Help with airplane choice

Piper Dreaming

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Piper Dreaming
So I want to buy a plane.
Experimental is fine, as is certified.

Wants- must carry 2 adults and some camping/fishing gear.
Great STOL characteristics, and oversized tires for beaches, grass, etc.
Minimum 100 knots cruise speed.
More than 500 NM range is preferred.
Easy to fly.
Easy to maintain.

That cubcrafter EX3 looks good, but I'm not going to build a plane, and also never seen one in person, just pics.

I don't need every gizmo made in the panel, but a half decent panel can't hurt.

What is your current situation? PPL or in training?

Budget is obviously a factor, but the Glasair Sportsman is a nice option. Seats 4, good STOL, cruises at 150ish knots, and can be fitted with tundras (you'll obviously lose some of that 150KIAS). If you want to "go big or go home" there's a super sportsman on TaP right now.

I have my PPL, 1730 ish hours, C152, 172, 182, piper Cherokee 140, six, and American Decathlon.
The two adults are 6'2 and 230 lbs, and 5'5 and 130 lbs, say 100 lbs of stuff.

Budget is obviously a factor, but the Glasair Sportsman is a nice option. Seats 4, good STOL, cruises at 150ish knots, and can be fitted with tundras (you'll obviously lose some of that 150KIAS). If you want to "go big or go home" there's a super sportsman on TaP right now.

What is TaP?

You should get a fast plane, because you clearly intend to go in harm's way.

For a more serious answer, you need to learn to fly a tail wheel aircraft before you buy a plane. Not because it's especially difficult to learn, but because you have no idea what you want until you actually learn to fly. 90% chance you'll ignore this advice, but at least you'll be able to look back later and think "huh, maybe I should've waited to figure out what I need before I bought something."

Oh, and as someone else pointed out today, they're all easy to fly. And I believe insignificantly different in difficulty in landing.

Finally, if you're going to buy something and NOT spend the time learning to fly it well, buy something new. It helps support the industry.

You should get a fast plane, because you clearly intend to go in harm's way.

For a more serious answer, you need to learn to fly a tail wheel aircraft before you buy a plane. Not because it's especially difficult to learn, but because you have no idea what you want until you actually learn to fly. 90% chance you'll ignore this advice, but at least you'll be able to look back later and think "huh, maybe I should've waited to figure out what I need before I bought something."

Oh, and as someone else pointed out today, they're all easy to fly. And I believe insignificantly different in difficulty in landing.

Finally, if you're going to buy something and NOT spend the time learning to fly it well, buy something new. It helps support the industry.

Actually I Do know how to fly a tail dragger.

And do Not plan to put myself in harms way.

Really depends on your budget. You said EX3 looks good, that's about $200k by the time you're done and you'd have to build it yourself. You could get an old 180 or heck probably a Helio Courier for that price. On the other hand a Maule, a Scout, a Pacer or even a 170 you could get for way less than half that. Anything that has "Cub" associated with it you'll have to pay an unreasonable premium these days. Great airplanes but not an extra $50k worth of great.

Sounds like your talking about a Zenith 801 with the right engine. Not a ton of already built ones around, though, so it might be difficult to buy one.

• Build a nice E-AB Cub? Figure $300K. You can find standard Cubs in the $100s but they won’t do 100 mph with big tires. Skywagons are awesome. You can find good ones around $200K. Nose draggers will be far less expensive to insure. With big tires a 172 or 182 works well on all but really rough terrain. I used to own a Hawk XP on big tires. Great plane except for using skis, so I went to a 180. Then built a couple of Cubs. I think I’ve got the keeper combo. At least for now!

• IMG_1548.jpeg

C-206

IMG_7904%20(1).jpg

If you can fly a 182, you can fly a 206. And carry everything you want. And sleep inside if it comes down the that...

I might be a little biased though...

C-206

IMG_7904%20(1).jpg

If you can fly a 182, you can fly a 206. And carry everything you want. And sleep inside if it comes down the that...

I might be a little biased though...

So why a pic of a 172? ;)

A 206 is a LOT of airplane for two people! And the majority don't have a right side door. I hate riding shotgun in 206s.

Last edited:
How big a tire can you put on a 180?
Legally? 31" Bushwheels are approved on 180s. Too big for my taste. I've used 29s for 20 years and they wobble side-to-side as much as I can tolerate. 29 x 11 x 10 Air Hawks are also approved with Airframes 10 x 10 wheels.

So why a pic of a 172? ;)

:lol::lol::lol: Oooopsie doodles.!!

I copied 2 planes and deleted the wrong one.!!! (I am getting along in years, you know...) Yeah, no right side door does suck, especially with passengers going in and out all day.

This 206 has 29s on the mains. I have flown 206s with 31s, and they behaved Ok on pavement, unless one goes flat. Yeah, that was an interesting landing.

But I am still stuck on the 206.!! :yesnod:

1202525.jpg

Shall I assume there is a running Bonanza joke here?

C206 sounds nice, but sounds pricey to buy and operate to.
So far I haven't won the big lottery.

@Piper Dreaming you could look at the 205, which is what I got. Cheaper than a 206 and just as capable.

That said, an experimental cub variant sounds right up your alley. If your tail wheel is that good, Maule?

Shall I assume there is a running Bonanza joke here?

C206 sounds nice, but sounds pricey to buy and operate to.
So far I haven't won the big lottery.

Historically here when someone asks what plane, the response is almost always Bonanza with a lot of compelling arguments as to why it is the only plane that can do everything.
For awhile, it was a bit of an ongoing joke to the point that someone would come along saying I need a 2 seater experimental high wing, etc and it would always end up being recommended that what they really need is a Bonanza.

What I am trying to say is, Have you thought about a Bonanza?

I see you are new so I also need to point out that Al Mooney was like 9 feet tall. He gets bigger every time the Moony crowd gets offended when someone claims Mooney's are tight.

Peterson 260SE (aka Peterson Kenai) checks all the boxes as well. C182 with canards, IO-470 (260hp), 38kt stall, 74 gal fuel, 3110 gross, heavy nose gear and big tires if that is your preference. All certified. IMG_1499.jpeg

Easier to find, less costly option... 182P with Sportsman STOL, VG's, and big tires.

A 180 hp 172 is usually in the top two or three places in Alaska STOL events in the past 3 years. Last year he won Valdez including against the badass Cubs in the Bush Class. Keep in mind the best of the Cubs don’t go to STOL contests, but his numbers are impressive.

Peterson 260SE (aka Peterson Kenai) checks all the boxes as well. C182 with canards, IO-470 (260hp), 38kt stall, 74 gal fuel, 3110 gross, heavy nose gear and big tires if that is your preference. All certified. View attachment 118292

Very cool.
Never heard of one before now.

Last edited:
What I am trying to say is, Have you thought about a Bonanza?

I see you are new so I also need to point out that Al Mooney was like 9 feet tall. He gets bigger every time the Moony crowd gets offended when someone claims Mooney's are tight.

Never flown a Bonanza or Mooney, and likely never will.

Not in a rush to get places, as the getting there is 3/4 of the fun, and I like to look around.

I have more 172 time than I do in any other type.
Fast enough for me.
I would love a new 172, but at half the price they want, and available next week, not next year.

182 seems like a solid suggestion.

If i ever win the big lottery, then I can dream about the gulfstream, extra, dc3, 206, and viking 400 on floats i would buy.
Considering the $20 a year I spend on lottery tickets, that isn't likely going to happen.

Last edited:
Back