped up.

170 is a naturally pretty airplane, too.

It generates vacuum when the airplane is flying to power the instruments. They work and are quite reliable but the downside is that it takes a minute or two for the gyros to spin up after you take off. Not good if you have a low ceiling or are taking off in fog. I suppose they could ice up as well.

And this one will too, before it flys again.

The nomenclature is "Venturi"

And this one will too, before it flys again.

The nomenclature is "Venturi"

And you have to be careful when you fiddle with one - some are intended to create a vacuum to drive instruments, others create a vacuum to suck out pee. :yikes:

To avoid confusion, check the location and size of the device on the other end of the hose.

And you have to be careful when you fiddle with one - some are intended to create a vacuum to drive instruments, others create a vacuum to suck out pee. :yikes:

To avoid confusion, check the location and size of the device on the other end of the hose.

Gives a whole new meaning to "waiting for your gyro to erect", eh?

"Modern" meaning "made after 1960."

Yeah, my wife this weekend told me she understood what it means when I say "newer".

I have a dual venturi setup and mine are spun up most satisfactorily by the time I finish ground taxi. Amazingly efficient. However I wouldn't trust them for instrument navigation until more consistent airflow is applied as you say.

I have a dual venturi setup and mine are spun up most satisfactorily by the time I finish ground taxi. Amazingly efficient. However I wouldn't trust them for instrument navigation until more consistent airflow is applied as you say.
I have dual venturis on mine and while I do file and fly approaches IFR, I don't depart into IMC.....I usually don't mess with the DG until I am above pattern altitude.

my intentions for 3934V

IO-360 / 210 horse continental, 34" bush wheel kit, 10" rear wheel, 1 piece windshield, 1 com & transponder, Atlee Dodge rear jump seats, and as light as possible.

Attachments

• N401F.jpg
    N401F.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 56
my intentions for 3934V

IO-360 / 210 horse continental, 34" bush wheel kit, 10" rear wheel, 1 piece windshield, 1 com & transponder, Atlee Dodge rear jump seats, and as light as possible.

That sounds like my kind of plane!!

Side-question: Anyone ever done an STC to Venturi-equip a vacuum pump aircraft as a standby vacuum source? Seems almost a no-brainer.

Side-question: Anyone ever done an STC to Venturi-equip a vacuum pump aircraft as a standby vacuum source? Seems almost a no-brainer.
yes, there are bonanzas flying with a small added venturi on the belly

Back